• 1 Post By MustangLife
  • 1 Post By huberoy123
  • 1 Post By speedknot
  • 1 Post By crjackson2134

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sat radio in my base GT?

Does anyone know how I can add Sat radio to my factory radio? There's no antenna so its obviously not ready. Also, has anyone experimented to find out where the best location to mount the antenna? I'd love to find the most inconspicuous location without sacrificing proper exposure.

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
Does anyone know how I can add Sat radio to my factory radio? There's no antenna so its obviously not ready. Also, has anyone experimented to find out where the best location to mount the antenna? I'd love to find the most inconspicuous location without sacrificing proper exposure.
What year is your Mustang? I know my 2011 had it from the factory. It was a little black bump on the trunk. My 12 GT500 has the same location. Thinking all 2011 and up and maybe even back earlier than that. hmm You have me wondering now if maybe it was an option and not standard, but I imagine standard as Sat radio really comes on all cars these days especially.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

It's a 2014 and it doesn't have the antenna on the trunk.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
It's a 2014 and it doesn't have the antenna on the trunk.
Guessing no button on the center console either. After thinking about it I think it came as a standard option on Premium package cars. Is yours the leather seat premium package?

If it doesn't have it a car audio shop can get it all setup and installed for you. My guess is in the $300-600 range. They will know best places to install, but along the top panels are your options. If it were me I would do the trunk so it looks more like OEM.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Stop past or call your local Best Buy audio install shop, to get an estimate. Should be less than $200 for the kit and installation. I use them for car stereo work on my daughter's car.
MustangLife likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Stop past or call your local Best Buy audio install shop, to get an estimate. Should be less than $200 for the kit and installation. I use them for car stereo work on my daughter's car.
Your Best Buy must be MUCH better than mine or I am spoiled by the 5 star tint and audio store just around the corner. haha

With that and my other post above if you are ready to buy I would check around and see if you can get a last min Black Friday deal or maybe a Cyber Monday deal. Great times to buy now at a discount as many electronics are...
huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

We have plenty of very reputable mobile audio shops near me. The Best Buy's here are known to be butcher shops. As I really don't trust anyone to work on the electronics, I normally do most of my own work. I was really looking for something factory that I could just add to my current system. Somewhere on the window sticker, it says that its Satellite ready, but I don't see any buttons on the console to even initiate that function. Not sure where they get satellite ready from, but it seems like its not even close.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
We have plenty of very reputable mobile audio shops near me. The Best Buy's here are known to be butcher shops. As I really don't trust anyone to work on the electronics, I normally do most of my own work. I was really looking for something factory that I could just add to my current system. Somewhere on the window sticker, it says that its Satellite ready, but I don't see any buttons on the console to even initiate that function. Not sure where they get satellite ready from, but it seems like its not even close.
Hmm to me satiate ready would mean it is at the least prewired for it. Go by your local ford dealer and ask the parts person for a diagram and ask what parts are needed. I know the parts people at the dealer next to me has always been more than helpful with wiring diagrams and the like as well as what parts are needed for a job.
huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:

I placed my antenna under the carpet on the shelf behind the rear seat. The magnetic base sticks to the metal shelf. Works fine for me. Got the idea from someone who posted on here several years back. Might want to experiment with this location.

I didn't like the look of the antenna in any other of the locations I tried.
MustangLife likes this.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
I placed my antenna under the carpet on the shelf behind the rear seat. The magnetic base sticks to the metal shelf. Works fine for me. Got the idea from someone who posted on here several years back. Might want to experiment with this location.
I didn't like the look of the antenna in any other of the locations I tried.
I see a few people stashing it in that spot. If it seems to work for all of you, then I wont have to experiment with it. The more I research this satellite thing, the more I want to just rip everything out and install a nice head unit. There aren't many good choices for bezels though.
huberoy123 likes this.

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I see a few people stashing it in that spot. If it seems to work for all of you, then I wont have to experiment with it. The more I research this satellite thing, the more I want to just rip everything out and install a nice head unit. There aren't many good choices for bezels though.
All this SAT talk makes me feel like I should be using my free 3 month trial. haha I never use my trials really. The couple times I did I never really felt like hey I need this. hmmmm

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you spend a lot of time in your car it can be nice at times. Also, if you have the NAV package it can add many features. For example.... Accident and road construction avoidance, or nearest/cheapest fuel stations by brand, etc...

I pay $11/mo for this and it’s worth it TO ME.
MustangLife likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in