• 2 Post By crjackson2134
  • 1 Post By 2014blackgt
  • 2 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By kenv
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Is a CAI worth it if I already have a tune?

Ive been running a Lund tune on my mustang for the last 2 years with the stock air intake. Everything has been good but ive been wanting to add some more power and wondering if a cold air intake with a new tune would add some extra HP. Ive been look at the PMAS or C&L cold air intakes, what are your opinions on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Not really. The subject has been beat like a dead horse already. Long story short... The factory CAI provides more than sufficient air flow for a normally aspirated 5.0 tune or not. You power comes from the the tune, not the CAI. I wouldn’t waste the money if power is the goal. If intake sound or aesthetics are the goal, then go for it....

kenv and Beechkid like this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Not really. The subject has been beat like a dead horse already. Long story short... The factory CAI provides more than sufficient air flow for a normally aspirated 5.0 tune or not. You power comes from the the tune, not the CAI. I wouldn’t waste the money if power is the goal. If intake sound or aesthetics are the goal, then go for it....
I agree 100 percent. [email protected] drop-in and done

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
crjackson2134 likes this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I guess it depends on what is "worth it" to you. I think there are some small gains to be had with an aftermarket intake (on top of the tune); maybe something like 5-10 HP or so. Also they look cool under the hood. And might make the intake sound more audible, depends on whether you like that or not.

Ford still uses different intakes on their high performance models like the GT350 so that pretty much debunks their claims that there are no gains to be had with a different intake . . . unless they are just doing it for show, which is possible.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

I still want to see a tune that maximizes the use of a stock intake compared to a maximized tune with an aftermarket intake. All the dyno vids I've seen compare before/after with a stock intake with stock tune compared to aftermarket intake with aftermarket tune.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^^ I have seen a comparison like that somewhere at some time, but can't remember the specifics -- IIRC the intake did produce a small gain on top of the tune, something like 10 HP . . . I think it was Steeda but not sure

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
MACH I Member

Garage
SVT Performance did some comparison testing years ago and CAI's by themselves had small gains, 10-15 hp on the dyno runs. The principal behind CAI's is to allow more, cooler, less restricted (cleaner) air flow into the throttle bodies and into the engine ports. Stock/OEM cars are set up appropriately with air boxes, TB's etc. for what the engine needs, at their birth. As you modify the engine, you may need to upgrade the other components in order for the engine to operate at peak performance.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I guess it depends on what is "worth it" to you. I think there are some small gains to be had with an aftermarket intake (on top of the tune); maybe something like 5-10 HP or so. Also they look cool under the hood. And might make the intake sound more audible, depends on whether you like that or not.

Ford still uses different intakes on their high performance models like the GT350 so that pretty much debunks their claims that there are no gains to be had with a different intake . . . unless they are just doing it for show, which is possible.
Agreed. It is an inexpensive way to add a little horsepower--and that addition will be enhanced when the tune is adjusted because of the new-and-improved CAI.

2017 GT350, Lightning Blue, no stripes, black roof, convenience pack
PONY Member

Garage
On my stock 2013 GT anyway, comparing the intake air temperature in gauge mode to the ambient air temperature on the radio panel, shows they are within a degree or two anytime the car is moving. To me this says the cold air intake is not going to supply cooler air than the OEM intake is already capable of.

To the point that Ford uses different intakes for it's performance tuned models therefore debunking the "it won't make any difference statement" on a different engine strikes me as strange logic. Those high performance models have completely differently tuned engines and in some cases entirely different engines.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, "Cold Air Intake" is not a good name; these cars come with a Cold Air Intake from the factory; that's why I always say "aftermarket intake" not "CAI" or "Cold Air Intake"

I'm pretty sure the new Bullitt and/or PP2 cars have a different intake from the other current cars with the same current Coyote engine; not only the GT350 which does have a whole different engine. Not positive about that, and it could be for show (to sell cars), but I still don't buy Ford's claims that the stock/factory intake is as good as it can get. The gains are much smaller these days than in the past, but Ford still has to please a very broad range of buyers, some of whom might not like open/exposed filter elements; and meet emissions requirements for all 50 states, some of which prohibit open filters; so that leaves some freedom for the aftermarket that Ford does not have.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

4:53 of this video,

crjackson2134 likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

Last edited by kenv; 1 Week Ago at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in