Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 GT Long Crank Starts - Repeatable Under Specific Conditions

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  thegabrielles 
#1 ·
Looking for some diagnosis help for my 2011 GT.

I'm experiencing long crank starts (4 sec+ and increasing) that occur only under specific but repeatable instances.

3 nights a week I drive to night classes an hour away. Travel is 45 minutes at highway speeds of 75 mph, with 20 minutes in normal traffic. I park at an outside lot then return 4 hours later to go home. That's when I get the long crank start. Every single time. Originally, it was only an extra second or two. (A noticeable hiccup but not a big deal.) However, it's been getting worse over the past three or so months. At home she's garaged, and I've never once had the problem. Doesn't matter if it sits for 5 minutes, 5 hours, or multiple days. I've tried restarting within a few minutes of parking (at both locations), but it doesn't occur.

It cranks strong. Sometimes I can hear it trying to catch and it'll stutter, which makes me think it's not getting fuel.

My start procedure is to ALWAYS turn the key to on, allow the needles to sweep, then turn the key for ignition (turn then release).
Since troubleshooting this, I've taken to listening for the pump to prime. However, it always sounds off.
Inspected the fuel pump wires per TSB 12-11-12, no chafing observed.
No DTCs.

She has 176k miles.
Spark plugs were changed out within the past year.
MAF sensor cleaned with CRC MAF Cleaner.
No performance mods. No tune.
Battery was replaced 2 months ago, which was was after all this started.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Psynr

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree. Here is a video of a 2005-2009 fuel pump being changed. I 'think' the 2011 is pretty much the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.