Ford Mustang Forum banner

LT 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 sound difference/comparisons ?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Xero 
#1 · (Edited)
I really didn't want to post another LT header post... But I can't seem to find and 'sound difference' posts with enough detailed information to go off of.

I have a 2012 GTCS, I currently have a bassani O/R X pipe and full 3in catback system. Of course ... it's not loud enough :grin:
Part# 5011R5 Bassani Exhaust - Bassani.com (this one)

I've been doing a bit of research and according to many forums and posts the 1 3/4 are better for N/A Coyote engines, and will keep low end hp/trq, whereas the 1 7/8 drop a little down low and add some up top.

Of course, a lot of those posts don't have any mod lists, and almost all of them say 1 7/8 is for FI applications.

However, as ... the internet goes... some report that they don't get any loss with certain headers at 1 7/8 on N/A applications. Specifically kooks LT.

While I DO want the best application for hp/trq gains, I also want to add volume to my exhaust, and not rasp if possible.
Some rasp is acceptable, but I love the way my car sounds now. Here's 2 videos I took, 1 when I changed from stock and another I used my phone for a while after. (to document any sound changes)

There is a little rasp up top, I only revved to about 5-6k because at 7k it gets quieter.

So what I'm wanting is to increase the volume of the exhaust rather than the 'rasp'

Of course, the dilemma here is 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 LT.

If I can get more volume and less rasp from 1 3/4 I am fine with that, if it gives rasp, and 1 7/8 doesn't or gives less, than I would rather go with that.

But if 1 7/8 is more volume over 1 3/4 and doesn't hurt power like 'some' say... i'd rather go that route.

I do plan to supercharge it in the future, but it will be a year or two before I finalize anything.

I'll also take recommendations based on sound from different companies.
Bassani only offers 1 3/4, but mentions their LT are less restrictive than most.

Even though my car is a 2012, 11-20 5.0 will probably have similar sounds, as I've seen a bassani exhaust like mine on an 18 and it sounds exactly the same.

I am looking at Kooks for now, but I'll have to give them a call to see if these will bolt up to the 3in system at all, it also has an O/R X pipe, so I might have to cut it worst case scenario.

Appreciate it!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know its been two weeks and you may have made your purchase. If not, I run Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers with their catted pipes. I chose the H configuration rather than the X because somewhere I heard that the X was raspy. Quite honestly, the car is noisy and I suspect that the X wouldn't had made a difference. I have the GT 500 axlebacks. I tried to make a recording but my phone is crap when it comes to that kind of stuff. I do have a recording of the car on the DYNO. I was standing next to the car as standing behind it was scarier then hell:surprise: If you want to hear it, let me know... BTW - Kooks are great headers... Not easy to install...

corky

Reactions: Xero
#4 ·
I know its been two weeks and you may have made your purchase. If not, I run Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers with their catted pipes. I chose the H configuration rather than the X because somewhere I heard that the X was raspy. Quite honestly, the car is noisy and I suspect that the X wouldn't had made a difference. I have the GT 500 axlebacks. I tried to make a recording but my phone is crap when it comes to that kind of stuff. I do have a recording of the car on the DYNO. I was standing next to the car as standing behind it was scarier then hell:surprise: If you want to hear it, let me know... BTW - Kooks are great headers... Not easy to install...
\
corky
I have heard quite a few exhaust but most of them have been corsa or borla, there was one that was a gt500 exhaust but... that was on a gt500... so not really a good comparison.
I would love to hear your exhaust if you can get a video of it,

So it’s been a month now and I’m wondering what you went with.
I ended up having to put them on hold, I'm probably going to go with 1 7/8, I talked to a mechanic I know from a car show nearby and he said that if I plan to boost my car (i'm doing a centrifugal supercharger once it's paid off in a year or so) That I would want to 100% go with the larger size... because even if there's a bit of a drop in power now, the power i would gain later would make the larger tube worth it.... not to mention it SHOULD sound a bit louder, and not as raspy with the larger header size.

#3 ·
Of course, the dilemma here is 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 LT.
So it’s been a month now and I’m wondering what you went with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.