Guesses on 1/4 for a 5.0 2011 Mustang? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Anybody seen any guesses or tests of what this thing will do with the 6 spd automatic?

I've had 7 Stangs, don't wanna shift no more!! Mine is ordered with the slushbox!

an F-15 in a sky of Cessnas......!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Ford is saying it's faster with the the automatic, no loss of performance and faster shifting!

2001 Gt (gone but not forgotten, always loved!)
Mineral Grey, KN cold air, SLP cat back, 4:10 gears, Hurst compitition plus shifter, rear window louvers, silver face gauges, Boss Shinoda chin spoiler, Kaminari side skirts, Shaker hoodscoop
Best time 14.20 @ 7000 ft elev (on G-tech performance meter).
real men drive domestic
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefurd View Post
Ford is saying it's faster with the the automatic, no loss of performance and faster shifting!
Automatic will be more consistent and faster, but less fun.

Same to me as driving a train. Put in the key and push the shift from stop to go. What the sports car in that? :p

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My guess:

3.73s. 12.6 to 12.9. 0-60 4.2 to 4.5
3.55s. 12.8 to 13.2. 0-60 4.4 to 4.8
3.31s. 13.1 to 13.5. 0-60 4.6 to 5.0

depending on driver weight and weather

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Fan View Post
Automatic will be more consistent and faster, but less fun.

Same to me as driving a train. Put in the key and push the shift from stop to go. What the sports car in that? :p
I agree, I wouldn't own with out a clutch.

2001 Gt (gone but not forgotten, always loved!)
Mineral Grey, KN cold air, SLP cat back, 4:10 gears, Hurst compitition plus shifter, rear window louvers, silver face gauges, Boss Shinoda chin spoiler, Kaminari side skirts, Shaker hoodscoop
Best time 14.20 @ 7000 ft elev (on G-tech performance meter).
real men drive domestic
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Fan View Post
You were dead on the money!
haha thanks. I thought my guess was pretty good

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
So now Ford is even saying it? Sticks really are for show and autos are for go Just kidding guys

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
Apprentice

Quote:
I agree, I wouldn't own with out a clutch.
Well like I said I've had lots of clutches and hit and missed lots of gears, blown out a rear end or two and had lots of fun! But Arthritis in the knees and not wanting to manually shift through 6 gears has sent me to an Automatic and I will enjoy the hell out of it!

an F-15 in a sky of Cessnas......!!!!!!!!
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Look at your driving also;
constantly in very slow stop an go: auto
mountains: stick
moderate traffic: either
lots if curves: stick
wide open roads: stick
lots of steep hills:stick
have a woman or kid or roomie that shares your car: auto
have arthritis: auto
have coordination issues: auto
constant multi-tasked while drivin:auto
sport driver: stick
control freak: stick
show off: stick
cars a garage queen for fun days: stick

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice

Stick shift is gonna be the faster one. Probably .3 0r .4 tenths and 1-3 MPH in the 1/4 mile over the auto.

I saw it's (6-Speed) numbers in Motor trend 12.7 @ 111 MPH. Wow!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
this old boy isn't good at appreviations !! what the hell are 4.6 4.9's ???

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
this old boy isn't good at appreviations !! what the hell are 4.6 4.9's ???

eta in seconds... 4.6 seconds to 60 miles per hour.... and 4.9 seconds etc,,,

MiNiSt3R of SiNisT3r
tuned by Ken Bjonnes. and exhaust,...
and procharged by "Power By the Hour"
566 [email protected] and 8 pounds
Apprentice
S197 Member

Last week I used a GTech Fanatic SS accelerometer to check my 0-60 and 1/4 ET and TS. This device is similar to the instruments used by most road-test magaines, so it's a good yardstick for measuring your performance; it's a simple GPS that attaches to your windshielkd with a suction cup, and can therefor accurately compute any time/distance formula by means of satellite tracking. Unfortunately, I had to send the $200 device back to the mfr. when it stopped working, probably my fault for dicking around with something I was clueless about, so I have no photographic evidence of the results. I will be sure to take pictures of the results next time around.

However, I dd get off three clean 1/4 sprints on a local deserted roadway which had a mile-long well-paved straightaway.

Note: My 2011 GT has the 6-speed automatic, Airaid CAI and Bama "Performance" 91 octane tune. Stock tires, 3.15 rear end, Hushpower mufflers, nothng fancy.

First run I came to a complete stop, pushed the "ready" button which does not start the timer until you begin to move, and floored it in "Drive," Traction Control on.

The GTech Fanatic reported a 0-to-60 time of 4.6, 1/4 mile of 12.7 @115 mph. Lots of fishtailing in first two gears, but far less than at Mason/Dixon dragway where I turned 13.2 @109 (and that was before installing the CAI).

I did second and third runs in short order immediately after the first, and each successive run was a little bit slower, which suggests that letting your engine cool down between runs may improve your times. The engine showed absolutely NO signs of distress, continued to idle at a steady 800 rpm, temp gauge straight up.

But we must also take into consideration that I was trying different launch techniques. Second run (it says here on the notepad I jotted numbers down on), I launched more gently in order to control wheelspin, gradually leaning into the throttle as I picked up speed. I think I leaned into the gas a little too gently, resulting in a 12.8 1/4, can't read my writing on the TS, but it looks like 109 mph.

Third run I split the difference in launch techniques, limited the gentle throttle to about a car-length, then stood on it. The launch felt good, there was a little loss of traction going into 2nd gear, and then the sucker hunkered down and really picked up speed -- ET was 12.9, but the speed was up to 118.

Again, this run was made less than two minutes after the previous run as I was kinda pressed for time as church was gonna let out and clog my little public raceway with drivers who HAVE been struck with the fear of god.

I was trying to get the device to pull up my previous scores (it also measures G-forces and 60-0 brake distances and I did rip off a dandy 99 foot 60-0, but I don't think that's repeatable) when I did something that caused the device to fail to operate. I sent it back to the mfr after a phone call.

Anyway, this is great performance for a lightly-modified Mustang. When I first joined this group I was grousing about the magazines getting better perfermance numbers than I did at the track.

Now that I've used the GTech SS, I know how they did it. So now that we're comparing apples to apples, my little Mustang ROCKS!

Last edited by Pete Denzer; 02-22-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: badd speling
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
The GTech Fanatic reported a 0-to-60 time of 4.6, 1/4 mile of 12.7 @115 mph. Lots of fishtailing in first two gears, but far less than at Mason/Dixon dragway where I turned 13.2 @109 (and that was before installing the CAI).
I am very impressed with these numbers! Makes me wish I instead, got the automatic, but nonetheless, I am very happy with my Mustang. I very rarely get on mine because every time I do, I get that guilty feeling like I "abused" it. I never powershift or powerbreak - just get on it and shift fast and inadvertently albeit moderately hard. I got on it yesterday and I believe my tires were a bit wet after a wash, but I was skidding through first and second. When I went to go into third, I hit 5th instead; oh well. Anyhow my first upgrade will be the Airraid CAI and a bama tune too, which I hope I'll be able to feel. :hihi:

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
Apprentice
S197 Member

[I am very impressed with these numbers! Makes me wish I instead, got the automatic, but nonetheless, I am very happy with my Mustang.... Anyhow my first upgrade will be the Airraid CAI and a bama tune too, which I hope I'll be able to feel. :hihi:[/quote]

My main reason for getting the automatic was my buggered-up left foot, mangled in a bike accident a few years ago. But after racing with stick-shifters at the Mason/Dixon during a couple of "run what you brung" tuning afternoons, I found the automatic was much less hassle. No fried clutches, missed shifts or jammed linkage. Just point and shoot, the big issue is whether to start with one foot on the brake and how much throttle to come off with. Once launched, let the auto do he work, with the Bama tune the engine will redline in third and fourth, but not the first two gears, I think that's the Traction Control doing its thing. I've tried launching with the TC off, too much wheelspin with stock tires, slicks would dramatically improve my times, maybe get me into low to mid 12s.

The MT allows more control over wheelspin, no doubt, but shifting is still kinda hit-or-miss under pressure, and a lot of drivers baby their trannies in order to be able to drive home, and they lose valuable tenths because of this.

I was a stick-shifter for years, and quite good at it (I like to think). But modern automatics are so good that anyone considering a new or late-model performance car should test-drive both auto and stick before deciding.

And all that being said, the Airaid/Bama combo ROCKS!

JMHO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page