TPMS on aftermarket wheels - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

TPMS on aftermarket wheels

I'm planning to get the GT500 style 19x8.5 wheels from americanmuscle.com, $200 per wheel, as in this link (http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-gt500-19x8-9410.html). The car I ordered will come with 19 in Premium Painted Luster-Nickel wheels. I would swap wheels, keep the delivered 19 in tires, use the delivered TPMS components, and sell the delivered wheels.

So I asked my dealer if he could swap out the wheels the car is coming with and install these GT500-type wheels, in his service dept. (I would order the wheels and get them before car comes.) That way I'd have the new wheels when I pick the car up.

The dealer said:

"I asked and tire pressure sensors are a band on the rim and can not be swapped, our cost $80 for the new band plus tire swap. Discount tired might be or better than our cost. Plus they specialize in this type of thing."

My questions of all you experts -

Do the factory Mustang wheels have a band, that is not interchangeable?

Americanmuscle.com has valve stem mounted TPMS sensor ($50 per wheel) & a transmitter tool ($35). Should I get those, & hope they will play nice with the Ford TPMS receiver?

How have you guys handled TPMS on aftermarket wheels?

Thanks.

OK - just saw kimbo1's post. Those look like the exact same wheels.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i am not sure, too bad you didnt just go with the basic wheels then ya wouldnt have had extra money involved in the 19s and woulda been str8 profit. But yeah that tps thing is expensive anywhere i have gone. Should look at partscheap.com n see if they have anything. Or go to local tire place that focuses on tires

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

I got my wheels today and will be going to get them put on tomorrow. I was told that the 2010+ have the TPMS in the valve stems so why can't you just swap the rims using the stock tires?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The Guy at your dealership is stuck in 2009, 2010 on up has the TPMS in the Valve Stems. In fact on AM's website it has different TPMS for the 2010-11.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks guys. I'm no doubt better off swapping out the rims anywhere but at the dealer. So just use the stem based TPMS transmitters that come with the factory wheels, and that's it?

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I bought 20" Foose wheels from Cruizin' Concepts. I paid extra for the valve-stem TPMS sensors. My 2011 GT just has the stock wheels, which I will probably sell. Before I bought the new wheels and tires, I checked on TPMS. Called the dealer, a body shop, and a tire shop.

From what I gathered, last gen Mustangs 2005-2009 use the bands,which do break when removed and need to be replaced. Since 2010+ uses the valve stem version, that's not an issue. I think the TPMS is part of the tire and is just a matter of putting the factory tire on the new wheel. Since I went with aftermarket wheels and tires, I paid extra.

For what it's worth, my body shop offered to swap the factory TPMS onto some aftermarket wheels/tires they were selling, but the price through Cruizin was better even with new TPMS than the body shop was offering. I think the only thing I have to do is get the new TPMS calibrated to my Mustang.

My wheels should arrive Friday, so I'll post pics. Probably not going on car until week after next due to some other mods I'm planning. I'll let you know how it all goes.

2011 GT Premium Convertible Automatic = Received 05/28/10.
Completed mods:
-Tinted windows and all lamps (6/2010); Aftermarket speakers, amps, and 12" sub (7/2010); Staggered 20" wheels and tires (7/2010); Magnaflow axle-back (8/2010); SCT/Bama Custom Tune (8/2010); Sport rotors (8/2010); Pushbutton ignition and keyless entry (11/2010); Supercharger (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page