**The Official CAI Mega Thread** - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Ignore Poll
Because I Can't 0 0%
Get Rid of It 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
 
ganador01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: dallas
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
I have the Steeda too and it's a very high quality piece. Does the JLT make use of the factory front cold air feed according to the picture above?? Hard to tell. If not, That's a huge design error in this day and age and reason to skip. The Steeda will run at ambient temps while underway due to its use of the factory air feed and the air routing design.

Steeda:
Of the 2 shops that are not magazines and or subsidized (that i have read about on various forums), have shown that the JLT is showing a bit more RWHP gains than the steeda.

They are attributing this to the sleaker design. Granted, all dyno runs are done with fans and generally the hood up. Real world gains could fall towards the steeda side given car speed.

The steeda has a bit more of a severe bend.

Both require tuning to use it seems.

ganador01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
PONY Member
 
2011gt310's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 350
 
AEM just finished making an intake on my car for prototype work. it should be a really legit intake. i saw it and its sexy


2013 Boss 302
2011gt310 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Hqen2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 305
 
What's the price difference with JLT vs Steeda?
Hqen2000 is offline  
 
PONY Member
 
Entrenched's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 407
 
jlt

JLT $349 vs Steeda $399. And JLT does use the factory cold air routed through the front bumper.

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
Entrenched is offline  
Apprentice
 
david borla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 81
 
We just completed our long tube headers for the 2011 5.0L and since the sound changes so dramatically with long tubes we have also created a full 3" exhaust to accompany these headers. The mufflers on this 3" system have been tuned to work with our long tubes so you can have a fully integrated "race" system for track days that maximizes performance and sounds great.

Everything we are designing for this platform is modular so you can mix and match to suit your needs.
david borla is offline  
PONY Member
 
Cpowell5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 406
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt310 View Post
AEM just finished making an intake on my car for prototype work. it should be a really legit intake. i saw it and its sexy
Is it going to be a closed box style?

2016 Fastback GT Base model with Performance Package.
Cpowell5.0 is offline  
Rookie
 
ganador01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: dallas
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
We just completed our long tube headers for the 2011 5.0L and since the sound changes so dramatically with long tubes we have also created a full 3" exhaust to accompany these headers. The mufflers on this 3" system have been tuned to work with our long tubes so you can have a fully integrated "race" system for track days that maximizes performance and sounds great.

Everything we are designing for this platform is modular so you can mix and match to suit your needs.

You have any info on your headers compared to say an ARH or a Kooks? Haven't bought my headers yet, but was planning on using the ARH because of their known high quality. Also, our shop gets a bit of a discount on them.
ganador01 is offline  
Apprentice
 
david borla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 81
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganador01 View Post
You have any info on your headers compared to say an ARH or a Kooks? Haven't bought my headers yet, but was planning on using the ARH because of their known high quality. Also, our shop gets a bit of a discount on them.

Running the dyno today, will keep you posted.
david borla is offline  
Rookie
 
ganador01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: dallas
Posts: 10
 
Ok thanks. Checked your website and couldn't find anything. So, I am assuming this is an up and coming product.

Once you get the dyno back, would be interesting to get some specifics.
ganador01 is offline  
Apprentice
 
david borla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 81
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganador01 View Post
Ok thanks. Checked your website and couldn't find anything. So, I am assuming this is an up and coming product.

Once you get the dyno back, would be interesting to get some specifics.

Yes, both the LT headers and the 3" exhaust to go with will be released shortly. Will let you know the dyno results as soon as we have them. Thanks for your interest.
david borla is offline  
Rookie
 
nwmastiffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: washougal
Posts: 33
 
When you say "race system" do you mean to loud for the street?
nwmastiffs is offline  
Apprentice
 
david borla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 81
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmastiffs View Post
When you say "race system" do you mean to loud for the street?

Sound ordinances vary from state to state so you can't really correctly make a general statement about the legalities of decibel level. Some states have no ordinances at all which means you can be as loud as you like.

We use the term "race" for systems that are intended to by used exclusively at the race track and do not meet emissions standards for public roads. These systems traditionally make a lot more power than their street legal counterparts, but will not pass the emissions testing required to register your vehicle.

In this case, only the long tube headers are for "race" use only. The 3" exhaust can be used with stock headers to maintain emissions legality. However, the 3" exhaust was designed and intended to accompany the long tube headers.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers
david borla is offline  
Rookie
 
ganador01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: dallas
Posts: 10
 
Is this because of the high flow cats? What exactly is making the system non street legal?
ganador01 is offline  
Apprentice
 
david borla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Oxnard
Posts: 81
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganador01 View Post
Is this because of the high flow cats? What exactly is making the system non street legal?

As far as federal laws and The EPA are concerned, high flow cats are just as illegal as no cats at all. So, we remove them altogether because the performance gains are better. Unfortunately, this also makes them illegal for public roads and highways.

The only catalytic converters that are federally legal for your 5.0L Mustang are the same exact cats the car came with, in the same exact locations. If your cats fail, you have to replace them with the same exact part numbers from Ford and put them in exactly the same locations or your car does not meet federal emissions guidelines.

Using anything other than the stock cats does not make sense from a legal perspective
david borla is offline  
Rookie
 
ganador01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: dallas
Posts: 10
 
Well, I guess most of us "enthusiasts" go by the code as to whether we get caught vs whether its legal.

Can I get a car with high flow cats to pass an emissions test that is 50 states legal? Yep.

Can I get a car with no cats to pass an emissions test that is 50 states legal? I doubt it.

I guess that's where most companies decide to throw on high flow cats versus none at all. It's a case of going around the law as to completely ignoring it. Are high flow cats EPA and CARB approved? Nope. Will you get a ticket if you get caught with them. Yes. I think its 150 per modified cat. Do the 7 dollar an hour techs at most emissions shops check for carb certification on your cats? Not to my knowledge

ganador01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
airaid , boss , cai , cats , coil covers , deletes , emblem , engine bay , intake , power , removal , steeda , tune

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1