Get Rid of It 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2196 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

**The Official CAI Mega Thread**

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
ROUSH Performance: 2010-2011 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Kit

I don't want to tune my car (and probably can't due to California law). However, the installation instruction manual says "for offroad use only". Why would this be the case? This seems like a rather mild modification. The Steeda CAI requires a tune, so I'm just trying to find what options are available for me.

I know I can just get a regular drop in K&N filter, but I like how the cone filters look and it's probably a little better air flow. (maybe that's a silly reason to get it).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

why wouldn't you want a tune?

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
post #3 of 2196 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSBlackJack View Post
why wouldn't you want a tune?
Because it would be illegal here and probably very detectable and non-reversable during a smog check.

Apprentice
S197 Member

A tune would be super reversible, buy an SCT tuner and you can have 3 tunes on the programmer. One being the stock tune. It only takes a few minutes and you would be at stock levels. Plus I'm sure they will make Cali street legal tunes. I thought the Roush was a plug and play, not requiring a tune and not "off-road only". Maybe I'm wrong.

Original Order: 5/22/10, Never scheduled.
Canceled by dealer on 8/11/10 (11 weeks).

New Order Placed By dealership: Build Date 8-26-10
Delivered 9-14-10!!!!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium. 401A, Brembo Brakes, Glass Roof, Navigation, Rear Camera, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73 Rear End, 6 Speed Manual. Magnaflow exhaust.
PONY Member

I never play by the rules lol, Soon as my car arrives I will rip those California emission system right off its the first year Maryland is going to be using it also! I always tint up my car so I guess Im a rule breaker because I always tune my vehicles also! Have fun with it man, its all reversible I would not suggest doing an Off Road Pipe because in cali they probably look for that stuff but a tune and air intake is undetectable unless u pop the hood for the CAI!
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Modding your car these days in California is a risky game to play.The sheriffs and CHP actually have mobile checkpoints that they set up and check for illegal modifications including all parts that are not original equipment and do not have a CARB exemption.

I believe BBK is the only company at the moment that has a CARB certfied CAI.It cost lots of money and time to get the carb E.O.# but hopefully more smog legal parts will be comming for the new 5.0

I think the Roush CAI would be a good mod and should flow equal to or better than stock/drop in and on a 2011 I doubt that most Leo's would write you up for it.I'm going with the Steeda/SCT combo myself and even thought about the ARH longtubes but decided to keep the stock maifolds for now.

Things are so much easier than back in the day when I had my fox body 5.0's.You can make nice gains with just a tune and a few bolt on's and return to stock if needed.I wont need to smog my car for 6 years so I could actually go crazy with mods.The thing is if you get caught you will have to go to inspection and you will be screwed!!

I say go for it because you only live once

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
Rookie

WE dyno'd this intake prior to the construction of our new twin turbo kit for the 5.0 4v - it made a repeatable 5hp and 3ft/lbs. 8 and 8 never happened - sounded better as well. Ford did a great job this time with the stock stuff
post #8 of 2196 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8 View Post
Modding your car these days in California is a risky game to play.The sheriffs and CHP actually have mobile checkpoints that they set up and check for illegal modifications including all parts that are not original equipment and do not have a CARB exemption.
This is why California is in so much debt. They have cops out there wasting their time trying to enforce the whims of the environmentalist without any reason. There is absolutely no way a CAI will cause any change to emissions output. Meanwhile, people are still running old cars, motorcycles, and leaf blowers without cats because they are all exempt; Not to mention the high energy consumption of the averaeg McMansions here, but hey, they have a Toyota Prius parked in the garage, so it's all good
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'd pony up the extra dough for one of the intake/tuner combos from the sponsors.
If you keep your stock intake, you can re-flash the car to stock, and install the stock intake in less than an hour. Not much effort for 30 extra HP.

2013 Boss 302 #974
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Seems like you have all the answers, why ask the question in the original post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
This is why California is in so much debt. They have cops out there wasting their time trying to enforce the whims of the environmentalist without any reason. There is absolutely no way a CAI will cause any change to emissions output. Meanwhile, people are still running old cars, motorcycles, and leaf blowers without cats because they are all exempt; Not to mention the high energy consumption of the averaeg McMansions here, but hey, they have a Toyota Prius parked in the garage, so it's all good

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #11 of 2196 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was hoping someone could recommend an alternative part, but apparently none exists yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
Seems like you have all the answers, why ask the question in the original post?
Apprentice
S197 Member

It appears you have an answer, it's just not what you are looking for.
If you only have to worry about the smog check every two years or so, what's so difficult about swapping intakes/tunes from a handheld? It's really less than an hours work, every two years.....
I guess I don't get it.
:?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
I was hoping someone could recommend an alternative part, but apparently none exists yet.

2013 Boss 302 #974
Apprentice

Decided to go with the Roush for a few reasons. It looks and fits like facory, price, hooks up the stock cold air feed on bottom side and built with factory type plastic which prevents heat. It might also be a bit quieter than Steeda or C&L (both nice units) which is one concern. The negatives are keeping the stock resonators since the stock tube is reused and might make a couple hp less than others. My first three mods are Magnaflow Street axleback (sound great), SCT tune and Roush CAI. I plan on cams and a custom tune in the future - are you all ready to shell out about $1200 for cams ? Oh and that sound tube - deleted - see my post on AFM !
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAz5.0 View Post
Decided to go with the Roush for a few reasons. It looks and fits like facory, price, hooks up the stock cold air feed on bottom side and built with factory type plastic which prevents heat. It might also be a bit quieter than Steeda or C&L (both nice units) which is one concern. The negatives are keeping the stock resonators since the stock tube is reused and might make a couple hp less than others. My first three mods are Magnaflow Street axleback (sound great), SCT tune and Roush CAI. I plan on cams and a custom tune in the future - are you all ready to shell out about $1200 for cams ? Oh and that sound tube - deleted - see my post on AFM !
anyway you could make a video to hear the magnaflows at idle, revving, and WOT <---lol, J/K unless you're willing!!
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
it says in the description, "fits 2010 Mustang GT", but the title says 2010-11....

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airaid , boss , cai , cats , coil covers , deletes , emblem , engine bay , intake , power , removal , steeda , tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page