Traction Control off-How to spin the tires? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Traction Control off-How to spin the tires?

Black GT-

3:73's, Brembo's with the 19" tires. 6 speed manual

OK I think I am beyond any form of break in. 1400Km on her.

And maybe I a moron.

I tried to "lay some rubber tonight" (which will not be often)

So without popping the clutch how can I lay some rubber.

turned TC off.

Used to be able to do it my old Windsor 5.0 no problem.

Sorry I am 48 and want to do it at least once. But don;t want to burn the clutch. Or wear out those expensive tires.

(I used to be able to do a 50 feet burn out in a 79 Pinto (LOL) in reverse-rev the crap out of it and pop the clutch-very cool back then against Camaro's and Firebirds-Wore clutch out in 1 1/2 years but back then cost less then $200 to replace)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

A 2011 GT with 3:73 gears should be easy to lay rubber.

You don't have to rev too high, try 2000 and launch it. Unless you really abuse it, an occasional aggressive take off shouldn't tear up the clutch but would be enough to smoke the tires.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I can barely cruise in first gear and just floor it and it'll light them up like the 4th of July. Dropping the clutch will do too and like mentioned, it won't burn up the clutch unless you get to crazy or do it alot. Also if you peel out once or a few times, it won't wear out your tires. Just don't do a long long burn out.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
I can barely cruise in first gear and just floor it and it'll light them up like the 4th of July. Dropping the clutch will do too and like mentioned, it won't burn up the clutch unless you get to crazy or do it alot. Also if you peel out once or a few times, it won't wear out your tires. Just don't do a long long burn out.
So hey is to turn the TC off? What about the ESC?

(I have the Canadian performance package with I guess has the Sport mode)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevmack View Post
So hey is to turn the TC off? What about the ESC?

(I have the Canadian performance package with I guess has the Sport mode)
To turn on sport mode, you have to press the brake and hit the TC button twice. If you just click it, everything goes off. Just rev it up a bit (doesnt take much, maybe 3k rpm) and drop the clutch. It wont burn up because the clutch is only slipping for a second. I have 3.73's and a 6 speed in mine also, and I can roast the tires through second. Spinning them in first is easier than making easy mac.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy 06 View Post
To turn on sport mode, you have to press the brake and hit the TC button twice. If you just click it, everything goes off. Just rev it up a bit (doesnt take much, maybe 3k rpm) and drop the clutch. It wont burn up because the clutch is only slipping for a second. I have 3.73's and a 6 speed in mine also, and I can roast the tires through second. Spinning them in first is easier than making easy mac.

correction, to turn everything off you got to hold down the brake and the button for 5 seconds!

2013 Boss 302
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010
GT Member

Will we be getting wheel hop on this car or will the tires just spin? I haven't tried to "burn rubber" yet either!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010
Rookie

When you start up press the brake pedal and hold the TC button for a few seconds until "Advancetrac Off" is displayed. This provides full, unrestrained power at all times regardless of traction or geometric conditions of vehicle. Exercise caution at all times when doing this. To re-enable either hit the TC button until "Advancetrac On" is displayed or just restart your car. The OP wanted to know how to do a good burnout. I would not recommend this to someone who is new to 400+ hp cars!

2011 GT 5.0 Black 300A, 6M, 3.55, 18" wheels, added oem tower brace purchased from parts. No mods. Yet!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt310 View Post
correction, to turn everything off you got to hold down the brake and the button for 5 seconds!
I click mine, and it says "advancetrac off". I have done burnouts through second by doing this. Twice.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
Rookie

I think the throttle by wire, torque management and AdvanceTrac setup prevents the hard launch you're looking for. Even with the traction control and AdvanceTrac turned off my '10 doesn't launch as hard as my '04 did with less power. An SCT tuner and Bama tune should make it right.
GT Member

This is my understanding:
  1. Pressing the button once turns off TC
  2. Pressing it two times while you hold the brake (or ride the brakes) puts it in sport mode. TC is less and ESC is less for the track.
  3. Pressing it for 5 seconds while you hold or ride the brake takes both ESC and TC off completely.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
This is my understanding:
  1. Pressing the button once turns off TC
  2. Pressing it two times while you hold the brake (or ride the brakes) puts it in sport mode. TC is less and ESC is less for the track.
  3. Pressing it for 5 seconds while you hold or ride the brake takes both ESC and TC off completely.
I think you have to be at a standstill; speedo at 0 in order to disable ESC/TC.

2010 Ford Mustang GT 5MT - Kona Blue

Mods: Muffler Delete - Clear Bra - Custom Matte Black Stripes - 20% Tint - Eibach Pro-Kit - Steeda Rear Sway Bar - GT 500 Steering Wheel - Pedestal Spoiler - Infinity Component Speakers
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
I think you have to be at a standstill; speedo at 0 in order to disable ESC/TC.
I'll try it during lunch today. I could have sworn it worked... I know the other two work while driving.

Bryce
---------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page