Borla exhaust is out? anyone try it? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

David:

Could you please give me a better idea as to how much louder (from the outside) the S-Type system is when compared to the Touring system? This is the only thing I find tough to determine through online videos.

Would you mind giving a rough guess as to how loud each system is compared to stock?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an S-Type system for my 5.0 but may want to go with the Touring system if the S-Type is too loud.

Thanks,

Robby

--Ordered May 13, 2010-- --Built June 9, 2010-- --Delivered July 14, 2010--
| 2011 Mustang GT | Black | 6-Speed Manual | Premium 401a Package | Brick Red Interior | Brembos | 3.73 Rear Axel | Glass Roof | Electronics Package | Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Borla

David,

will there be part numbers for catbacks without the xpipes. I don't want a true catback w/o the x, since i've already got one.

Thanks,

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
PONY Member

WOW did I read it wrong almost 1k for axle backs?? I know borla is good stuff but I don't think any axle back is worth that much! I am sure some people will pay it though!

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubyu View Post
WOW did I read it wrong almost 1k for axle backs?? I know borla is good stuff but I don't think any axle back is worth that much! I am sure some people will pay it though!

The prices listed on our website are full retail and you will find better pricing through your Mustang parts distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernixon View Post
David:

Could you please give me a better idea as to how much louder (from the outside) the S-Type system is when compared to the Touring system? This is the only thing I find tough to determine through online videos.

Would you mind giving a rough guess as to how loud each system is compared to stock?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an S-Type system for my 5.0 but may want to go with the Touring system if the S-Type is too loud.

Thanks,

Robby
It's all so subjective, hard for me to know what "too loud" is and there's such a broad spectrum which is why we have 3 sound levels. But with that being said, the S-Type is certainly aggressive, especially at high RPMs. If you drive normally, the S-Type has a certain warmth to it that makes it less aggressive than the ATAK. Crusing, idling, light acceleration etc is all much less aggressive than the ATAK but you'll hear in the video that when you plant your foot, the S-Type let's people know you're coming for sure. The Touring system has a mellow sound all around. Nice low rumble at start up, much different from stock, but nothing that's going to really turn any heads. Under WOT the Touring system is at its loudest and it has a strong yet refined sound that is well contained. It's really the note of the the Touring system that makes it so different from stock. It's only a bit louder. S-Type is much louder than stock for sure but not as loud as ATAK. The video will explain a lot. We need a few more days until we're done with it.

One of the more important elements of all 3 options is that there are no droning issues anywhere in the RPM range, in any gear, at any speed, automatic or manual. Short shift, 2K, up hills, it's all good! All of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpowell5.0 View Post
When should we be expecting soundsclips of the three exhausts? I cant wait! lol
I'm really hoping by Friday Thanks for your interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrenched View Post
David,

will there be part numbers for catbacks without the xpipes. I don't want a true catback w/o the x, since i've already got one.

Thanks,
Right now we offer cat-backs (including x-pipe and over axle pipes) and rear sections. Is that what you mean?

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-17-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
It's all so subjective, hard for me to know what "too loud" is and there's such a broad spectrum which is why we have 3 sound levels. But with that being said, the S-Type is certainly aggressive, especially at high RPMs. If you drive normally, the S-Type has a certain warmth to it that makes it less aggressive than the ATAK. Crusing, idling, light acceleration etc is all much less aggressive than the ATAK but you'll hear in the video that when you plant your foot, the S-Type let's people know you're coming for sure. The Touring system has a mellow sound all around. Nice low rumble at start up, much different from stock, but nothing that's going to really turn any heads. Under WOT the Touring system is at its loudest and it has a strong yet refined sound that is well contained. It's really the note of the the Touring system that makes it so different from stock. It's only a bit louder. S-Type is much louder than stock for sure but not as loud as ATAK. The video will explain a lot. We need a few more days until we're done with it.

One of the more important elements of all 3 options is that there are no droning issues anywhere in the RPM range, in any gear, at any speed, automatic or manual. Short shift, 2K, up hills, it's all good! All of them!
Thanks for the response. Sounds like the S-Type system is what I am looking for. I am looking for a bit of an increase in volume at the right times. Not something that is going to shake my neighbors out of bed when I am leaving for work at 3 in the morning and have every dog and child in the vicinity yapping, screaming, and crying lol (though it would be fun a few times ) Sounds like the ATAK is way too aggressive for my needs.

--Ordered May 13, 2010-- --Built June 9, 2010-- --Delivered July 14, 2010--
| 2011 Mustang GT | Black | 6-Speed Manual | Premium 401a Package | Brick Red Interior | Brembos | 3.73 Rear Axel | Glass Roof | Electronics Package | Spoiler
Apprentice

Care about POWER the Most (It's ALL About the Low ET), so that being said, will this Borla Cat-Back make MORE Power than the Magnaflow?? Will it be much Cheaper than the $1200 for the COMPLETE Magnaflow Cat Back???

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboba6 View Post
Care about POWER the Most (It's ALL About the Low ET), so that being said, will this Borla Cat-Back make MORE Power than the Magnaflow?? Will it be much Cheaper than the $1200 for the COMPLETE Magnaflow Cat Back???
Please remember that exhaust systems do not MAKE any power. What a good performance exhaust system does is relieve restriction and maximize exhaust gas velocity which allows the engine to reach further into its power potential (when compared to the stock exhaust). In over 30 years of working on Mustangs we've never had a problem maximizing performance and that's why a guy like Carol Shelby puts Borla exhaust systems on cars that bear his name. He has personally chosen to use our products for decades solely because of their features and benefits. He can use any brand he wants to and while I understand and respect your question, if Carol Shelby exclusively buys Borla for his Mustangs it's probably safe to say that you don't have to worry about any power issues with Borla products. We don't pay Carol Shelby to use our products, he uses them because he tests everything available and uses what works best.

You are correct that Magnaflow is a cheaper product than Borla. There is no mystery here because Magnaflow uses a much cheaper material in the construction of their exhaust systems. The price difference is directly related to material and the cost information is available to anyone. Look at the price difference between the austenitic stainless steel Borla uses vs. the ferretic stainless steel Magnaflow uses. Like gold, silver, titanium or any special metal, there are a wide variety of grades of stainless steel and the quality/durability can vary greatly as well as the cost.

Also, to further distinguish Borla from Magnaflow, Borla has used dramatically different muffler designs for our 2011 5.0L mustang exhaust offerings and the sound enhancements will be much different than anything else available. Our muffler patents allow us to incorporate technical elements that you cannot find with any other brand. Since the motor for the 5.0L is so different it took a totally different approach the get the right 3 different sound levels/qualities we offer.

And after all this, the price difference will be negligible anyhow and there's no question you'll get more than your money's worth with a Borla Exhaust for your Mustang.

Thanks for you interest!
Apprentice

OK, Let me pose this question Another way:

1. Whats the EXACT Price for the Full Catback System Discounted and Retail?? Or are you scared to say??

2. Exactly how much Extra Power?? 12-15HP??

Thanks in Advance!!

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
PONY Member

Quote:
OK, Let me pose this question Another way:

1. Whats the EXACT Price for the Full Catback System Discounted and Retail?? Or are you scared to say??

2. Exactly how much Extra Power?? 12-15HP??

Thanks in Advance!!
I think you missed his answers so I'll reiterate them.

1. He told you what MSRP is. He does not set retail price from his retailers/distrubitors/dealers. Find some places selling them and compare for yourself. I highly doubt ANY manufacturer is going to give actual production cost on ANYTHING they make. Borla's prices to retailers/distributors depends on a LOT of factors. Volume, price of manufacturing at the time, cost of shipping, etc. Do some legwork of your own if you want to find "the best price".

2. Re-read his last post, especially the very first sentence.

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
Apprentice

NOWHERE is the Exact MSRP Given!!! ReRead it 5 times!! Must be a Govt. Secret!!
And NO HP Figures were given either, just a bunch of BS about Carol Shelby!!

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
relax dude, your taking this tread off topic.

Why dont you place a call to Borla & ask all those ?s.

Manny

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT/CS, 6spd A/T, Electronic Pkg, Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg
FRPP M-FR3-MGTA Handling Pack | Steeda CAI & Tune | Custom Magnaflow & Bassani X | Foose 20"s | 35% Tint | Saleen grill

Last piece of the puzzle:
Saleen S281 Powerflow Hood
PONY Member

Quote:
HP figures will vary with different setups because the exhaust does not make hp it frees it up, like David from borla said

2016 Fastback GT Base model with Performance Package.
Apprentice

Quote:
I posted a link within this thread 2 days ago that lists the exact MSRP of all the cat-backs and rear sections we offer for the 2011 5.0L. There have been a lot of posts so maybe you just didn't see it? Anyhow, if you look back and can't find that link, please send me a PM and I'll send you pricing info right away.

Regarding dyno figures, I understand your hesitance to give any credibility to Carol Shelby and assure you that there will be numerous tests from reputable 3rd parties available soon.

Thanks for your interest!
Apprentice

Quote:
LOL, someone needs some
Apprentice

This is the exhaust i was waiting to hear!

2011 Brembo GT 373 gears Premium PkG Saddle Born On Sept 6 2011 Got her 10/4/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page