Borla exhaust is out? anyone try it? - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointoh View Post
i am looking for an axel-back setup and am trying to decide between the s-type and atak. which one of the 2 is considered to be the more "aggressive" or "loud" version? borla's site says the atak is the loudest, whereas Jim says on his website that the s-type is the loudest and most aggressive. my 5.0 is a daily driver so i don't really want a system that's meant for a weekend car or car show car. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I think this is an issue of semantics. "Aggressive" is subjective, "Loud" is not subjective. There's no question they sound different from one another and to decide which one is more "aggressive" is really a matter of opinion (as far as I can tell). The best way I can describe the difference is that the sound of the S-Type has more body and warmth than the ATAK which is a bit raspier. Regarding how "loud" they are, The ATAK is about 2 decibels louder than the S-Type which is negligible and not necessarily audible to the human ear. So, there's no surprise that there hasn't been a consensus of which system is more "aggressive" because they are both very strong and loud. However, technically the ATAK is louder.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I have the s type on my 5.0

I have since stopped using my stereo and a/c, the sound is that awesome and it's adddictive

But as Borla says, the sound in the cabin when cruising on the highway is practically non-existent. While granny driving, it is there, but in no way obnoxious. But when you hammer it, it is pretty intense. I guess it depends on your taste.

Im glad I spent the extra for borla because I was worried about how loud it would be inside while driving like a respectable member of society, but that's not an issue.

I wish I could hear the ATAK, because now I think maybe I should have gotten that system. It also seems as though the sound has mellowed a bit since I put them on about 500 miles ago.

2011 Sterling Gray GT Premium
3.55 | 6MT | Factory 19's | Security Package
Mods: Borla S-type axlebacks, sound, tint, louvers, Epco shift knob, Airaid CAI, BAMA 93 Race tune, Batron shifter and 2 post bracket

The few, the Proud, the 5.0's.....
Rookie

I have a question for Mr. Borla. I previously owned a 2006 gt with Borla stingers on it . Loved the sound, hated the drone! Which of the 3 new exhaust would you say is comparable (loudness and tone) to the stingers ?

Apprentice

Mr. Borla, I was wondering if you might be able to give me a bit of advice.

I keep going back and forth between the touring and the s-type exhaust. I live in a neighborhood with lots of babies and small children and I often leave for work before the sun comes up.

I am looking for an exhaust system that isn't a whole lot louder than stock under low acceleration (that is I don't want to wake up the sleeping babies), but I want something that is noticeably louder and deeper/throatier than the stock exhaust when under hard acceleration or higher rpms.

2011 Mustang GT, 577 rwhp 475 ft-lbs
Grabber Blue
, 6spd mannual, Brembos, 3.73s, HID, security pack, 401A interior, GT500 spoiler and California Special/BOSS 302 front fascia.

Roush Phase II supercharger kit with CAI, Steeda custom dyno tune, STEEDA TRI-AX short shifter, Eibach pro kit springs, KONI STR.T shocks and struts, BMR panhard bar and camber bolts, JLT oil separator, Mickey Thompson street comp performance radials (255/285 19s), Velgen VMB5 gun metal wheels, and Borla S-Type axle back exhaust.
PONY Member

Borla 40842S Borla ''S-Type'' Mufflers

what do you guys think about swapping these in for the factory resonators and just running some kind of shop-made muffler delete setup out the back? Think it would sound ok?

2011 Mustang GT premium, Black on Black, 6 speed manual,Brembo pckg,HID's,3.73's, appearance package, Security,Comfort,Roush Axelback, Q Ball shifer, Bama Race Tuned, UMI Brackets and LCA's, K&N drop in filter and more to come...
PONY Member

Based on all all sound clips ive listened to i ordered roush which at $379 is best bang for the buck & great build quality! Its not fo the meek & mild but similar dbs at similar rpms. Pay more if you think $=better.

2011 Mustang 5.0 412HP SG Charcoal Premium Comfort: Auto, Secure & NAV, Remote, HID, ButtCam & GTcs wheels, Sport Stripes, Roush AB's & plush 5.0 Mats!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Chip View Post
I have a question for Mr. Borla. I previously owned a 2006 gt with Borla stingers on it . Loved the sound, hated the drone! Which of the 3 new exhaust would you say is comparable (loudness and tone) to the stingers ?
We combined our traditional, patented XR1 technology with some new design elements for the 2011 5.0L and came up with a radically different muffler than anything else on the market. The "S-Type" for the 2011 5.0L is comparable to the exhaust you mention above but there is absolutely no drone at any RPM, in any gear. Please keep in mind that the engine itself sounds a lot different than the previous Mustang and as a result the exhaust note will always be a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossy207 View Post
Mr. Borla, I was wondering if you might be able to give me a bit of advice.

I keep going back and forth between the touring and the s-type exhaust. I live in a neighborhood with lots of babies and small children and I often leave for work before the sun comes up.

I am looking for an exhaust system that isn't a whole lot louder than stock under low acceleration (that is I don't want to wake up the sleeping babies), but I want something that is noticeably louder and deeper/throatier than the stock exhaust when under hard acceleration or higher rpms.
I think the biggest problem is going to be at cold start-up. Otherwise they are all fairly quiet at low RPMs. However, even at cold start up I don't think you are going to make any babies cry, even with the ATAK. Under acceleration however is a different story. You can cruise through a residential area with any of the three sound levels and you won't upset anyone as long as you keep the RPMs low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2011gt View Post
Borla 40842S Borla ''S-Type'' Mufflers

what do you guys think about swapping these in for the factory resonators and just running some kind of shop-made muffler delete setup out the back? Think it would sound ok?
I think you will have resonance issues if you do this. The 2011 5.0L has a nasty drone that has to be tuned out. However, if the drone doesn't bother you this is a good option. Will probably sound quite good outside of the car.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-17-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Apprentice
S197 Member

Would you say that the S-type is the classic Borla Mustang sound?

|2011 Mustang GT 5.0L | 3.73 | Brembo Package | Race Red |

Mods: Borla Cat-back S-Type Exhaust | Barton Shifter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep01 View Post
Would you say that the S-type is the classic Borla Mustang sound?
The sound enhancements of an aftermarket exhaust are limited to what the motor gives you to work with. Please keep in mind that exhaust systems/mufflers do not create or make any sound. Rather they shape the existing sound of the motor. With that said, the new 5.0L motor is a dramatic departure from previous Mustang power plants. It revs higher and has a different cam profile which changes the exhaust valve timing among other things.

Of course the last pushrod motor for a Mustang was in 1993 so it's been a while since there was a "classic" motor in a Mustang but the new 5.0L is especially modern.

Anyone who tells you that they can make a high compression, high RPM, fuel injected motor with overhead cams sound like a carbureted, push rod motor, that idles low and red lines at 5,000 RPM is either mistaken or deceiving you

If you want the true classic sound you really need to use a classic motor.

Even so, as different of a motor as it is, I think you'll find that the S-Type is the closest to the classic sound you are looking for.

I hope this helps address some of the confusion and thanks for your interest.
PONY Member

Mr Borla, any updates on the V6 system, it was removed from your website about a week or two ago?

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 Auto Ingot Silver Metallic w/black stripes,
Rapid Spec 101A w/Tape Stripe delete
2.73 Gears
Borla ATAK AxleBacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
Even so, as different of a motor as it is, I think you'll find that the S-Type is the closest to the classic sound you are looking for.
From a happy costumer, I have to agree. Lot of thumbs up from the classic muscle car crowd last weekend in Wildwood, NJ.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmerrill504 View Post
Mr Borla, any updates on the V6 system, it was removed from your website about a week or two ago?

We need to do one more round of sound testing and are looking for a vehicle. Do you know anyone in Socal that might want to partner with us in return for a free exhaust (or headers or whatever)?

The parts are all built but I need to hear them one last time to sign off on the sound.

db
PONY Member

Ahh if I was there I would go for it, but being in Texas thats not really feasible lol. Its good to hear that you're close though.

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 Auto Ingot Silver Metallic w/black stripes,
Rapid Spec 101A w/Tape Stripe delete
2.73 Gears
Borla ATAK AxleBacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
We need to do one more round of sound testing and are looking for a vehicle. Do you know anyone in Socal that might want to partner with us in return for a free exhaust (or headers or whatever)?

The parts are all built but I need to hear them one last time to sign off on the sound.

db
How long would you need the vehicle for?
Apprentice

I got to move...

2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page