How much weight does the 401a vs base gt add? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

How much weight does the 401a vs base gt add?

Im at a bind in picking my options.. I want the nice interior trim but worried about how much weight it would add vs a base GT. What about brembo vs non brembo package, whats the weight difference? Do you think the added weight is worth the nicer driving environment?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_up_ina-5.0 View Post
Im at a bind in picking my options.. I want the nice interior trim but worried about how much weight it would add vs a base GT. What about brembo vs non brembo package, whats the weight difference? Do you think the added weight is worth the nicer driving environment?
yes, get the premium....very much worth it..

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Why the concern about weight?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe Sterling Grey/Black int
3.73, Brembos, Electronics package, HIDs
Ordered : 07/07/10
Sticker : 08/25/10
Build Date : 08/30/10
Delivery Date: 09/15/10

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
The extra weight will be minimal when you consider how much the car already weighs and how much power it makes. I have the 401A package, and I dont regret it at all.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
Why the concern about weight?
I would say there is probably a 10 pound difference between the two. Honestly it shouldn't make a difference at the track of more than ,01 at the most for the weight difference between the two. Surely if you want to get the fastest time out of it, there are better ways to make the car lighter.. All will make your car less and less fun or more painful if you were to use it as a daily driver.. My opinion is lose 10 pounds yourself at the gym so you don't feel guilty about getting the premium and losing .01 seconds while at the strip..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
PONY Member

Best performance mod!

Remove front & rear seats & replace with 1 low profile beach chair. Avoid heavy metal.bolt fasteners & only use velcro. Weight loss should save .001 tenths on the track. Also go on a 7 day fast (water only) prior to race. Celebrate with 1beer after.

The Silent Majority always get slaughtered! It's always the small minority radicals that impose their will on the majority who don't speak up!
Americans have nothing to apologize for except for letting progressives force their will on the majority. :run_over:
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
Apprentice

Your excess weight is mostly in the power seats and if you opt for the glass roof. You can go all out and remove all the sound deadening material. I'm Sure there is a ton in these cars.

The extra's the come with the 401A package, you wont notice a difference due to the few extra pounds.

2011 Mustang GT
Grabber Blue // HID's // Brembo Brake Package // 3.73 // Comfort package //Rear Back-up Camera
Kooks Cat-back // JLT Intake // Lethal O/R X-pipe // BBR 93 Octane Tune
422 RWHP // 400 RWTQ
Koni STR.T Shocks/Structs // Steeda Ultralite Springs // 35mm Front Sway, 22mm Rear Sway // Steeda Strut Mounts // Fays2 Watts link
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It addes about 9,000lbs..... Of "COOL" THAT IS.....

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 427CARL
Weight saves time lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poneyup View Post
Remove front & rear seats & replace with 1 low profile beach chair. Avoid heavy metal.bolt fasteners & only use velcro. Weight loss should save .001 tenths on the track. Also go on a 7 day fast (water only) prior to race. Celebrate with 1beer after.

Good advice I replaced the velcro with packing tape! Picked up a 1000th lol
GT Member

Quote:
Did you get lost while looking for the Lotus Elise forum?

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
PONY Member

If you're worried about the weight just get the premium go to autozone and get some adhesive air vents and put them on the hood it'll make up for the weight ;-). Just poking fun. I am thinking there wouldn't be a noticeable or substantial difference.

2015 Mustang Eco Boost- Current

2010 Mustang GT Premium-Traded

2009 Mustang GT Premium-Traded
Apprentice

I used duct tape for my weight savings! It's good in the rain and you don't have to worry about getting in and out anymore. As a matter of fact I'm typing this from inside my car right now! I love it so much I had them remove the doors and use duct tape but there's the little issue of getting in and out. Oh well. Day three and it's starting to smell a little funny in here.....

2011 Mustang GT Premium 5.0 Sterling Gray/Stone Gray/MT/355s
- Flowmaster 40 series mufflers (#42443)
- Resonators removed
- 4.5" tips
- Metallic Gray hand painted front horse
Best 1/4 [email protected] in my 03 Cobra (CAI,E,P)

"I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train."
lug
Apprentice

Sorry, if you aren't concerned about weight, you aren't concerned about performance. While the package may or may not add any significant weight, the OP is at least smart enough to ask before buying.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
Sorry, if you aren't concerned about weight, you aren't concerned about performance. While the package may or may not add any significant weight, the OP is at least smart enough to ask before buying.

Yes but he also asked about "the nicer driving enviromnet"

Ok lets do this old school home ecnomics style...the same teacher who taught me to check the weight and price of the bulk size (of non-parishables) and compare it to the weight and price of the smaller size and then determine the cost for unit and buy which ever has the over all cheapset cost per unit.

Ok here we go..

With the premium and 401A you get an interior that moves the mustang from late 90s era mustang to late 2000s era luxury... its 300% better while probably giving up .02% performance.

300% improvement in one area for a .02% performance loss in another...

Hmm.....

I wonder what the old Home Ec teacher would say about that choice???

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
lug
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Yes but he also asked about "the nicer driving enviromnet"

Ok lets do this old school home ecnomics style...the same teacher who taught me to check the weight and price of the bulk size (of non-parishables) and compare it to the weight and price of the smaller size and then determine the cost for unit and buy which ever has the over all cheapset cost per unit.

Ok here we go..

With the premium and 401A you get an interior that moves the mustang from late 90s era mustang to late 2000s era luxury... its 300% better while probably giving up .02% performance.

300% improvement in one area for a .02% performance loss in another...

Hmm.....

I wonder what the old Home Ec teacher would say about that choice???

He doesn't know the weight, so he can't figure the ".02% performance loss". I've seen lux packages that added more than 150 Lbs and some that added far less. Since he doesn't know, he simply was trying to find out if the extra weight and cost were worth it to him. If there were no market for the GT w/o the extras, Ford wouldn't try to sell it that way. What he got was a bunch of smarmy answers from people who obviously bought the upgrade w/o knowing the weight themselves. I'd have to say he isn't the dummy here, just uneducated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page