Digital speedometer display on 2011 Mustang GT? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
iwanagofast2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquill1 View Post
Yup and wasn't impressed with the automatic or the exhaust note (wont be going automatic so it doesn't matter.) I'll be ordering one soon enough, but I'd still be happy with a 2010 all over again regardless of the bump in power (as long as the car was several thousand less than a 2011.)
You don't like the exhaust?? I've heard the weak factory 2010.... lets be real here. The 2011's sounds fifty times better. But yet you talk down about the all new 2011 Mustang GT featuring the new 5 liter dohc 32 valve V8 with the latest innovations in variable cam timing? But yet you still want one.:smoke:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

No, I just talk down to you hating on the 2010. The exhaust in the 2010 that I test drove was very very quiet, I drove both back-to-back and the 2011 was too quiet (perhaps it is the difference between manual/auto.) Others have felt the same way about the exhaust.

As I said I want one because I couldn't find a kona blue 2010 the way I wanted it, the wife wanted grabber blue so we bought it so I could order one at a later time, the 2010 is hers. We were going to buy a 2011 v6 in grabber blue but the there was no way we would buy a '11 v6 over a '10 gt. The looks, sound and feel sell you on a v8.

iwanagofast2010

Quote:
No, I just talk down to you hating on the 2010. The exhaust in the 2010 that I test drove was very very quiet, I drove both back-to-back and the 2011 was too quiet (perhaps it is the difference between manual/auto.) Others have felt the same way about the exhaust.

As I said I want one because I couldn't find a kona blue 2010 the way I wanted it, the wife wanted grabber blue so we bought it so I could order one at a later time, the 2010 is hers. We were going to buy a 2011 v6 in grabber blue but the there was no way we would buy a '11 v6 over a '10 gt. The looks, sound and feel sell you on a v8.
LORD HELP ME

Apprentice

Just to get back on topic for a second, I found a site where you can program a TomTom GPS to give a large speedo readout.
I bought a refurb TomTom for about $100 from Tiger Direct it works great. I'm thinking of putting the Tripmaster software on it from the site below but the instructions are a little confusing for an old gearhead like me.
Maybe someone could translate?
The site:
www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

2007 997 Twin Turbo, GT Silver over black, Flashed, Switzer exhaust, Bilstein lowered, It's freaking Monster !
2010 RX350. good at what it's good for.
2011 GT Kona Blue, Premium leather blue stripe, Automatic, HID's, Glass roof, Nav,
Apprentice

Interesting thread...the on topic parts. I was wondering about 'backdoor' procedures to access and/or adjust other things electronically controlled. Now that I've seen this one I suspect there are other menus burried somewhere in the switchology...
PONY Member

I just thought I would chime in and tell everyone how entertaining I found this thread to be! I got a few good laughs, I'm sure alot of you did lol. Back on topic, I'm looking forward to trying out the digital speed display, as I have become accustomed to it in my other ride. Oh, and this is to (I just have to) mr. "service technician," what dealership to you work at in Lousiana so I can email them and tell them what trash they have working there?

2011 Mustang GT premium, Black on Black, 6 speed manual,Brembo pckg,HID's,3.73's, appearance package, Security,Comfort,Roush Axelback, Q Ball shifer, Bama Race Tuned, UMI Brackets and LCA's, K&N drop in filter and more to come...
Apprentice

Quote:

Correct me if im wrong, but don't the 2010s have an x-pipe vs the 2011's w/ an h-pipe.
Maybe this is why you like the 2010 vs the 2011 when you were comparing the sounds.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2stang View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but don't the 2010s have an x-pipe vs the 2011's w/ an h-pipe.
Maybe this is why you like the 2010 vs the 2011 when you were comparing the sounds.
I'm not sure why it sounds different, the 4.6 had a H as well. I think it may be because the 32v is deeper than the 3valve which maybe makes it sound more quiet.

Apprentice

Some guy commented on my 0-60 vid on YT that the gauge speedometer is about 3 MPH off (shows a faster speed) and you can see this by using the digital speedo as discussed previously. Is there any truth to this? 3 MPH seems like a large discrepancy. Covered up my car for the winter last week, or else I'd try it myself.
Apprentice

Yes. There's about 2.5 to 3 mph difference between the two indicated speeds, speedo being higher. Not knowing what either of them is calibrated to as a reference... don't know which is true or more accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangGT33 View Post
Some guy commented on my 0-60 vid on YT that the gauge speedometer is about 3 MPH off (shows a faster speed) and you can see this by using the digital speedo as discussed previously. Is there any truth to this? 3 MPH seems like a large discrepancy. Covered up my car for the winter last week, or else I'd try it myself.
PONY Member
S197 Member

The gauges are driven by stepper motors with the needles just pushed on them. You could fix that 3 mph difference by just popping the needle off and repositioning it. The digital reading is the value the computer is sending to the gauge.

There is no direct connection between the Mustang gauges and any of the sensors. The computer reads the values from the sensors and then sends the inputs to the gauges. Since the gauges are zero'd as you turn on the ignition (watch them flip back and forth), there is a mechanical aspect to making them match the computer input. When stepper motors begin to fail they don't find the right zero point and the readings go way off. This was a common failure on earlier Mustangs.

Bruce
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanagofast2010 View Post
You don't like the exhaust?? I've heard the weak factory 2010.... lets be real here. The 2011's sounds fifty times better. But yet you talk down about the all new 2011 Mustang GT featuring the new 5 liter dohc 32 valve V8 with the latest innovations in variable cam timing? But yet you still want one.:smoke:
Lets be real here. the worst thing about the 2011's are the exhaust notes "featuring the all new 5 liter dohc 32 valve v8" hell the old fox bodies through 2010 sound better. my 370z sounds better and i hate v6 exhaust notes. the tone and coarseness of the 2011 gt just dont do the car justice for the "new 5 liter dohc 32 valce V8"... I just like repeating that since it must be cool.

on a side note the digital readout is pretty cool. and the scanguage that someone posted is a very nice diagnostic tool. not to be confused with the tool known as i wanagofast2010.

2009 nissan 370Z
13.2 @ 108
stock ^^
2001 Trans am a4
12.7 @ 110
Headers/exhaust/intake
PONY Member
5.0L Member

subd'..................

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
Rookie
5.0L Member

My attempt was successful!
Have CEL bacause of cats delete and my SCT (which disables O2 sensors) is still on the way to me.
[youtube]ly4ejyXudWw[/youtube]

RAM Twin-Disc Clutch Kit, GT500 Pedal Assembly, Kooks Complete Exhaust System (with Kooks LT), KW Ver.3 Suspension, BMR components (anti-roll, anti-hop, strut tower brace, front sway bar), Powerslot Rear Rotors and HP Plus Pads, Stoptech 6-piston Trophy Sport Edition Zinc 15" Front Brakes, Alcoa 20" Super Snake Wheels, SCT8900OR, Custom Vortech V-3 20th Anniversary Edition #11 + BOSS Intake Manifold, Eaton E-locker + Moser, DSS aluminium driveshaft, etc.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanagofast2010 View Post
oook, it doesn't do half the stuff you just said for one. also you need only press the reset button, not both. and 2.. you cannot tamper with anything in hec. its only for informational purposes. the only thing you are right about is it that is more accurate on reading you speed since ALL vehicles have a 0-3mph lapse between what the pcm is a reading and it transmitting to the gauge cluster. dont dont act like you know what you talking about when you really dont. have a nice day. i been a tech for 6 years and we never even use this crap its useless and you are paying for it!!
Hmm... Is there a coherent thought somewhere in there that I missed?

Jim

Murphy was an optimist.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 401A, 6MT, 3.73, 19" Brembo, Nav, Security, HID, Rear video, Boss 302 mufflers, Raxiom smoked taillights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page