80mph+ steering vibration on 2011 Mustang GT - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
The issue here is that not all cars have that, some do and some do not.

Right. But airflow under the vehicle can be affected by front splitters too and these are different from one trim level to another. All that is needed is a slight change in design between trim levels or one year to another to cause an unforseen side effect.
In my example with the Altima, all it took was a slight design change to the '07 MY to cause a vibration.
That being said, I originally thought this cause was unlikely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I highly doubt upper strut mounts has anything to do with your vibration, especially if you have never replaced your springs. Did your vibration start before your driveshaft install or brake rotor swap?
My 2006 Gto had 2500 miles when the strut mounts gone bad and was causing the vibration. Replaced it under warrnty and it was all good. Just saying that it could happen.

2013 TRACK PACK
FordService

Quote:
Thanks for looking into this thread Deysha,
i will take off my aftermarket wheels for the winter and that's when i will probably take the car to the dealership.
Great, RusWolf. Let me know when and if you want me to escalate it for you then.

Deysha

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Great, RusWolf. Let me know when and if you want me to escalate it for you then.

Deysha
thank you.

Deysha, is it possible for you to look up a delaer in my area with the highest % of satisfied customers ?

Like i mentioned, my car is supercharged and i'm afraid to go to just a random dealership and have them abuse the car while test driving...

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
FordService

Quote:
thank you.

Deysha, is it possible for you to look up a delaer in my area with the highest % of satisfied customers ?

Like i mentioned, my car is supercharged and i'm afraid to go to just a random dealership and have them abuse the car while test driving...
No, sorry. I donít get those types of reports, RusWolf.

Deysha
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye6 View Post
I could say at least my car has a performance transmission in it and not a unreliable sloppy Chinese made piece of crap in it ^_^
Very true. Sadly, it's the ONLY performance part in your car. The rest is a truck motor wrapped up in a good-looking fat shell.

Relax, I'm just needling you.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
GT Member

I've been reading this for a couple days and just wanted to throw in my experience so far with my car. Let me just say I'm done worrying about it and gonna wait until I get new tires and see if that changes anything since the Tire Shop said it's my "Chinese tires". Granted, they are cheap tires that came on the after market wheels. Here is my story...I'll keep it as short as possible.

Got after market wheels/tires at around 500 miles over a year ago. Didn't notice anything vibrating that I can remember before this but the vast majority of these miles were on a perfectly smooth interstate from my home in MO to IN where the car was bought and back to get the wheels 1 week later. Wheel shop had a relationship with the dealer and I got 1000 credit for my stock wheels after I got aftermarket wheels put on so that's why I drove back for the wheels. Then, didn't notice anything that caught my attention right away but was back on the smooth interstate.

Upon driving the car more, I noticed the steering wheel had some "shake" to it so I thought a weight fell off or something, not a big deal. Later I did take it to a professional shop tho, had the tires rotated as I'd driven on them for prob 5k with the shake since it wasn't all that bad and had them do a roadforce balance. Shake in steering wheel was then gone, but I noticed the seat was vibrating since I was watching for that after the rotation. However, I do not know if the seat was vibrating before b/c I'd just noticed it in the steering wheel and wasn't paying attention to the passenger seat.

Took back to shop and they said I had tire slightly out of round. Got new tire put on, still shook. Took back to tire shop, (2 days later) and they re-balanced on road force machine again and said my "balance had changed". I got back in car and it still had shake and they said "it's your Chinese tires". Everything else is balanced but we can't perfectly replicate every road condition so it may shake on some roads more than others. I have since rotated again from back to front and the steering wheel is still solid, but the seat still shakes. Like I said, sometimes noticibly worse than others.

That last part is actually true, so I just gave up finding out the source b/c I wanted to lower the car. It still shakes on certain roads (passenger seat vibrates pretty good) but on smooth roads, it pretty minimal but still there.

I don't know what it is, but we'll see when I get new "non-Chinese" tires if that clears it up. Good luck to all!

EDIT: Also, I've since had the car lowered, replaced the stock strut mounts w/ GT 500 mounts, struts, shocks and also had the LCA's replaced twice under warrenty before the suspension install and this did not effect my "vibration" in a good or bad way.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
GT Member

Im in the same boat as you Choate.

As far as i am aware my car didnt have the issue when i bought it brand new.

The issues seems to of developed over time.

What bothers me is that i run two sets of wheels and tires.

One is stock 18inch pony wheels found on the v6 PP and the GT with p nero zero tires.

The other is aftermarket 18inch wheels with Michelin x ice tires. Same spec as stock, both the wheels and tires.

Still get vibrations throughout the entire car with both sets of wheels.

Would be very nice to find out what is causing this.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post

One is stock 18inch pony wheels found on the v6 PP and the GT with p nero zero tires.

The other is aftermarket 18inch wheels with Michelin x ice tires. Same spec as stock, both the wheels and tires.

As far as i remember when i first heard of this issue, i did not have it as well...

later one i started noticing it in sport mode..
now since i installed my new wheel/tire package i really notice it and also notice that my stock tires were more used up on the inside part..
So i was like ok i'll get an alignment, did that. And it still shakes in sport mode...
so now pretty soon i'm just going to put stock wheels on and take the car to a dealer.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
Rookie

I'm bringing this thread back to find out if any solutions were ever found for the shake/shimmey/vibration issue? Were the cars with the problem ever fixed?

I'm very interested as I'm going through the process with my 2012 GT to find and fix a shimmey in the steering wheel that starts at about 50mph and gets progressively worse until the whole care shakes at 70mph. Road force balances (I've had 2 done by the dealer) have NOT fixed the problem.

Any updates would be appreciated. Tx.
Grimace427

I wonder if anyone has tried shutting off the engine while driving. Yes, it's very dangerous and should only be attempted when the road/traffic conditions allow. I have a feeling some people are experiencing an issue with the EPAS steering, shutting off power might highlight or eliminate this theory.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCguy View Post
I'm bringing this thread back to find out if any solutions were ever found for the shake/shimmey/vibration issue? Were the cars with the problem ever fixed?

I'm very interested as I'm going through the process with my 2012 GT to find and fix a shimmey in the steering wheel that starts at about 50mph and gets progressively worse until the whole care shakes at 70mph. Road force balances (I've had 2 done by the dealer) have NOT fixed the problem.

Any updates would be appreciated. Tx.
Mine is basically gone as far as I can tell b/c I just got new tires. Only drove the car about 50 miles since but I watched for the shaking and didn't see it or feel it so I think it was my tires catching the grooves in the road and causing a vibration. What's funny is the company that makes the tires advertises "specially designed to not cause vibrations" LOL no joke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post

There is a very nice long write up on s197forum.com about a racing company that tracks their mustang regularly and used different LCA and this thing shook like crazy. You wouldn't believe it. They could go like 45mph, then turn the steering wheel back and forth real fast, then let go and it would wobble back and forth like crazy. They replaced the steering system $999.00 to a Ford Racing one w/ no "nimble mode" and it cured it. Pretty interesting. Pony you do know about the clips on your wheels if you have aftermarket wheels and to remove those right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
I still have this issue, new tires and rims didn't solve it..took it all the way up to the engineers at Ford just for them to tell me it's normal nibble control. It's really noticeable with advance trac fully off..Might have to look into the steering system but I'm wondering if it's also a possible drive shaft imbalance as I have seen others claim it was gone after going to a one piece.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
Rookie

It's very disturbing to me that Ford can not seem to fix these cars that have this problem and it is most definitely is a PROBLEM. Wheel/tires, driveshafts, epas, etc, etc. Something is for sure wrong that needs to be admitted to and addressed by Ford.

I've owned and driven a lot of cars and trucks and none of them had a shimmey that could not be fixed. If Ford says that a shake at 50+ mph is "normal" then I am going to dump this car and will NEVER buy another FORD product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page