Best Time for Oil Change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Best Time for Oil Change

So I've heard that the first oil change is a very important one, could determine the strength of the engine. Is this true? And when is the best millage to do so, I'm currently at 2400 miles.

Thanks

Sean

It's not a car, It's a legend.

2011 Mustang GT Race Red manual 6speed base model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I would go ahead and change it out. That's just me though...

'02 GT
Stuff...and more stuff...forever a wip
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
Apprentice

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
PONY Member

We've debated this subject a couple of times here on AFM. Dealers say do it at 3000 miles, some say wait 5000 miles, some say wait till the Oil Life Monitor tells you to do so. Car guys say change it out at 1000 miles, and some even say to change it out sooner than that because of the metal in the engine and because if you bought it off the lot, you don't really have an idea of just how long its possibly been sitting there and how other people have test driven it. Its all personal preference in my opinion. I'll probably change mine at either 1000 miles or 3000 depending on how I feel. I only drive close to 7k miles per year so every 6 months is when I'll do oil changes and the first one is free for me.

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 Auto Ingot Silver Metallic w/black stripes,
Rapid Spec 101A w/Tape Stripe delete
2.73 Gears
Borla ATAK AxleBacks

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmerrill504 View Post
We've debated this subject a couple of times here on AFM. Dealers say do it at 3000 miles, some say wait 5000 miles, some say wait till the Oil Life Monitor tells you to do so. Car guys say change it out at 1000 miles, and some even say to change it out sooner than that because of the metal in the engine and because if you bought it off the lot, you don't really have an idea of just how long its possibly been sitting there and how other people have test driven it. Its all personal preference in my opinion. I'll probably change mine at either 1000 miles or 3000 depending on how I feel. I only drive close to 7k miles per year so every 6 months is when I'll do oil changes and the first one is free for me.
7k lol... ill be lucky to be under 40k

2011 Mustang GT, Black with Black stripe.
6 Speed Manual.
3.73 + Brembo Brake Package.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.
Appearance Package 4.(Hood Scoop and Rear Spoiler)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclearranger View Post
7k lol... ill be lucky to be under 40k
40k / year. damm dude. my work commute is only 25 miles round trip. and when I do go out, I normally stay in austin. Thats based on my 2003 that I had, I had it for 3 years and only put 15k miles on it lol.

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 Auto Ingot Silver Metallic w/black stripes,
Rapid Spec 101A w/Tape Stripe delete
2.73 Gears
Borla ATAK AxleBacks

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
GT Member

I drive around 40K/year also. Good reason to have another vehicle to put the miles on.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBeast'11 View Post
So I've heard that the first oil change is a very important one, could determine the strength of the engine. Is this true? And when is the best millage to do so, I'm currently at 2400 miles.

Thanks

Sean
The Ford manual doesn't seem to say anything special about the first oil change. FWIW the Honda manual explicitly states that the engine contains "break in oil" from the factory and you should not change it early.

My inclination would be to just let the computer do its job, but I might rethink that if I get some track time on it.

*shrug*

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010
GT Member

While the manual does not state it, I've been told to keep the original oil in for the term noted in the manual (normal use, not track use of course). The manual was printed long before any issues popped up (i.e. the 'hold').
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page