2011 Mustang 5.0-Engine hesitation - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I bought 2011 automatic V6 mustang after 16 years with a standard Mustang. When I pull out to pass or want to merge onto the highway, I try to accelerate but there is a pause of 2 to 3 seconds, and a high revving sound…but no forward movement, forcing me to abort my effort to merge or to pass. It is dangerous. Service department denied the problem. However, I went on a drive with one of their employees and the same thing happened. In front of others, he said, “yes” there’s a problem to his boss. I left the car with them to fix. (It’s under warranty with only 2,000 km.). now they’re saying the guy really didn’t think there was a problem…I have sent the service manager, with whom I’m now dealing, all of the comments from the forum that show others are having the same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? Does it require replacement of the transmission? What??? Any help is appreciated. If anyone wants to get together on this to consider legal action if things don’t improve please let me know… I am in Toronto area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters View Post
If I am on the freeway going about 60 and hammer the gas, the RPMs jump to about 5000 and then there is a second or two of hesitation before the car takes off....is this normal for the 5.0? I don't really notice when taking off from a stop. If I slowly hit the gas, it also doesn't do it at all.

Thanks in advance
Just a thought. Have you tried it with the traction control OFF?

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Apprentice

I have that issue with a 6 speed manual, but it goes away with traction/stability control off. It seems like it senses the oncoming power that will break the wheels loose.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Black on Black, 6MT, 3.55 Gears, Security Package

Rookie

cicle d 5c hesitation

hey all, i'm here looking for information myself. just installed a 5c converter..normal driving when i hit throttle..even halfway..car burps, hesitates( like it has a cold carb motor) car has been tuned for it. from what tuner told me the car does not recognize the higher stall..goes into a default, shuts gas off? anyone experience this??
Also i have a dds one piece ds. when put in "d" or "r" i hear a clunk..is that normal..thanks
Larry
dyno tune
bbk long tubes, mid pipe, mbrp cat back, upr prostreet control arm kit, upr rad support,sway bar delete
sve 15x10 on mts draidials
PONY Member

Garage
A tune will speed up the shifting assuming there's nothing wrong with the transmission. While the car is performing a shift the ECU reduces engine power to make it smoother. If for some reason the transmission is shifting too slowly or, slower than normal, that will present as an extended lag in power. Do you have a sport mode on the 2011? If so what happens in that mode?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
PONY Member

I have had two of the bigger, most well known shops tune my car. Neither of them could really figure out how to tune the automatic. With both of them it always was in to high of a gear, and had that hesitation when you wanted it to downshift.

Well that was until I had Monty at JMS Chip tune my car. Now the trans is always in the right gear, it doesn't shift into 6th till 60mph. If your on the highway, just a light tap of the gas pedal and it downshifts into 5th with almost no hesitation

I also have a circle D converter which also exaggerates the hesitation, so if he can get it right on my car, I am sure he can get it right on your car

www.jmschip.com/

tell him Don from Boston referred you

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
PONY Member

Garage
You know someone had to say it.... Should have got a manual
Downshift before you change lanes and you have to worry about running into the car in front of you instead of someone running into you. 4th gear downshifts at highway speeds are epic fun.

But yes a tune on an automatic car is one of the best things you can do. Even without a power gain the car feels much better to drive.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

GT Member

Die, manual boy, die!

The time for a downshift by the auto is approximately the same time as doing the same thing on the manual....it just seems longer because you aren't doing any work but waiting.

And you can manually shift the auto to make certain you stay in a particular gear, if you want and have a 13+.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page