2011 Mustang GT just broke down - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

thanks for the calming replies, guys...helped keep me a bit leveled in my freak out

Update:

finally got a good news call from the dealership saying that the tech found the issue during his walkthrough and all she said was that it was a wire that got unclamped somewhere. she was not the technician so i basically asked if it was solved (she doesn't speak "car") and if i can pick up my car and return the POS corolla (didn't say that exactly) she said yes and i came to pick up my car. she also said there was a bunch of paperwork there for me which i am eager to look at.

i arrive there and go to get my car and the desk lady says both the service manager and the tech who worked on my car left for the day and didn't leave any paperwork for me and to come back tomorrow...figures. oh well, at least i have my car. she calls for the porter to get it and i am watching him struggle with getting it in reverse. i peek under the garage door inside and keep seeing the car lurch forward and i am yelling "just let me drive it out!" i swear, this idiot was like grinding my transmission trying to get the car in reverse and couldn't do it...i hate how they just don't let you get your car and some brainless idiot is sitting there jamming your gears...what crap. anyway i get a different service guy who drove a manual transmission in his life before to bring my car out and i am almost on my way.

the only documentation i have from the tech (as of today) is this: i imagine some of you electrical gurus might be able to decipher what exactly "wire" this schematic is referring to. i will copy/transcribe my full paperwork on the issue when i pick it up tomorrow after work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	925.0 KB
ID:	109715  

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Glad to see you finally got your car back cababah!! After all the worries and anxiety about your car I know this must be a relief!! And the Garage Monkey that was grinding your gears, I would have ripped him right out of the car lol, scares you sometimes to think about the idiots that they have working in these places!!

PONY Member

What is circled in the schematic is the fuse for the fuel pump. It supplies the 12 volts to the fuel pump through the relay switch (looks like an open door in the picture) when the key is turned on. most of the wire connections are pushed into the plastic connectors and have a barb to keep them from being pushed out of the connector. If they didn't push the wire lug all the way in, it will fall out. Hard to find that type of problem. You're lucky if that is the true root cause.

1970 302 Grabber blue- First Mustang
2010 Mustang V6 Pony - Wifes ride
2011 GT Premium-3.73-manual-accessory pack 4-Candy Red, Roush axle back Exhaust.
First GT track night 13.38 @ 105, 60ft 2.047

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

lose wires are going to be the death of us all......

on the up side:

Lose wire = nothing wrong with car and no ongoing driver anxiety now that its fixed.

That type of an issue could be one that could happen on any car..at any time.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

i wonder if there is permanent damage from when the fuel pump was cut off while i was driving?

i like to assume the engine has built-in safety precautions for such a scenario to protect itself?

yes, i am glad that it was something so simple but also frustrated that it was THAT wire that killed my engine off...would have been nice if it was the fog light wiring instead..or maybe how about no loose wire at all!

some documentation from ford hotline during instruction to the tech:
RECOMM
09/02/2010 12:36PM - FCSD - TECH SVC HOTLINE

STEVE, ADDRESS THE P0690 DTC FIRST. THIS DTC SETS WHEN THE VOLTAGE ON

THE ISP-R AND THE INJPWRM CIRCUIT VOLTAGES DO NOT CORRESPOND FOR A

CALIBRATED PERIOD OF TIME. THE HOTLINE DATABASE CONTAINS REPORTS OF

THESE DTC'S SETTING FROM A FAULTY FUEL PUMP RELAY HOWEVER THIS SHOULD

NOT CAUSE A NO CRANK. WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING TAP ON THE FUEL PUMP

RELAY AND DETERMINE IF CONCERN DUPLICATES. REMOVE AND INSPECT F13 (15

AMP) AND F45 (5 AMP) IN THE BJB. VERIFY THE FUSES ARE SEATED PROPERLY

AND THE TERMINALS ARE OK.

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
S197 Member

Great news to hear that you got your car back. As painful as this was, this was not a major mechanical problem so I think you can rest easy now that a lose wire and a fuel pump failing because of it does not mean a major design flaw by Ford. The car is not a lemon, stuff just happens.

I hope the car pays you back with some great times and you get to take down a Camaro or two.. That will surely make you feel better, and forget your pain...

Enjoy

:shiny:

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguiseÖ..
GT Member

Cab, I just read your update. I'm happy for you. Good luck going forward.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
Great news to hear that you got your car back. As painful as this was, this was not a major mechanical problem so I think you can rest easy now that a lose wire and a fuel pump failing because of it does not mean a major design flaw by Ford. The car is not a lemon, stuff just happens.

I hope the car pays you back with some great times and you get to take down a Camaro or two.. That will surely make you feel better, and forget your pain...

Enjoy

:shiny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Cab, I just read your update. I'm happy for you. Good luck going forward.
thanks guys, I appreciate it. I guess there is no need in getting more information from the dealer but they still owe me the paperwork and if I see anything else interesting, I will post it here.

luckily for most, this issue sounds like it is isolated and not a faulty part but just one of those "it happens" things. when the fuel pump failed and the engine lost power, there is a safety system in the car that prevents the engine from damaging itself from lack of fuel, right?

sorry, I am not quite sure how this system works

-Jozsefsz

GT Member

I don't know if your issue will caust any premature fuel pump issues. However, in my experience, all Mustang fuel pumps failt between 70 and 80K. At least all of the Mustangs I've owned that long had failed fuel pumps in that mileage range. It is expensive too, as they have to pull the tank to get to it.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
I don't know if your issue will caust any premature fuel pump issues. However, in my experience, all Mustang fuel pumps failt between 70 and 80K. At least all of the Mustangs I've owned that long had failed fuel pumps in that mileage range. It is expensive too, as they have to pull the tank to get to it.
Would have been less expensive to just go to a different gas station
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post

You really win the award for the guy with the most over all problems out of the widest variety of cars on this forum.

I really thought i was the guy with the "murphys law" luck but from what i have read over the months.... You win!

Geeze. Fortunately my 05 didnt have a fuel pump issue but umm...having the gas tank removed and the entire fuel system re-worked was something i had done when i was paying out of pocket to find out why my car kept cutting off on me (couldnt get it done underwarranty)... Who knows..maybe they replaced the fuel pump and socked me with the bill rather than telling me they found a warranty issue (bastards) and so i didnt have to have it replaced later on...car ran like a champ after that.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If the fuel pressure is lost the engine ignition will usually cut out to prevent any damage to the motor, so you should be good.
Glad they could get it fixed for you!

2011 GT/CS 'Vert, in Race Red of course!
5.0 on the hood spears, cause it ain't fair not to give some kind of a warning
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Glad to see you're back in the saddle. Good luck!!

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
PONY Member
S197 Member

i have a 98 Z-71(vortech 350) that i replaced fuel pump on twice. the second time it came with a new harness for pump, apparently an issue with intermittent voltage from bad connections was causing premature pump failure. just sayin...

-God bless the people who run to danger, first responders and our Military-
2011 GB 5.0 GT-A w/ Geezer Pkg, 3D Carbon body kit, 08 GT500 18" nto's, MRT rear louvers, SS Eleanor grille, Roush rear spoiler, SHR gas door and qtr window louvers. Pypes Super System, SLP rear decklid.
GT Member

Yeah, just my experience owning as many vehicles as I have. The '89 was issue prone, the '96 was also. All of the S95s I owned had fuel pump failures around 75K. But that was about all the issues with those cars. Contrary to the belief of some, I think those were some of the most reliable Mustangs every built.

My '07 S197 GT was a complete disaster. It was like my 77 Trans Am. It is easier to name the parts that didn't fail than those that did, due to the plethora of failures. My'06 S197 has little issues here and there and a fuel pump at 60K. The 2010 and 2011 have been problem free so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page