2011 Mustang GT just broke down - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

2011 Mustang GT just broke down

2,600 miles...everything was good until i took off from a light in first gear and the whole engine power cut and died. i pulled to the side of the road and the battery and oil icons were on and the car would not start for an hour (had electrical power inside) called ford roadside assistance and got it towed to the dealer. when the car got off the ramp, it started right up and i drove it around no problems, WTF?

i left it at the dealer anyway though...hopefully they can pull a code from when it was giving me trouble. people like allentown were right afterall about these cars...i have never had one break down on me like this. ford fail. this is my first one and so far, i dont think i would get another. just wanted to let you guys know...i will keep you all updated on what the dealer says tomorrow (most likely saying how everything checks out or some b.s and i will always be worried about it dying)

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
74stang2togo

Well, you know what they say about "first year cars".

Honestly it could be anything though, with all the electronic systems in today's cars, even the best of them occaisionally get a "ghost" in the system, or react to some unseen outside force.

My Dodge did exactly what you described to me, exactly once, never could duplicate it. I punched it from a light, about 10 yards later it lurched, died, and didn't want to start. Got out, opened the hood, made sure everything looked allright, turned the key three times to get a list of codes, got three, turned it again to start it, light went out on it's own, and when I got to the shop and put the Mopar scantool on it? No codes, no history, no nothing, and it never did it again. I was a freaking Chrysler/Jeep tech at the time, had access to everything in Mopar's database, and couldn't find the cause, couldn't duplicate it.

I've seen other equally weird things in the four different dealerships I've worked in. I've seen a radar detecter set off the entire TPMS system in one, I've seen a power inverter cause a drive-by-wire system to go to limp home mode, I've seen someone throw something in the microwave in the break room and watched all the sensor data go crazy on a car that was being scanned with a scantool.

Hopefully Ford figures out what happened here, but honestly, there's a real chance they won't be able to duplicate it.

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to mike07gtcs
yeah im gonna have to agree with 74stang, first year models, esp after a big change tend to have bugs, look at the 6.4l powerstroke for instance, when they first came out they had the recall for the exhaust throwing flames, prob no longer exist, the new superdutys will prob come in for some sort of dash problem because of the new info center. I have an 07 california special and have had no problems with it except for a defaulty rear shock, i would buy another mustang , preferrably a cobra cause as far as stangs go theyre the best

2007 Mustang GT/CS slightly custom hooker 3in longtube headers, dynatech 3in racing cats, custom 3in dr. gas nascar side pipes, mac short ram intake, steeda high flow c/f elbow, frpp twin 62mm tb, frpp intake manifold, frpp hot rod cams, frpp 3.73s, steeda udps 320RWHP/302RWTQ

Last edited by mike07gtcs; 09-02-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: adding signature

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
GT Member

Hopefully I don't feel guilty having no problems while actually beating the thing to death! I hope you get it fixed!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hope you get the answers we would all expect and the problem resolved quickly so you are back on the road soon. Ford needs to step up to all issues that come up..

Please do keep us posted as to the outcome.

I do also agree though with the other comments, first year, second year, even third year cars have issues arise.

I have received recalls on cars that have been in my driveway for years.

Yes, a first year car will surface many issues early on but, I have had recalls that although the problem never happen to me, itís still was reported enough to cause the car manufacturer to ask you to bring the car back in.

Did is true for both foreign and domestic for sure

Good luck..

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguiseÖ..
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
GT Member

With all the electronics in cars these days, problems are going to happen. It makes me want to get an on '75 LTD sometimes. Anyway, I have seen similar situations that you describe with several new Fords (not just Mustangs). Fortunately, none of mine have done this. But, I think there is some type of bug in the electrical/ingition systems in many of the new Ford models, as I've seen this with friends who own several different 2010 Fords. I guess I'm now knocking on wood that this doesn't happen to me.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I know this has got to be frustrating and not confidence inspiring.I've had good luck with all of my new cars including a few first year models.

I'm following all the threads concerning problems with the 2011 5.0

but I'm not to worried about them.I have a little over 4k miles now and 0 problems.I've taken my car on a couple long trips and It has performed flawless.

Caba I'm sure Ford will takecare of you and you can get back to enjoying your new Mustang.

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
My battery died in the first week. Sure, it was frustrating, but it's fixed and the Dealership was superb. I'm sure Ford will fix this. I'm betting it will never happen again.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

thanks for the replies, i will let you guys know. this happened at about 10pm last night so i had to leave it at the dealer overnight until they showed up and i went there in the morning to physically explain what was happening.

the battery light, oil light, and the anti-theft light were blinking after it failed to start each time...this must mean something? maybe ignition?

just the fact that it happened once makes me nervous to drive it anywhere away from a dealer and i hate having my brand new car towed. i am praying that the electrical guy at least finds something.

i told the dealer it is a safety issue because if this happened in a high traffic area, it could have been very catastrophic. the service writer said that if the dealer doesn't find anything after 2 days, they might have to contact a ford engineer to come look at it. i think i will be eventually taken care of, i just hate having my baby sitting at the dealership for several days

like i said, i will continue to keep you all updated. luckily i commute on a yamaha majesty and the stang is my weekend/fun car.

just called the dealer and they said they drove the car and did not find any issues?!?!?!?!

i hate how this always works. i am trying to get them to do some sort of further diagnostics. they said they checked the database and had no known or prior issues...my argument was what if i am the first?

i really want this documented and pushed a lot further than this dealership. i went from loving this car to hating it within 2 months. now, everywhere i drive i will have this anxiety in the back of my mind about it stalling like it did maybe in an intersection (deadly) or on the freeway in traffic?

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Last edited by hotshot; 09-03-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

My airbag light came on the day after i got the car, passenger airbag fail, they replaced it in 2 hours, done. Now I have second gear grinding every once in a while, like ~2% time, and only when I'm raping the car, lol. I also have a brake pad chirp *sqeek sqeek sqeek* when Im rolling that goes away when I brake. I went off roading the first week I got the car, I probably knocked something loose that's what there is warranty for, nothing is fail proof on anything, ANYTHING, and that's what warranty if for man. Lambos, Ferraris, Hondas, anything made in the world today has a failure rate, even medical equipment, and you really dont want that to fail, lol. I've seen it happen. You weren't hurt, car is fine, and if it werent they'd fix it. Does it suck? yes. Do all cars break down? yes and no. Every model will have issues, but not every one of every model. Dont sweat it. Drive it hard, and enjoy it. Dont be a baby

on edit: Don't drive through intersections, and if you do, Ford has one of the best crash test ratings around, j/k. You'll be fine dude, if you're always driving hard you can always coast from speed.

GT Member

Cab, I've always enjoyed your posts, and I hate this happened to you . . . and I hate that Allentown might have been right.

BTW, remember the additive they put in mine that was going to be a permanent fix to my tick? It has made the idle turn to crap. Worse yet, when I changed the oil the other day, the tick came back even worse than before.

I'll be posting my experience here shortly, But, needless to say, I'm about done with Ford.
Apprentice

Sounds like maybe something related to the anti-theft system.

2011 Kona Blue GT, P1SC, Roush AB, JHR Short Throw, FRP Adjustable Handling pack, 19 x 9.5 AMR wheels with 275s, FR Brembos, Exedy 500 clutch and flywheel. 585 whp at 7 PSI.
theautoblogger
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Cab, I've always enjoyed your posts, and I hate this happened to you . . . and I hate that Allentown might have been right.

BTW, remember the additive they put in mine that was going to be a permanent fix to my tick? It has made the idle turn to crap. Worse yet, when I changed the oil the other day, the tick came back even worse than before.

I'll be posting my experience here shortly, But, needless to say, I'm about done with Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahdoug View Post
Sounds like maybe something related to the anti-theft system.
thank cid, likewise...sucks because a lot of forum members are pulling the "i told you so"

i think i am pretty done with ford too if they don't accept responsibility and fix this..having my car towed twice is not making me happy.

oh yeah so here is an update: i went to get the car after the dealer said everything checks out okay and i drove it home no problems. i parked in my driveway and went to start it up after 5 minutes and guess what...car won't start again!!!!! i am so mad and call and yell at ford people and have ANOTHER tow truck tow it back to the dealer and guess what, once it rolls of the truck, f******g car starts again. wow...seriously? i drove it around the dealer and parked back in their service lane hoping it would fail to start and luckily it did and the service people took note of it.

according to the owner manual, if the anti-theft light blinks a lot when starting the car, it means there is a problem with that system. i tried both my key and the spare key and both result in the no-start issue. for some reason, the car eventually starts after it cools off but when attempting to start after being ran has the problem.

yeahdoug, when the car stalled and died, i believe it was the immobilizer kicking in and that is what prevents me from starting the car but why it is temperature related, i have no clue? it seems to be on and off. i really hope ford fixes this....here is a video of last night (one of many) start-up attempts:
YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT not starting problem

and trying again earlier today this afternoon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPRTFNpdDo

-Jozsefsz

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Since they witnessed the problem, don't take it back without them fixing it.
Tell the dealer you demand a free loaner until it's fixed.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
Since they witnessed the problem, don't take it back without them fixing it.
Tell the dealer you demand a free loaner until it's fixed.
the dealer said that since i dont have an extended warranty, rental service is not included....so i managed to talk the lady into giving me a free rental for one day but this is labor day weekend so she said she will have to talk to ford to see if they could extend it further.

they mentioned something about a fuel pump relay possibly being the culprit but all i know is it is definitely anti-theft related and temperature dependent. at least it isn't an "engine problem" this still sucks

-Jozsefsz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page