2011 Mustang 5.0 Engine Problems Again - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Any updates Cida?

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Yes and no. It went in for service on Monday, and I've only gotten partial info back. I don't want to post on it again until I have everything, as it will only add to the confusion. Hopefully, I'll have something tonight.

post #63 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Okay, here's the update, for what it's worth.

As you will recall, when they put in the additive, they told me that I could still change my oil in about 1800 miles, which was my normal interval (5000 miles). They said the additive caused the parts to properly seat and the solution would be permanent. However, the "ignitor" tick came back as bad or worse than before after I changed the oil.

Now, they are saying that my dealer must have misunderstood them. Instead, the additive must remain for 5000 miles. Personally, I think this is crap, as the dealer representative has proven to be very good with details -- I think Ford is just buying time. The first time the additive was put in, the dealer had even asked whether the oil had to be changed before putting in the additive, to which they said 'no.'

Now, they want the oil new (within the past 500 miles), and they want the additive in for 5000 miles. So, they sent a new bottle over today, and it again stopped the "ignitor" tick almost instantly. Of course, I have my doubts over whether it will be a permanent fix.

Several folks have mentioned they didn't get the "ignitor" tick until after they changed the oil the first time. Since I have been told that Ford is dumping in this additive at the factory, I wonder if it is only hiding the problem temporarily. The million dollar question is whether those with ticking after oil change got it because they change the oil after less than 5000 miles. I doubt it matters, but the question has to be asked.

Note, they are now saying the 75w-140 gear lube solution was for a different tick, not the one I have. I don't have anything more on that.

As for the "lifter" sounding tick I now have at idle, they are still trying to figure that one out. I'll post more on it after I have all the details.

PONY Member

Get your hands on that bottle of snake oil and find out what it is. What color, viscosity, smell, etc.

What pure BS from Ford.

1970 302 Grabber blue- First Mustang
2010 Mustang V6 Pony - Wifes ride
2011 GT Premium-3.73-manual-accessory pack 4-Candy Red, Roush axle back Exhaust.
First GT track night 13.38 @ 105, 60ft 2.047
post #65 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

The first time, I saw the empty bottle, which obviously had some leftover stuff in it.

The bottle was black and unmarked. The liquid had the color and consistency of black shoe polish. I didn't smell it.
GT Member

I don't want to sound repeatative here, but I was told by a very top notch performance tech not to change my oil for at least 5000 miles, as I've stated in other posts. He would not elaborate on why, but I trust him 100% and I'm sticking by his recommendation. Based on what Cid has said above, it appears as though it was correct for him to tell me this. Maybe Ford doesn't know what is causing the issue and this is a "snake oil" fix, but maybe it works too. The only way to find out is to keep the original oil in there for 5000 miles (at least) and see what happens on the first change after that.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I posted on another thread this response to a member with the same issue: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2229451

I deal with parts problems every day, why did I not think of this sooner?

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #68 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Well, I doubt that all the folks who got this after changing their oil had changed it before 5000, but who knows.

If (and it's a big "if") this actually fixes the problem when left in 5000 miles, then Ford would have been better off to put the car on the road with the instruction that a special "break in" oil was used, and further told customers not to change it until 5000 miles. From a PR standpoint, it would probably have worked.

Alas, I don't believe that it will work unless it's added every time the oil is changed for the life of the car.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Well, I doubt that all the folks who got this after changing their oil had changed it before 5000, but who knows.

If (and it's a big "if") this actually fixes the problem when left in 5000 miles, then Ford would have been better off to put the car on the road with the instruction that a special "break in" oil was used, and further told customers not to change it until 5000 miles. From a PR standpoint, it would probably have worked.

Alas, I don't believe that it will work unless it's added every time the oil is changed for the life of the car.
Perhaps they know what the problem is but are stalling until a revision is available ??

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
GT Member

I agree with 1badcoyote. Plus, the manual says not to change it until 5 or 10K, as does the oil lif inidcator, so Ford likely thought these instructions were sufficient.
Apprentice

I'm a new member here and I mainly joined so that I could comment on this ticking.

I have had my 2011 5.0 for a liitle over a month now and it has had the engine tick since the day I bought it with 40 miles on it, it now has about 1300 miles on it and ticks just the same and has not gotten any quieter, hell it maybe louder than it was when it was new.

I have taken it to the dealer servive department twice and they have heard it and have contacted ford about this problem and all ford will tell us is that it is currently "under investigation" and that they will not let them work on the car, which is probuably a good thing, but I am ready to get rid of this embarasing noise

I also have e-mailed ford directly and they tell me the same thing, that this is a known problem and are working on a resoulution to the problem.

if this additive is working why can't I get a bottle of it? and why does my dealer or the ford service website know nothing about it?

I wish someone with ford could visit this forum and see how unhappy we are with this ticking crap!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
I agree with 1badcoyote. Plus, the manual says not to change it until 5 or 10K, as does the oil lif inidcator, so Ford likely thought these instructions were sufficient.
Well, the manual gives the oil change interval. It does NOT say that changing it early is a problem. Please tell me, since when has clean oil been bad for a motor? Next thing you know, Alan Mulally will tell me I'm holding the shifter wrong.

I've had a lot of new cars, and I've always done the first oil change early. My dealer even recommended that I change it early the first time. It's a standard practice to get fresh oil in once the engine has been properly broken in. If Ford needed time for their snake oil to work, then they should have 1.) Told us about the problem and what had been done; and 2.) Told us how long we should wait before changing the oil.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Dealers are salespeople, they aren't car people. My dealer wanted me to come in and change the oil early as well. I proceeded to have a conference with all the employees in the showroom about the recommended service intervals and already done factory break in procedure of the 5.0 engines. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. And none of them had a clue about any of it. I also advised their service and sales people about the ticking issue which they had never heard of. Don't overestimate dealers or dealership service people. Very few of them are car people like you will find on these forums. And most that say they are really aren't once you really talk to them.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2Hear View Post
... factory break in procedure of the 5.0 engines.
Pray tell, where is this factory break in procedure you speak of documented? I've not heard of one. All the manual says is to vary vehicle speed and engine speed.
post #75 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

SJ, the advice your received set aside, there is nothing from Ford that says the oil should not be changed until 5000 miles. It's great that you were let in on that secret, but the rest of us weren't.

And, nothing for nothing, it would not have mattered in my case; it was making that noise from the beginning. Further, I personally don't believe that it would have mattered whether you changed it early, as I don't believe the additive is a permanent fix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page