2011 Mustang 5.0 Engine Problems Again - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Interesting "friend's mother's cousin's sister" story . . .

Since I live in Southeast Michigan, about every third person I talk to works for one of the Big 3 manufacturers.

Guy I know says his father-in-law worked at the Flatrock plant until just recently. The guy told him my story, to which the father-in-law says "I wish you would have asked me before he bought it."

Apparently, though the engines are made elsewhere, it's common knowledge around the plant that there are/were "problems" with some (not all) 2011 V-8, but Ford pushed them out anyway. He didn't specify what "problems," but I think I can guess. He further noted that the V-6s are fine.

He had heard about an additive being poured in the V-8s at the factory, but didn't know anything about it personally.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

My attorney was open to me giving out his information to others with this same problem. If interested, PM me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post

Since I live in Southeast Michigan, about every third person I talk to works for one of the Big 3 manufacturers.

Guy I know says his father-in-law worked at the Flatrock plant until just recently. The guy told him my story, to which the father-in-law says "I wish you would have asked me before he bought it."

Apparently, though the engines are made elsewhere, it's common knowledge around the plant that there are/were "problems" with some (not all) 2011 V-8, but Ford pushed them out anyway. He didn't specify what "problems," but I think I can guess. He further noted that the V-6s are fine.

He had heard about an additive being poured in the V-8s at the factory, but didn't know anything about it personally.

My attorney was open to me giving out his information to others with this same problem. If interested, PM me.
Did he offer anything to back this up? a memo perhaps, just curious.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #78 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

No. And I wouldn't have asked, as to not get anyone in trouble.

From my perspective, the source was sound. For anyone else reading this, I understand it's just another internet story.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
No. And I wouldn't have asked, as to not get anyone in trouble.

From my perspective, the source was sound. For anyone else reading this, I understand it's just another internet story.
I am sure it is a credible source, but I picked up on the fact he worked there, as in past tense. Just curious if he had offered something tangible you could use to help your cause.

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
Rookie
S197 Member

I'm curious, so far as we know from this forum is the tick only happening on the manual transmission?

2011 GT Coupe Premium Red Candy
Ordered: 6/5/10 Built: 7/27/10 Delivered: 8/13/10
Apprentice

Does anyone think 2012 parts/or fixes are being used on 2011's being built now, or is it too soon.

Ordered September 11, 2010,
2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Kona Blue, Saddle, 19" Luster, 1000 Shaker, Comfort, Security, Rear Camera, Convertible Package 2,
Automatic. Delivered October 29th 2010.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGER 5.0 View Post
Does anyone think 2012 parts/or fixes are being used on 2011's being built now, or is it too soon.
There are always running engineering changes made. As to fixes, My car was built in March and is Perfect. Nothing to fix. Glad I got an early one actually!

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
post #83 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Mine is a manual, but I thought there was some autos having the problem too. Based on what I got, I would imagine that replicating the noise would require a different set of actions, though, since you would be loading the car differently.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Its really pretty crappy, but not altogether unexpected unfortunately.

They have now probably corrected the issue and will now **** around with the exsisting customers until they 1) Give up 2) find a fix 3)get sued and settle.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Really hope this all pans out for you very soon so the headaches will be over.

Try not to let this color your perception of mustangs too much. You can only expect so much from Ford but have loved mustangs all my life. (except for the 96-04s and cobra IIs)

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Apprentice

I'm a technician at a BMW dealer and this sounds like the same problem the BMW N52(Inline Six) engines have. They have a loud ticking noise and BMW's fix is to replace all the exhaust side hydraulic valve adjusters. If the ticking happens on a car that either came with these from the factory or already had the updated parts installed BMW usually tells you to replace the cylinder head.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...il-change.html

1988 GT Hatch w/T-tops:[/B] Med. Scarlet Red, K&N, Kenne Bell Air Box, 1.7 Rollers, 1 5/8" Mac Headers, 2.5" Mac H-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo Cat-back, Underdrive Pulleys, RAM HDX Clutch, MGM Shifter, T-5, FR Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.55s w/Auburn Diff., BBK 180MPH Speedo, 5 Spoke Pony Wheels.
Rookie

With all this talk about waiting for the first oil change until about 5000 miles, what does one do with oil changes when winter storage time rolls around soon? Should we change the oil when we take it out again in the spring? I ask because it's possible some cars may only have on the order of 1-2000 miles at that point.

-2011 GT Premium - Red Candy, 401A, HID, Security, Brembos, 3.55, Shaker 1000, Borla S-Type Catback
-The beater car: 2006 Fusion V6
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

i get a tick like that one, but i drve a 2006

i.imgur.com/hlhwCJZ.jpg
Apprentice

posted this is another thread because i thought it was relevant, but gonna post it here as well.

so the car is still at the dealership but my service rep called me at the end of the day telling me they heard back from the ford hotline.

she told me: i realize this is a TSB for a 2010 but Ford told us to move forward with this course of action.

she then read me this:
TSB 05-15-8, "VALVE TRAIN " "Lash adjusters can make a ticking/tapping noise noticeable at any engine RPM/temperature and is audible through the wheel well or an open hood. However with the hood down, lash adjuster noise can be heard as a light tapping noise through the wheel well and is considered normal. Tracing this noise must be isolated to a cyliner bank. If one bank is louder than the other bank focus the diagnostics to the loud bank. If both banks seem loud with the hood down, compare wheel well sound level to another comparable vehicle. Use a stethoscope on the top of the cam cover bolt heads to confirm which bank is affected. Move the probe from front to rear if necessary. If isolated, replace all lifters, intake and exhaust only on the affected cylinder bank."

she said the tech will start work on my car tmrw morning(i am guessing they have not tried to isolate the noise yet as this was very close to the end of the day when they heard back from the ford hotline). not sure what is going to come of this but it seems like the same course of action used on Kjanks car.

my car has had the tick since new and i am still on the original oil.

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweems10 View Post
posted this is another thread because i thought it was relevant, but gonna post it here as well.

so the car is still at the dealership but my service rep called me at the end of the day telling me they heard back from the ford hotline.

she told me: i realize this is a TSB for a 2010 but Ford told us to move forward with this course of action.

she then read me this:
TSB 05-15-8, "VALVE TRAIN " "Lash adjusters can make a ticking/tapping noise noticeable at any engine RPM/temperature and is audible through the wheel well or an open hood. However with the hood down, lash adjuster noise can be heard as a light tapping noise through the wheel well and is considered normal. Tracing this noise must be isolated to a cyliner bank. If one bank is louder than the other bank focus the diagnostics to the loud bank. If both banks seem loud with the hood down, compare wheel well sound level to another comparable vehicle. Use a stethoscope on the top of the cam cover bolt heads to confirm which bank is affected. Move the probe from front to rear if necessary. If isolated, replace all lifters, intake and exhaust only on the affected cylinder bank."

she said the tech will start work on my car tmrw morning(i am guessing they have not tried to isolate the noise yet as this was very close to the end of the day when they heard back from the ford hotline). not sure what is going to come of this but it seems like the same course of action used on Kjanks car.

my car has had the tick since new and i am still on the original oil.
they want to try the rear end gear oil on my car before they break into the motor...this makes me sick to even think about it

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page