2011 Mustang 5.0 Engine Problems Again - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

I saw cid driving a 2010 camaro ss last week!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney64 View Post
Because anyone can pull a pic of a car, post it and then rip it. If I were GM wondering how to compete against Mustang given that pathetic excuse for a matchbox toy interior in the visually impairing Camero, I would run down Mustangs too. It sounds like you have a sticky valve seat and the last thing you would ever do is pump honey into the system which is what you've explained. I could buy it if the guy said a quart of red ATF, because that is a long time mechanic's solution for dissolving tappet or valve seat scoring that causes those kinds of common knocks or engine noises not related to bad fuel/timing....but never could imagine any mechanic recommending what you have suggested. That is why it is hard to believe you are really a Mustang owner... so give us a VIN number or something to prove it dude. Otherwise, tell the engineers over at GM where you work to try harder, we aren't fooled.
Really! Cid and I (others too) have been involved with this from the get go. Go hassle someone else! Offer something constructive or go away!

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #108 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thanks, guys, for the support. I suspect this dude was just trying to get us worked up.

Allentown, in retrospect, I think I got on you because you were right

Cab, sometimes, I wish I had bought the Camaro after all this grief!

Apprentice

Now that we're back on track, I have another update.

The service manager called me on Friday evening. The mystery additive is in, and it has a part number: XL17. He also said that the engineer suspects lash adjusters as the source of the noise. Two of those have been ordered. I have an appointment with the engineer on Thursday morning. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I think it's interesting that they would choose to order two lash adjusters. That makes me think they know exactly where to look for the problem.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Thanks, guys, for the support. I suspect this dude was just trying to get us worked up.

Allentown, in retrospect, I think I got on you because you were right

Cab, sometimes, I wish I had bought the Camaro after all this grief!

Contrary to some of the lame arguments i have let myself get dragged into...my objective always has been to seperate the BS from the fiction, find out the truth and keep things honest.

I am looking forward to trading my 10 in for a coyote when the time comes..make no mistake about that.

The camaro is not as bad a car as some make it out to be but i still think you chose correctly...maybe jumped in before i would have, but chose correctly. More than likely you would have ended up with some BS issue on a camaro just as easily as you did with this stang, and i still think Fords quality is better than Chevy or Dodge ANY DAY of the week (over all).

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #111 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Coffee, now I'm really confused. Ford is claiming that the "ignitor" tick is "solved" by the additive, not by lash adjuster replacement.

It may be that, when the dealer describes the problem to the hotline, they can't tell for sure which problem you have -- and the dealer doesn't know the difference. So, the engineer will listen to be sure and decide accordingly.

I'm betting they go with the additive, since that's the cheaper solution.
Apprentice

Quote:
Coffee, now I'm really confused. Ford is claiming that the "ignitor" tick is "solved" by the additive, not by lash adjuster replacement.

It may be that, when the dealer describes the problem to the hotline, they can't tell for sure which problem you have -- and the dealer doesn't know the difference. So, the engineer will listen to be sure and decide accordingly.

I'm betting they go with the additive, since that's the cheaper solution.
It is only cheaper if it works forever the first time. I'm willing to bet that engineer time is more expensive than a couple of lash adjusters. If they have to send the engineer back a second time, they will have lost money.
Apprentice

FWIW- The engineer referred the service manager to the youtube video of the ticking 2011 and asked if my car sounded like that one. It does. So maybe engineering has a better handle on this now than they did when you brought your car in.

Also- a lash adjuster for the 5.0 goes for under $20, so I'm having trouble understanding why Ford would use the goop to avoid replacing them. The goop probably costs more than the lash adjuster, and doesn't last.

Video of ticking 2011 Mustang
post #114 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Yea, but isn't the labor to replace lash adjusters pretty extensive?
Apprentice

the service manager just called me and told me that they are going to replace all the lash adjusters on my left bank. may take 2 days to get the parts but i will update when i hear something. still no mention of the XL17 additive.

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
Apprentice

Quote:
Yea, but isn't the labor to replace lash adjusters pretty extensive?
Not really- less than one day. It would cost more to have owners bring the car back over and over again for the same issue. Eventually, they have to fix it or else the lemon law kicks in. Then they have to buy the car back and either issue a refund or give the customer a new car.

The kicker is that they end up fixing the problem car in the end regardless. They then take the car to the auction and sell it for a fraction of what it's otherwise worth because they have to disclose that it's a lemon law buyback. The total revenue lost in this situation is in the tens of thousands without factoring in that the affected owners are unlikely to buy another Ford product.

Adding up the real cost to Ford makes a couple of lash adjusters and a day of labor look like the deal of a lifetime.
post #117 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Yea, I understand Lemon Law procedures and consequences. However, it doesn't mean they aren't going to try the cheapest alternative first.

I am surprised by Weems' case, though. If his car truly sounds like the car in the YouTube video, than he has what I have described as the "ignitor" tick. We know the additive subdues the ignitor tick while in the engine, and Ford has contended that it will fix the problem permanently (something I believe to be false).

If they are now fixing that with lash adjusters instead of the mystery goo, maybe they are finally admitting that the additive is not a permanent fix.

Coffee alluded to this earlier. I'll be really interested to see how Weems' car turns out.
post #118 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

One other thing to add to this.

When my dealer was trying to diagnose the ignitor tick (and before the mystery additive was offered up as a solution), they told me that the sound was infinitely worse from under the car, i.e. when on the lift.

If this was a lash adjuster problem, would that be the case? I guess it's possible that the bad lash adjuster noise could reverberate down the car and out the bottom, but I have my doubts.
Rookie
Classic Member

Cool Oil Change at 3700 Miles (?) or Wait 'til 5000? 7500?

My 2011 5.0 engine just hit 3700 miles today.
I have had NO ticks since delivery miles=88 (my 'ordered car' delivery mileage!)
Lucky me!

Should i have the oil changed now, or soon, or...
should I wait until there is a definitive reason for the tick tick tick from Ford?
I've been considering changing at 5000, 7500, or 10000
Normally, for a new car, I change the oil at 3000 miles.

Just looking for opinions, guys. What would you do?
- Big thumbs up for the design engineers, RadioRich

-RadioRich
2011 GT-Premium, 6M, Performance White, Black Interior
Glass Roof, Comfort Group, Security Group, 19" 64V Wheels
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRich View Post
My 2011 5.0 engine just hit 3700 miles today.
I have had NO ticks since delivery miles=88 (my 'ordered car' delivery mileage!)
Lucky me!

Should i have the oil changed now, or soon, or...
should I wait until there is a definitive reason for the tick tick tick from Ford?
I've been considering changing at 5000, 7500, or 10000
Normally, for a new car, I change the oil at 3000 miles.

Just looking for opinions, guys. What would you do?
- Big thumbs up for the design engineers, RadioRich
I'd change the oil whenever you want to. If you're gonna get the "tick" then I would think you'd get it no matter how many miles are on it when you change the oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page