MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog1157 View Post
I'd change the oil whenever you want to. If you're gonna get the "tick" then I would think you'd get it no matter how many miles are on it when you change the oil.
Not necessarily.

If Ford is correct and this is a break in issue...leaving the original oil in for 5,000 or 7,5000 is advisable as it probably contains "mystery goo-x" and is supposed to help the process.

Cids has his doubts if this is really the case, and although i dont personally own a 5.0, i have read as much as anyone who does on the sujbect..and i tend to wonder if maybe just maybe the sound really will go away with break in...

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

If I had it to do all over again, I'd just change it when the information center said to change it -- whether that's 3000 or 10000 miles.

As Allentown said, I don't believe that this is a breakin issue. However, if just wait until the information center says to change it, no one can accuse you of bringing the tick by being overzealous.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRich View Post
My 2011 5.0 engine just hit 3700 miles today....Should i have the oil changed now, or soon, or...
should I wait until there is a definitive reason for the tick tick tick from Ford? I've been considering changing at 5000, 7500, or 10000
Normally, for a new car, I change the oil at 3000 miles.
Lemon Law in Mass runs out at 15k miles. Change the oil right now.

Apprentice

Changed my oil at 1800 miles have 3000 miles on it now no ticks no simmys no shakes?
Apprentice

Black GT-I changed my oil at 2600KM. I would have waited but it was dirty due to some rural driving. Dusty. I had a nasty tick after. I did not see these posts so had no idea it was a issue.

Well the tick was intermitent here and there. Could hear it especially in the garage etc. Took it to the dealer. They could hear it to.

I have had other issues and my Mustang tech called the Ford hotline and no TSB and the one Oisis bullitens was not there any more.

Ok short story long. Tick is gone.Not sure if it was a ignitor tick or lasher tick or whatever. Seems more break in and miles seems to solve?

However I still have the idel RPM surge, Up and down. But that is another issue.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

either the lash adjusters are a separate noise or the lash adjusters require some 'break in'. It is a viscosity issue and the noise will go away, from what I have been told and by what I experienced - "no noise has been found in any engines over 10,000 miles". My best guess is if the lash adjusters are to blame then the tolerances may be just enough off to make noise and changing the viscosity eliminates the noise until they 'seat' or 'break in'. And why only two adjusters? there must be something they are rubbing or tapping against, cam adjusters/phasers, maybe???

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
post #127 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Coyote, I think it's easy for Ford to claim that no cars have made the noise with more than 10,000 miles (if only unofficially through your channels) . . . how many folks have over 10k on their 2011? So, are we talking about some test cars? How many could that be?
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Coyote, I think it's easy for Ford to claim that no cars have made the noise with more than 10,000 miles (if only unofficially through your channels) . . . how many folks have over 10k on their 2011? So, are we talking about some test cars? How many could that be?
No specifics given, but most likely test vehicles. I just want to know 1. what is causing the noise and 2. why certain oils and additives make the noise go away. I wonder if I switched back to 5w20 if the noise would come back?

2011 Mustang 5.0
-Black
-MT82 6 speed
-Brembo brakes
-GT coupe appearance pkg 5
-Steeda CAI
-LD Performance Custom tune
2011 Mustang MCA edition
Apprentice

Update

I took my car in for service today for the tick. The engineer spent a few hours looking over the car, driving it, recording sound clips, etc. He could not determine the exact cause of the ticking. He said it did not appear to be lash adjusters.

Next, he put the XL-17 in. The ticking did not go away. Perhaps it's a little quieter, but there's not enough difference to know for sure. Maybe it takes some time, I don't know. The engineer asked that I drive the car until 7500 miles, then bring it back for an oil change and a re-evaluation. He also said that Ford will be extending my power train warranty.

Honestly, I'd rather do this for now than have them tear apart my motor not knowing exactly what to look for. Ford knows there is a problem and seems committed to finding and fixing it. Better to let them disassemble their own engines looking for clues than disassemble mine.

In the meantime- I have more info on the XL-17. It's a Ford Motorcraft branded product, and comes in an 8oz plastic bottle with a regular looking Motorcraft label. I also found an MSDS for it that says what is in it. I've attached it to this post for whoever is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf us186248us.pdf (165.3 KB, 1419 views)
post #130 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejolts View Post
I took my car in for service today for the tick. The engineer spent a few hours looking over the car, driving it, recording sound clips, etc. He could not determine the exact cause of the ticking. He said it did not appear to be lash adjusters.

Next, he put the XL-17 in. The ticking did not go away. Perhaps it's a little quieter, but there's not enough difference to know for sure. Maybe it takes some time, I don't know. The engineer asked that I drive the car until 7500 miles, then bring it back for an oil change and a re-evaluation. He also said that Ford will be extending my power train warranty.

Honestly, I'd rather do this for now than have them tear apart my motor not knowing exactly what to look for. Ford knows there is a problem and seems committed to finding and fixing it. Better to let them disassemble their own engines looking for clues than disassemble mine.

In the meantime- I have more info on the XL-17. It's a Ford Motorcraft branded product, and comes in an 8oz plastic bottle with a regular looking Motorcraft label. I also found an MSDS for it that says what is in it. I've attached it to this post for whoever is interested.
Okay, either the so-named XL-17 is different than what I got, or you don't have the same tick. Both times they put this mystery crap in my car, the tick went away almost instantly (again, it came back once drained).

It did nothing for the other ticking I have, though, which I describe as the lifter tick. That tick is in rythem with the engine at idle and just off idle. Lash adjusters?
Apprentice

Well i called the service manager again this week. He said he would check into things again. Well he called back today, and said " Ford said too start taking thing apart to find out whats going on". So im taking it in next week, he said they may need my car for a few days. So i will see what they say, and will post ASAP. Mine had the knock tapping in the shifter handle. Like morse code at times, and other times not there. He did also say Ford said to start with the trans first, and this does it when the clutch is in. Ronn

2011 GT 373 Hid Sec Brembo 6spd Race Red
Apprentice

*update*
they replaced all the lash adjusters on my left bank and the tick is still there. def not the lash adjusters. i am going out of town for a week and will probably be taking it back in when they hear from a ford engineer on what to try next. the saga continues...

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
post #133 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Remind me, have they tried the mystery additive on your car yet?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Remind me, have they tried the mystery additive on your car yet?
nope, but i just emailed the service manager the part # and pdf and he is going to look into it. there has been no mention of the oil additive from the ford hotline for my car.

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
GT Member

Thanks coffee. That is definately more technical than "mystery goop"!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page