2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?
Yes 316 43.77%
No 406 56.23%
Voters: 722. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse View Post
Mine has no ticking, but I always have the music loud, and with windows down my exhaust is crazy. Soooo... I will check in the AM when I get off work.

How do I know what job mine is, and what job are you referring to? How many jobs are there?
On the window sticker below if you look at the top just to the right of the FLR-000645 then you'll see the number 120100825. The build date is the 100825 of that number, August 25th. At least that's what I've read on here somewhere.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...BP8CF7B5144702

I wanted to ask the people that have the engine tick, how did you drive the car during "break in"? Did you do what the owners manual suggests or did you drive it really hard? Just wondering if maybe that might have something to do with it?

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-27-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

I babied mine for the first 300 miles, then drove it normal (but not hard) until I got to 1000 miles. From there after, I had fun with it, but I don't race and I don't bounce the engine off the rev limiter.

This issue is not driver induced, though I understand the question. Again, I first noticed the "ignitor" tick the first day I got it home. I had hoped it was just something that would go away with break-in, but it didn't.

PONY Member

No ticks, 1800 miles -- with build date 5/15. Afraid to change oil :/

2011 5.0 Mustang Premium Convertible Sterling Grey, 6 spd Manual, Comfort package, Hood Scoop and rear Pedestal Spoiler, GT500 mufflers, GT500 mud flaps, mini antenna, red caliper covers, Boss shift ball and boot, LED trunk lights, Locking GAS Fuel Plug CAP. Ordered 3/30/2010, build date 5/3/2010. delivered 6/16/2010 car still running in perfect condition.
. :kooky:

Apprentice
S197 Member

I have more of a soft knock/dull tick noise (only after it is warmed up) since I had the car. Brought it in to the dealership to get it logged in and they were in the process of contacting an engineer. I brought it back about 3 weeks later to have it checked again and the service manager noted that the soft knocking/dull ticking noise seemed louder to him. They contacted the Ford Hotline Rep and he suggested that they needed to find a 2011 Mustang GT with the same equipt. as mine (6 spd/3.31 gears etc.) to listen to and see if it was making the same noise. They had an GT with an auto tranny and check it against my car. Didn't have the noise. They are planning on getting an engineer to listen to the car.

I got a call the other day from the service manager and the engineer recommended that I wait until the first oil change and they will change the oil to see if the noise will return. I got pretty angry then, and told him No Way! and I wanted the engineer as soon as possible to check out my car. I know there is something wrong with the engine. I've heard engine ticks before and this noise I was hearing sounded like it was coming from the engine on the passenger side towards the back two cylinders. (Someone in the service dept confided in me that it sounded like a main bearing slowly going out, but he couldn't do anything until the engineer listened to it).

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Diggerpine

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
post #50 of 826 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

taking mine in tmrw to have them check out the tick...will let you guys know what they tell me

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
Apprentice
5.0L Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...il-change.html

1988 GT Hatch w/T-tops:[/B] Med. Scarlet Red, K&N, Kenne Bell Air Box, 1.7 Rollers, 1 5/8" Mac Headers, 2.5" Mac H-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo Cat-back, Underdrive Pulleys, RAM HDX Clutch, MGM Shifter, T-5, FR Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.55s w/Auburn Diff., BBK 180MPH Speedo, 5 Spoke Pony Wheels.
post #52 of 826 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

took mine it today to have them look at my ticking issue...no word back yet, but get this they rented me a chevy silverado. i guess they were out of compact cars.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...10-post89.html

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-27-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Apprentice

Mine has ticked since day one and now with 1400 miles on it, it seems to only be getting worse, and it is eberassing because i can pull into a parking lot and people look over to see what the noise is, it's loud as crap,

I'm not sure that i want a car that has been "repaired"

I wish buying a new car was like buying something from wal-mart because i would probuably just return the car for a refund if i could and go back to driving my 12 year old mustang gt
post #54 of 826 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulage View Post
Mine has ticked since day one and now with 1400 miles on it, it seems to only be getting worse, and it is eberassing because i can pull into a parking lot and people look over to see what the noise is, it's loud as crap,

I'm not sure that i want a car that has been "repaired"

I wish buying a new car was like buying something from wal-mart because i would probuably just return the car for a refund if i could and go back to driving my 12 year old mustang gt
amen brother! i am beginning to regret purchasing my car.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweems10 View Post
amen brother! i am beginning to regret purchasing my car.
Already there
Apprentice

by looking at the poll here there are already about 26 cars that have the same problem, i say we all get together with a good lawyer and have Ford take these cars back with a full refund

we are making hefty payments on a car that sounds like it has a solid lifter inline 6 from a 1965 F100 farm truck under the hood

it's sickning
post #57 of 826 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulage View Post
by looking at the poll here there are already about 26 cars that have the same problem, i say we all get together with a good lawyer and have Ford take these cars back with a full refund

we are making hefty payments on a car that sounds like it has a solid lifter inline 6 from a 1965 F100 farm truck under the hood

it's sickning
and that is just 26 on THIS site...just imagine how many there really are out there ticking away

PONY Member

anybody with a build date of August or later that has the ticking?
FWP
Apprentice
S197 Member

Build date of May 2010, 2500 miles currently, no ticking at all.
Rookie
S197 Member

6K miles, had first oil change, no tick!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coyote , help engine , ticking , ticking lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page