2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?
Yes 316 43.77%
No 406 56.23%
Voters: 722. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 826 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

for those of you wondering what the tick i am describing sounds like...here is a video

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick

if you have the tick that is in the video above(remember mine was not nearly as loud as it is in the video until after an oil change) please take your car into the dealer and at least have them document it. also call ford customer service directly 800-392-3673 and have them document you are having an issue as well. the sooner everyone starts complaining the sooner they will come up with a fix and issue a tsb/recall. thx in advance.

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-27-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
S197 Member

@Jweems -- Thanks for posting the video. I'm supposed to pick up my GT in Dec and now I know what to look for.

On order - 2011 Kona Blue GT Premium, Manual xmsn, Brembos, 401 interior w/Grabber Blue accent, HID, Sec/Comfort Pkgs, 3.55, Nav

Other ride - Mil Mi-17 helicopter:kooky:
Apprentice

No tick in mine, at least I haven't noticed one, and from what I'm hearing I WOULD HAVE noticed it if I had it, especially since I park my car in a garage. It seems it's much louder in a confined area. Build date of 6-11-2010. I changed the oil at around 3600 miles (70% oil life remaining). Then again around 8300 (when I had 4% remaining). Both times I used Mobil 1 5W-20 with a Motorcraft oil filter.

Yeah I just watched jweems's video. That's pretty loud, definitely don't have that. Great video, but sorry about your problem

2011 Mustang GT - Kona Blue, 6MT, Brembos, 3.73s, Everything but auto & glass roof.
BMR Springs, K&N Drop-in, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-27-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts

post #79 of 826 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The service manager at my dealership called me yesterday. He told me he heard from a ford engineer and he told him that there is going to be a TSB for the 5.0's to add a belt tensioner to them that will stop the ticking. He said he could not give me a timeline on when it would be issued. The guy has been pretty open and honest with me so far so I am thinking it is probably legit. I am not sure how this would stop the ticking though. What do you guys think?

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Blk/Blk | 6-speed manual | 3.73s | Brembos | HIDs | Timex Mod from factory |
GT Member

As I think about this, BADCOYOTE had said there was some tick that Ford was diagnosing by removing the drivebelt. However, that was for a tick different from the one I believe you have. So, I wonder if the belt tensioner solution is for one of the many reported ticks, and possibly different from your's.

Just speculation though . . .
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to 5venoms
It sounds like an exhaust leak
Rookie

Yes it does

Mine has a tick and I took it to the dealer and they said the mech didn't "hear anything wrong with it". Uh ok.

Also having problems with the ignition, when I turn it over, the car starter motor (or whatever starts it now) stays on. They said, "the mech didn't find anything wrong with the starter". Uh ok.

So, as long as I have that warranty, any and all issues will be brought up with the dealer.
PONY Member

FYI haven't noticed my tick since loading Bama race tune
Apprentice

That's nasty. Best of luck finding and fixing it.

2007 VEE-SIK

ForSale - 17" Eagle Alloy wheels with 245/45F&275/40R Sumitomo HTR ZII's. BBK Cold-Air Intake. DiabloSport Predator tuner (U7145). 05-10 HP White rear quarter window louvers and side scoops.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcrabb View Post
mine ticks. but very very quiet and u can only hear it at idle.
And like noted above it kinda sounds like a small exhaust tick or injector noise. Im not worried.

I have to agree with you the ticks I hear is injectors. As a side note I put 87 octane in the owners manual said its ok to use but the ticks became louder. So went back to 90 octane and I have not noticed any ticks at all. Injectors I don't know?
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
FYI haven't noticed my tick since loading Bama race tune
I have a feeling that I know the issue. We did some stock vs. tuned vs. stock vs. tuned comparisons today and noticed it went away too. We're going to datalog it tomorrow.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
I have a feeling that I know the issue. We did some stock vs. tuned vs. stock vs. tuned comparisons today and noticed it went away too. We're going to datalog it tomorrow.
I'm skeptical, but anxiously waiting to hear.

So far, we only know that the mystery goo makes the tick go away when it's in the engine, but it comes back when the goo is removed (contrary to Ford's claim). Ford says the tick is a break-in issue that goes away on its own with time (quicker if the goo is in there).

A few have said it went away on its own, others not. Many folks are being told that Ford is working on a solution, and they are sent home. For some, Ford has put in two quarts of 75w-140 gear oil, but no one has said that worked. A couple have said that they put in "XL-17;" it was speculated that this was the mystery goo, but it didn't fix the problem like it did when the unnamed goo was put in my car.

So, it would be crazy if, after all that, the problem could be tuned out.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
I'm skeptical, but anxiously waiting to hear.

So far, we only know that the mystery goo makes the tick go away when it's in the engine, but it comes back when the goo is removed (contrary to Ford's claim). Ford says the tick is a break-in issue that goes away on its own with time (quicker if the goo is in there).

A few have said it went away on its own, others not. Many folks are being told that Ford is working on a solution, and they are sent home. For some, Ford has put in two quarts of 75w-140 gear oil, but no one has said that worked. A couple have said that they put in "XL-17;" it was speculated that this was the mystery goo, but it didn't fix the problem like it did when the unnamed goo was put in my car.

So, it would be crazy if, after all that, the problem could be tuned out.

75w-140 gear oil is for the cricket like sound not the tick sound and it does fix it. The cricket like sound is caused by the rings and is a simple harmonics issue in some cylinders caused by the rings rubbing the cylinder walls. The gear oil makes the noise go away very quickly. It does nothing for the tick.
post #89 of 826 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
anxiously awaiting results

Apprentice

Any update on this? I am getting ready to buy a 2011 5.0 and just noticed the build date of 04/20. Got me a little worried. Is there a fix or does a tune correct it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coyote , help engine , ticking , ticking lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page