2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?
Yes 316 43.77%
No 406 56.23%
Voters: 722. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

no tick scheduled 4/19....built 4/26....rebuilt 4/29. went back in for a mystery fix. delivered 5/29.

changed oil exactly at 5000 miles. used mobil 1 synthetic. proper weight oil. and a valvoline check-ball filter.

8000 miles. no real problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

No Tick After Oil Change

Just thought I would update everyone who is still holding out on changing their oil, (Like I was )

The fear of going into dealer for a first oil change and coming out with engine noise is over.

Happy to report , had the oil changed Friday with just 1100 miles on the 5.0. No new noises, engine still idles fine after warm up and sounds fine through the RPM's.

Dealer also checked out everything as well as the feel of my clutch.. Still no issues to report as of now..

Checked into with the Sales Mgr I know: So far they delivered "18" 2011 5.0's, No one in so far for engine noise or clutch issues yet. He promised to keep me posted.

Build date 8/5/10, Delivered 8/18/10 , home almost 4 months now

TG

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I'm not about to read through 7 pages of posts to find out. Anyway my car ticks when I first start it up, on the passenger’s side sounds like a lifter tick. But it's not, it's the PCV valve, sounds like the little ball in there is bouncing up and down in perfect time to the engine pulse. I know this is what is making the sound because you can put your hand on it and feel it and hear the sound change. I could see how an oil change could make it louder. Anyway, check it out. As far as I know no one has come out and said what the noise is, just that they have a noise. A rattling PCV valve is nothing to worry about or expensive to replace. It's just doing its job. Now I'm not saying this is everyone’s problem, just something to check. Good luck.

1988 GT Hatch w/T-tops:[/B] Med. Scarlet Red, K&N, Kenne Bell Air Box, 1.7 Rollers, 1 5/8" Mac Headers, 2.5" Mac H-pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo Cat-back, Underdrive Pulleys, RAM HDX Clutch, MGM Shifter, T-5, FR Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.55s w/Auburn Diff., BBK 180MPH Speedo, 5 Spoke Pony Wheels.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Could be loose cam caps...

WWW.S197FORUM.COM - View Single Post - Excessive Valvetrain Noise in the 5.0... Leads to Tear Down

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Sub'... No tick noise on my so far but the clutch is starting to slip on take off in 1st gear. I have 350 miles...is this just the clutch breaking in and I need to adjust the way I drive or is there a know issue with the 5.0 clutch?

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

No tick on mine, has 1400 miles and build date of 7/10. keeping my fingers crossed that i don't in the future and hoping those of you with the problem get it figured out!!

2011 GT Prem., man 6
Rookie

Just changed my oil to Royal Purple 5W20 at 5000 miles. Took a quick spin and returned home only to discover the same tick documented in jweems10 video. Calling the dealership.

Felix
__________________________________________________ ____
2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Performance White, 6MT,Brembo Pkg ,Security Pkg,Shaker 1000, K&N Drop-in, Royal Purple
5W20 Syn Oil and Filter
Born Date 05/12/10
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine was delivered June 2, 2010. No tick whatsoever. The motor purrs in every situation. However, I did have the crazy clutch problems, but this isn't the poll for that. I'm up to 8500km (almost 5300mi) and no problems. I'm driving it through the snow and cold of winter as well. (I had planned on buying a winter vehicle but I decided to go back to school instead).

//2011 Mustang GT - #53 - Race Red, 6 speed, 3.73 rear end\\
Apprentice

I have a Tick on my scalp but none on my car.

My Mustang: 2011 Mustang GT/CS Black
Equipment: 402A-GT/CS|Electronics Pkg| 6 Spd Auto| HID| Security
Rookie

2011 Mustang GT Rocky Ridge

I have the tick btw 2000-3000 RPM when first start the car, but it is only under load, it doesnt do it when reving with no load.
PONY Member

I've been following this topic for a while...joined forum today to give my 1/2 cent.

I purchased my car in late September 2010, drove it 150 miles, changed the oil to Castrol 5W20 - The old school stuff and noticed a tick from 1800 to 2400 so I added Lucas Oil TB-Zinc plus which I have used in the past on another. I think Royal Purple has a similar item.

The tick was gone after 100 miles of driving. Started driving hard at 500 miles and still no ticks. I have 1300 miles on the car now and no ticking noises. The car was in storage from late november to the end of December when the weather hit about 50 degrees here, so I took it out for a hard-core spin on new years day, no ticking at all.

If I hear the tick again at my next oil change I will use the Lucas TB-Zinc again. For high performance they recommend it for each oil change anyway and it never hurts.

If you have a tick:
Have the dealer re-torque the exhaust headers and exhaust plumbing first, prior to adding anything to the engine or taking off the valve covers, then go from there. In my opinion 99 out of 100 of these tick noises will go away with break-in. A heavier oil may help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproctor411 View Post
I've been following this topic for a while...joined forum today to give my 1/2 cent.

I purchased my car in late September 2010, drove it 150 miles, changed the oil to Castrol 5W20 - The old school stuff and noticed a tick from 1800 to 2400 so I added Lucas Oil TB-Zinc plus which I have used in the past on another. I think Royal Purple has a similar item.

too.
UPDATE: Only use Lucas TB-Zinc addative in cars without Catalytic Converters and during the initial break-in period. I spoke with a Lucas Oil technician about this today after getting a message from a person on this site stating the product is only for cars older than 2004. Thanks! I'm used to doing things the old way with my Windsor Motors...which I am adding pics of my 90' 5.0 project in my profile in the next few hours.

Find a break-in addative for newer cars - they are available.

2011 5.0 GT 3.55 gears, Candy Apple, Steeda CAI and SCT Tune,Steeda Control Arms, LCA Relocation Bracket, Pan Hard Bar and Brace, Ultra Light Springs, 3rd Link, Camber Plates, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Shifter, Barton Shifter Bushing, Flowmaster hush power. Steeda 18X9 Chrome Pentar/Nitto NT05 275/40/18. BBK long tubes and OR xpipe

2005 F150 SXT, OX Locker, 4.10 gears, Edge CS Tuner, 33x10 AT, K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-27-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Rookie

possible exhaust leak

Hey Gents,

I think the ticking noise you all are referring to could possibly be an exhaust leak caused by the A.C. dripping on to the manifold. This has been a long time running problem with the mustangs and was once fixed by placing a by pass piece of plastic to divert the water away. Has any that has this problem tried looking under their hoods at night?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
tick noise

reminds me of a loose plug wire in the old days

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweems10 View Post
for those of you wondering what the tick i am describing sounds like...here is a video

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick
In person, was the tick irregular like it sounds in the video?.. "tick-tick-tick...tick...tick...tick-tick-tick.....tick...tick-tick-tick"

I was wondering about this when my brother said my engine sounds like a sewing machine It's not nearly as loud, though, and just sounds like typical engine noise.

Build2 2011 Kona Blue GT. Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Glass Roof.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
In person, was the tick irregular like it sounds in the video?.. "tick-tick-tick...tick...tick...tick-tick-tick.....tick...tick-tick-tick"

I was wondering about this when my brother said my engine sounds like a sewing machine It's not nearly as loud, though, and just sounds like typical engine noise.
You're probably talking about two different noises. The 'ingnitor tick' you hear in that video is usually irregular at idle, but tends to be more regular when you put the engine under just the right load (it's hard to hear like that unless you're driving my a building or something).

The "sewing machine" sounds at idle may or may not be normal -- depends on how bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coyote , help engine , ticking , ticking lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page