2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up? - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?
Yes 316 43.77%
No 406 56.23%
Voters: 722. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The ticking is a bad lifter.
Mine was the first one in the country fixed in June last year. Ford replaced all the drivers side lifters. Problem gone.

DO NOT allow an incompetent service department to use any additives at ALL.

My car was handled properly at Classic Ford in Mentor, Ohio.

They simply had a run on bad lifters in random builds - and it didnt show up, until the cars were completely warmed up after production, and sitting at dealers already.

Get YOUR Ford dealer to read the bulletins.

2011 Kona Blue GT. Ordered on April 12th - Built 6-10-10 - Delivered in June. 6-Speed Premium. HID Lights. 3.73's. Premium Upgrade. Rapid Spec Package 401A. Security System. Just had windows tinted 35% and it looks so awesome against the Kona Blue color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

some of these tick that people are hearing are just fuel injectors! i mean like the loud tick on that video isnt but what a lot of people are complaining about is normal. there high out-put motors what do you want from them lol

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gtnick View Post
some of these tick that people are hearing are just fuel injectors! i mean like the loud tick on that video isnt but what a lot of people are complaining about is normal. there high out-put motors what do you want from them lol
Good thing smart guys like you can set us straight.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Good thing smart guys like you can set us straight.
im just saying i work at a ford dealer and when people read online that someone has a problem with there car they think their car has a problem to. you dont understand the amount of people that come in and complain because they read something online. i have not yet seen a true tick problem yet and more then 20 people have came in and complained. all of them were just injectors or just stupid ****. i wasnt trying to be an ass
GT Member

Quote:
... all of them were just injectors or just stupid ****. . .
Alright, give us some info to assess your credibility. What position do you hold for a Ford dealer? If it isn't injectors, what kind of ticks are "just stupid ****" to you, i.e. what have you found to be causing the ticks (other than injectors) that you are claiming is normal?

At least 20 people have complained about ticks on the 5.0 at your dealership alone? And you're saying they were all wrong? I can buy that some are, but all of them?
Rookie

Quote:
Alright, give us some info to assess your credibility. What position do you hold for a Ford dealer? If it isn't injectors, what kind of ticks are "just stupid ****" to you, i.e. what have you found to be causing the ticks (other than injectors) that you are claiming is normal?

At least 20 people have complained about ticks on the 5.0 at your dealership alone? And you're saying they were all wrong? I can buy that some are, but all of them?
im a b tech at ford in new jersey. we have had one car at our dealer i didnt work on it that actually had a true tick problem they replace the lifters on it and it was fine. they say that there is a fix coming out for cars that have a loud noise (sounds like exhaust leak) that is found that it is not the lifter, that does something with the tension belt i have not seen it yet so i dont know. and another car that complain of a tick problem but it was actually a loose belt or something like that problem. just stupid ticks well first we had a guy come in and said he had the TICK PROBLEM from the forums lol. and when we look at it there was nothing wrong the guy came into the bay and had us listen to a noise and the noise he was complaining about was the fans turning on. another one was a screw in a tire that was complain that his motor was going to blow.ext im sorry but im not saying everyone but some people just some people just read something online and any noise they hear they think it is a huge problem. trust me im the first to fight against our ford rep i hate how they do things but most people that complain about this if they never read it on one of the forums they wouldnt of came in. alot say that there is a tsb out on it and they saw it online there are very few tsbs on our cars right now lol. now talking about people complaining with me owning one the trans are a problem. we have people take the car home and a few days later come in and complain. this is a true problem that 99% of people that come in have it. or ive seen a few and i actually had it the blower motor makes weird sounds thats a problem. in the end all im saying before you waste your time going to the dealer make sure that it is truely something that is abnormal. all your doing is missing your car for a day and letting people you dont know drive and work on it. thats all.
GT Member

Quote:
im a b tech at ford in new jersey. we have had one car at our dealer i didnt work on it that actually had a true tick problem they replace the lifters on it and it was fine. they say that there is a fix coming out for cars that have a loud noise (sounds like exhaust leak) that is found that it is not the lifter, that does something with the tension belt i have not seen it yet so i dont know. and another car that complain of a tick problem but it was actually a loose belt or something like that problem. just stupid ticks well first we had a guy come in and said he had the TICK PROBLEM from the forums lol. and when we look at it there was nothing wrong the guy came into the bay and had us listen to a noise and the noise he was complaining about was the fans turning on. another one was a screw in a tire that was complain that his motor was going to blow.ext im sorry but im not saying everyone but some people just some people just read something online and any noise they hear they think it is a huge problem. trust me im the first to fight against our ford rep i hate how they do things but most people that complain about this if they never read it on one of the forums they wouldnt of came in. alot say that there is a tsb out on it and they saw it online there are very few tsbs on our cars right now lol. now talking about people complaining with me owning one the trans are a problem. we have people take the car home and a few days later come in and complain. this is a true problem that 99% of people that come in have it. or ive seen a few and i actually had it the blower motor makes weird sounds thats a problem. in the end all im saying before you waste your time going to the dealer make sure that it is truely something that is abnormal. all your doing is missing your car for a day and letting people you dont know drive and work on it. thats all.
Okay, thanks for getting back. It wouldn't surprise me if a few get paranoid after reading posts, but I suspect most tick complaints are legitimate (even if they are easily solved by something other than major engine work). Fuel injectors are quiet enough that I can't imagine too many people actually think something is wrong with the car because of them.

And I KNOW mine doesn't sound the way a $36k car should. And, since I was the first to post about the tick(s), you can't claim I read it elsewhere and got paranoid
Rookie

yea np man. i wasnt saying that you or everyone that has posted didnt have a problem all i was saying ppl google mustang engine tick and the forums come up they dont really read into it or really understand it and then go running and waste their time and let some random person drive their car for no reason. me having been a tech read a forum and i go outside and look at me car to see its just natural. i was just trying to get out dont waste your own time unless you really think something is wrong. just because a few or bunch of cars have a problem dont dread on problems and actually think your car has it. to be honest cars that sound like the video have a major problem no ?s ask. i would be really pissed to. sorry that i didnt express myself right off the bat. well good luck with yours and if you dont get any where with the dealer call fords customer service line. i know on one of the forums they list a lady to call.

Quote:
Okay, thanks for getting back. It wouldn't surprise me if a few get paranoid after reading posts, but I suspect most tick complaints are legitimate (even if they are easily solved by something other than major engine work). Fuel injectors are quiet enough that I can't imagine too many people actually think something is wrong with the car because of them.

And I KNOW mine doesn't sound the way a $36k car should. And, since I was the first to post about the tick(s), you can't claim I read it elsewhere and got paranoid
Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to 1500Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweems10 View Post
i posted this on svtp but thought i would post here as well. i have seen people on a few different forums complain of this issue. mine ticks when the engine is warmed up and happens between 800-2000 rpm and has since new although i didnt notice it right away. it is a lot worse with the a/c on and does not affect performance. just wanted to get a feel for how many people are having this issue and how many have taken the car to the dealer to have it checked out. also, if you have a vid or sound clip please post it.

does your car have a tick when warmed up between 800-2000 rpm(worse with a/c on)?

what is your build date?

do you think it is something to worry about?

have you taken it in for service because of the tick(if so what was your experience)?
other than the tick my car is a beast and i love it
None at this time, but I've installed FRP Whipple supercharger and the required reflash. I would certainly have your Ford Dealership look into the "tick" as this is a very close clearenced engine.
Rookie

Is this the infamous tick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTpMTCIRCF4

Loudest from the passenger wheel well
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ontheloose View Post
Is this the infamous tick?

YouTube - 5.0 tick.MOV

Loudest from the passenger wheel well
no. thats the other exhaust leak sound thats a tensioner or something. Or whatever that b tech from jersey was saying a fix may be coming out for sometime. Read a few threads up from here. Think mine has the same sound. hear during startup. Open the hood and really dont hear it. When I do hear it I keep going over the pass side behind the front wheel and stick my head under there and hear it.
Rookie

Mine has 1,000 miles on it and it ticks right at 2500-2700 rpm until thoroughly warmed.
GT Member

I don't know if it's been brought up but previous versions of the modular engines the oil paths were from the front of the left head and back of the right head. The Coyote is the first version to feed both heads from the front. Is it possible that the valvtrains on the rear of the head aren't getting sufficient lubrication when the engine is cold or at low rpm idle?
Rookie

400 miles and i recently got the 5.0 back from the dealer. Had a few concerns, some answered some not. Tranny noise, and some diff ticks i was concerned about.

Needless to say the dealer says its a "characteristic of the car". So i had posted a video a few days back where you can hear the exhaust tick coming from the front passenger wheel well.
I had the dealer start up 3 different brand new 5.0 and they all had the same exact exhaust tick. All loudest from the passenger wheel well. I firmly belive this is just a normal characteristic of the vehicle now.

When I returned home i popped the hood and was listening......and what do u know. The ignitor tick has found its way into my brand New 500 mile 5.0

A few thoughts on this. Since I have noticed it, it has gotten a little bit quieter (i hope).

So im sitting here thinking about how prevalent this problem is. I would probly have never noticed this isuue if I had not found the related video looking for somthing different.

Im willing to bet alot more 5.0 owners are plauged of this issue than we think. If i never would have leaned into my engine bay to listen and try to isolate this noise i never would have noticed it.

So, next time you take a drive and return home pop the hood before you turn her off and listen closely to the right valve cover twords the rear two cylinders and see if you hear anything.

Im prayin that this really is a break in issue.

I guess well find out in a few years.
GT Member

82, so you're saying you and your dealer believe the idle ticking from the front/right wheel well is "normal."

But, you also have the ignitor tick? Don't let anyone tell you that is "normal."

Corkonfork -- you are describing the 'cold start knock' problem -- that is completely different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coyote , help engine , ticking , ticking lifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page