Ford Mustang Forum banner

Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?

2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up?

327K views 825 replies 266 participants last post by  Verty13 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
i posted this on svtp but thought i would post here as well. i have seen people on a few different forums complain of this issue. mine ticks when the engine is warmed up and happens between 800-2000 rpm and has since new although i didnt notice it right away. it is a lot worse with the a/c on and does not affect performance. just wanted to get a feel for how many people are having this issue and how many have taken the car to the dealer to have it checked out. also, if you have a vid or sound clip please post it.

does your car have a tick when warmed up between 800-2000 rpm(worse with a/c on)?

what is your build date?

do you think it is something to worry about?

have you taken it in for service because of the tick(if so what was your experience)?
other than the tick my car is a beast and i love it :punk:

#3 ·
thx for the input cids...i have been keeping up with all of your threads. exactly how loud is the tick you have? i want someone to post a vid or sound clip so i can compare mine. mine seems really loud to me at times(embarassingly loud at a drive thru or closed in area). i really just wonder how widespread this is. is it only affecting certain build dates? How many dont notice it because they drive with the windows up and music blasting and how many just dont let it bother them so they dont post about it. i am very anxious to see what you find out on monday. please keep us updated. oh, and my build date is 06/10.

all in all i still love my car and i am glad i got it...i have to admit i did expect issues with a first year drive train. i just hope ford comes up with a fix soon so i can not worry about my car anymore.

#8 ·
Mine has ticked since I changed the oil ( motocraft 5w20 synblend ).
Only ticks between 800-2000, and only when fully warmed up. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, because I don't want to be a guniea pig (gear oil, wtf?). The tick is not very loud, but it noticable when the windows are down in a parking garage.

Build Date: 5/19/2010

#9 ·
No ticks or noise so far!Hope it stays that way!

Half afraid to change the oil.Still only about 1,300 miles on her.Thinking I'll wait a while longer till I hear or see more info.

#10 ·
No tick as of now, only 250 miles, build date 8/5

I will keep listening for it though...

#13 ·
I voted no but i not done my first oil change yet so i don't know if the factory has put any thing in my oil yet to start with. I find out this week going to change the oil in my car .

#16 ·
4/10 build - No ticks. 2700 miles. No oil change yet.

#17 ·
I voted yes but to be honest I'm not concerned about the tick.My build date was 5/14 and I have just over 5K miles with no problems.

this ticking sound is louder when my car is cold and seems to decrease as it warms up.I've chalked it up as injector noise and just a characteristic of this motor.

#19 ·
No tick and build date 5/19.

Just a thought on "ticks". I had them on two of my 4.6s. Both cars had aftermarket exhaust and in both cases there was a small exhaust leak where the headers met the pipes (found at smog inspection time). Once corrected, so were the ticks. The headers on these new engines are unique and almost aftermarket looking. Has anyone thought about the possiblity of a crack in the exhaust causing the "tick"?

#20 ·
mine ticks. but very very quiet and u can only hear it at idle.
And like noted above it kinda sounds like a small exhaust tick or injector noise. Im not worried.

#21 ·
I have tick, or tapping, which is also felt in the shifter, so i voted yes. 2500 miles, build 5/20. Im going to do the oil change next week. So i will see what it sounds like after the oil change. Also took it into the dealer 8 weeks ago. The heard, and felt the same thing. The service manager said he would get back with me after Ford got back with him. I called 4 weeks ago, and he still didnt have an answer. Ronn

#22 ·
No ticking yet. Original oil, 3200 miles, build date may 21st (friday), some guy said a Ford engineer poured a grey grafite concoction into his engine and the ticking stopped. Something about valve lash / seating problems.

#23 ·
Up-Date i did my oil change put mobil1 5w-20 in and all is good so far. The build Date on my car is 7-10 humm i though the plant was shut down for 2 weeks in july . I was thinking my car would have been a job-2 car but i guest it one of the very last job 1 cars. :D

#26 ·
No tick, only 450 miles though. Build date 6/10. I have always been one to change it after the first 500 miles with a new engine, but not this time. My theory is they are adding something to the oil to help with break-in. I could be wrong, but the only thing I see in common with the ticking sound is early oil changes. I don't see anything in the owners manual that says to change it early, so I'm not changing my oil until the computer tells me to.

#32 ·
That 10k oil change interval is yet another load of crap from Ford. If you read the manual, it says to change the oil every 10k miles or when the message center says to change it, whichever comes first. Interestingly, my message center has consistently counted down on a 5000 mile interval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.