Had to use the tire mobility kit this morning... - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I find it hard to believe one would need to replace the tpms sensor when using a factory oem inflation system, guess I could be wrong but it seems ridiculous from an engineering point of view. Im going to likely test this theory over the weekend by letting some air out of the repaired tire to see if the sensor picks up the low level again. Im gonna be pissed if it doesnt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

From owners manual:
Quote:
Roadside assistance will cover:
a flat tire change with a good spare (except vehicles that have been
supplied with a tire inflation kit)

WARNING: The use of tire sealants may damage your tire
pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and should not be used.

However, if you must use a sealant, the TPMS sensor and valve stem
on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.

So that means if you have a flat, with no spare, you're out of luck with Ford roadside repair.

Then if you do get it to seal, YOU have to pay money to get Ford to replace the valve stem and TPMS sensor because you used the tools they told you to use.

I've had two sidewall punctures in the last 2 1/2 years and I would not be caught dead without a spare.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireKicker View Post
From owners manual:
However, if you must use a sealant, the TPMS sensor and valve stem
on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer.
I just read this in my owners manual as well. So this means the valve stem becomes inoperable and there is no way to pump air into the tire?? Sounds like the only option is to be towed to a Ford Dealer if one gets a flat tire.

Thing is, if a front tire goes out on these brembo-equipped mustangs with the oversize front brake calipers, your going to need a 19" specialized spare tire and it ain't gonna fit in the trunk compartment. I guess one could bungee-cord it to the roof.

Wonderful. I hope Im wrong about this.

PONY Member

The valve stem will still work fine to add air to the tire. The fix-a-flat goo gums up the sensor's air passages and electronics as it cures.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
PONY Member

This sounds crazy. So if you use the Ford supplied kit, you're going to need a: Tire, and TPMS plus the cost of cleanup and mounting and balancing? That could be what $200+

Instead of a simple plug job for ~20 bucks?

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
GT Member

Here's a better idea:

It might take four of you guys to hold down the engineer who came up with this whole idea...while he's down, I'll fill his mouth and throat with that tire inflation goo kit. Then Ford might rethink the whole idea and come up with a better solution like a spare tire and wheel in the trunk.

And hello, Ford...If that Brembo wheel and tire won't fit, then reshape that piece of sheetmetal for the trunk floor..not too hard to do.

And why did this tire pressure monitoring system become a law on late model cars in the lst place ? Because obese Americans are spending all their time on the couch playing video games or texting their friends. No time leftover in their lives to learn how to use a simple $2.00 tire pressure gauge.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
It might take four of you guys to hold down the engineer who came up with this whole idea...while he's down, I'll fill his mouth and throat with that tire inflation goo kit. Then Ford might rethink the whole idea and come up with a better solution like a spare tire and wheel in the trunk.

And hello, Ford...If that Brembo wheel and tire won't fit, then reshape that piece of sheetmetal for the trunk floor..not too hard to do.
Alert, alert alert! Thinking outside the box alert!

Please increase injestion of the Noma gas and return to conformance.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
Here's a better idea:

And why did this tire pressure monitoring system become a law on late model cars in the lst place ? Because obese Americans are spending all their time on the couch playing video games or texting their friends. No time leftover in their lives to learn how to use a simple $2.00 tire pressure gauge.
^^^^^^
+1
Rookie

Can we use the air compressor regularly to inflate our tires?

2011 Mustang GT, Yellow Blaze
401A Black w/Cashmere
3.73 + Brembo Brakes Package
Electronics Package
Security Package
Accessory Package 4 (Hood Scoop + Rear Pedestal Spoiler)
PONY Member

Don't see why not. Just make sure you don't use the goo hose, hehe.

Also, as for not being able to use a spare on Brembo cars, if you blow a front tire, you can always move a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back. Yes it sucks having to basically do two tire changes, but I think it sucks less than having to shell out a bunch of money for a damaged TPMS sensor on top of the mess the goo makes and having to buy a new tire.

I was just going to use the goo in case of a flat but now reading this I might get a full size spare to put back there after all...

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
GT Member

So what spare will work from a bone yard? Will the jack and spare all fit from a car a few years older into a 11?

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting thread indeed... I have a spare doughnut wheel in my trunk along with a jack,glad it's old school on this one,hate to have to deal with all that,especially the fact you MIGHT have to replace both the tire and the TPMS.

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Banned

I wouldn't mind if Ford had put the inflator kit in as the base option and then had the spare as an option to add to the car. But for Ford to not offer it as an option is stupid. Where is marketing???? They missed a good oportunity to increase the profitability of the vehicle and to set the Mustang apart from the Camaro.

I travel a bunch. The idea of getting a flat 40 miles from my hotel at 9:30 at night, in an area where my cell phone doesn't work and it being a puncture that I can't repair with the goo isn't a comfortable idea. There are some thing that duct tape won't fix.
Rookie

Ford absolutely should have included a spare as an option on our cars, but even so, you can still put your own spare in the trunk if you are so inclined, even with the brembo package.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2312230

2011 GT- 3.73, Brembos, Steeda CAI, Bama Custom Tune, Rear & Quarter Window Louvers, Black GT500 wheels, Steeda UCA & LCA, Shelby Panhard bar, Magnaflow Comp Cat-Back
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Interesting I stumble upon this thread just after ordering a spare wheel, tire, and jack for my soon to be 2012. Had no idea about the inflation kit damaging the TPMS. I would have preferred Ford offering the spare tire as an option instead of forcing me to gather all the parts on my own.

2012 Kona Blue V6 Premium MCA, stone interior, AT, electronics package, rear camera, reverse sensing & security, HID, 3.31

Ordered: 4/11/2011 | VIN: 5/26 | Window sticker: 6/7 | Build date: 6/13 | ETA: 1st-6/24 2nd-6/29 | Arrived at dealer: 6/24 | Took delivery: 6/27

Mods: BAMA 87P Tune, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, GT500 Diffuser, Shelby Kicker Sub, Painted Mirror Covers, Adjustable Headrests
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page