Had to use the tire mobility kit this morning... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Had to use the tire mobility kit this morning...

Heading out this morning at the crack of dawn start the car up and notice "low tire pressure' warning, my left rear is down. Having never used the mobility kit before, I got it out of the trunk briefly glanced at the instructions and had the tire sealed and reinflated in under 10 minutes. Pretty nifty gadget, I must say. Power cord and airtube (which are both nice and long) are stored by being neatly wrapped around the base unit, everything is clearly marked and easy to understand, there is an air pressure gauge built into the top of the unit so you can monitor tire pressure as it rises...I think its a great solution to fixing flat tires. Now to find a replacement canister, they seem to be as scarce as hens teeth.

Anyone else have to use theirs? Thoughts/opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think I read in a thread earlier this summer which the repair kit was the actual subject. Someone posted a FORD part number . I would assume from that you would need to order from your Ford dealers parts dept. Again not totally sure, but I think thats what I read.

You can search AFM to find that thread. If I locate it , I will post back here if that helps.

Let us know how the actual repair of the tire goes after using the the tire kit goooo.

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Also you may need to have your rim cleaned and TPMS replaced!

Me: 2011 Black GT 5.0/400A/MT/Brembos/Acc Pkg #4/Comfort Pkg/3.31 Born:3MAY2010
MODS: Steeda CAI, Bama Tuned SCT, Magnaflow X-Pipe, UPR C-Can, 8000K Hids, GrabberPony Shifter Ball, & goin' Blacker!!!

The Wife: 2008 Hemi Orange Challenger SRT8
MODS: MBRP Cat-Back, HHP Tuned Diablo, 85MM T-Body, MOPAR CAI & StrutBar, & BilletTech C-Can
De Oppresso Liber

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
Also you may need to have your rim cleaned and TPMS replaced!
I would be interested in hearing what the TPMS and canister replacement cost adds up to. This is the only part that doesn't sound so nifty.

2011 Sterling Gray GT Premium, 401a, Manual, Brembo and 3.73 rear.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member

It is my understanding that your tire should be replaced too as the balance will never be the same once you shot the goo in.

This is why I bought a plug kit soon after I took delivery. Any leak that can be fixed with the goo can also be fixed with a plug, it is just a matter of finding the leak. If done right, a plug can be permanent ... but really should be professionally replaced by a inner patch when you find time to visit a service station.

The tire can't be cleaned up and patched once you've used the goo.

Doug

My Stangs ...
1969 Calypso Coral 351W 4V 4-Spd 3.50 T-Lok Deluxe GT Hardtop (owned since '81)
2016 Guard 2.3L Ecoboost 6-Spd MT Base Fastback, 641, 66W, 13D, 47AX O-T-T Stripes (ord 2/11 ~ del 5/23 ~ mine 5/26)
past rides:
2011 Kona Blue 3.7L V6 6-Spd MT Prem Coupe, 203A MCA & HID's (0-129k mi)
2004 Comp Orange, 1998 Chrome Yellow & 1994 Bright Blue V6 5-Spd Coupes (0-126k, 131k & 89k mi)
1979 Fairmont Futura w/ '85 HO 5.0L, built AOD, 3.27 T-Lok + more (a Stang w/real back seat & trunk)
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
As long as you drive your car while the goo sets up, balance shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing the the TPMS can be removed and soaked in alcohol or some other solution to remove the set up goo.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member

The tire shops in my area want to know if Fix-A-Flat is in the tire prior to service, because of the combustion hazard.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
PONY Member

I bought a 12-volt air pump and tire plug kit from Pep Boys for about $50. Add a pair of good diagonal pliers and that's all you need to fix a puncture.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The tire shops in my area want to know if Fix-A-Flat is in the tire prior to service, because of the combustion hazard.

FixAFlat uses an aerosol propellant. Hopefully the Ford system avoids the combustion hazard.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

A few pics...I can see why some of you guys wouldn't like it. I hope it doesnt damage the tire sensor also, and I know it makes a mess of the wheel and inside of the tire (and on your hands and in the trunk the goo gets everywhere...the sealant hose has a cap on the end of it that I didnt close I was in a hurry). There are no vibration issues or out of balance issues at least what I can feel when driving pressure holding steady at 34 psi as of today.

Called the dealer today to ask about replacing the canister. In stock, $28.50 for a new can of sealant and apparently also a new hose that the sealant comes out of (there are 2 hoses on the unit: one for sealant, and one for air).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7575.JPG
Views:	5376
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	111803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7583.JPG
Views:	3528
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	111804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7586.JPG
Views:	1844
Size:	786.9 KB
ID:	111805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.JPG
Views:	2726
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	111806  
PONY Member

How do you all think kit would work in repairing a sidewall that got crunched between the rim and a pothole? Would it even work at all?

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
Apprentice

This is the first I've heard of this kit...do all 2011s have this?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
How do you all think kit would work in repairing a sidewall that got crunched between the rim and a pothole? Would it even work at all?
You need a new tire for that kind of damage..

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
PONY Member
S197 Member

When inquiring about new wheels at American Muscle, they recommended buying new TPMS because when removing the stock Mustang TPMS they easily broke because they were plastic. So removing to clean goop off and replace may not be an option. Any opinions?

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq
PONY Member

The Ford Owners Manual says to replace the TPM. The stem is rubber/brass and the body lightweight plastic (for tire balance)

I'm pretty sure Schrader is the OEM for Ford, 2011 isn't listed, but the '10's -should- use the same style sensor.

Schrader USA - TPMS OEM part locator

Amazon.com: Schrader AirAware 20315 TPMS Sensor Fits Ford Snap-In (1-pack): Automotive

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page