Roush AxleBack for 2011 Mustang 5.0 - Any Takers/Opinion - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2011gt View Post
Ive posted this several times, but has anyone yet to pair these axlebacks with an x-pipe? Im thinking about getting the BBK x-pipe from AM, its cheap and still retains cats. I'm leaving the cats on because i dont want a loud drone and I also dont have cash for a tune yet either
I have the Lethal Off Road X pipe.

My Roushes are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'm planning on putting them on tomorrow night if they show up, then I'll let you know how they are.

2011GTCS
'18 Kona Blue GT Premium | PP1 | Whipple Gen 5 Stage 1 | MMR OPGs and sprocket | UPR Catch Can | Barton hybrid 3 | Custom DSS chromoly DS (1400hp) | DSS half shafts (1400hp) | Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces | Steeda Jacking Rails | Shelby CS3 Wheels 9.5 & 11 x 20 | NT555 G2 275/35/20 front, 315/35/20 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Hearthrob H-Pipe the best move after Roush axlebacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
I ordered a set and will be installing this weekend. Then I will get the heartthrob cat-to-axles piping this coming spring. I will get some comparison clips stock and afterwards with 2 different cameras to give you guys a good idea of how the cameras do or don't do it justice.
Considering 3" Hearthrob H-Pipe to compliment Roush axlebacks for my next mod. Anybody have this combination yet? My question: what's the difference in torque and horsepower between h-pipes and x-pipes in an otherwise stock setup with Roush axlebacks? My mechanic thinks this motor will put out substantially more power with h-pipes ove x-pipes. Anyone have any experience with this issue? :?:

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
PONY Member

i thought h pipes made more torque and xpipes made more power, also thought x sounded better but im not sure???

2011 Mustang GT premium, Black on Black, 6 speed manual,Brembo pckg,HID's,3.73's, appearance package, Security,Comfort,Roush Axelback, Q Ball shifer, Bama Race Tuned, UMI Brackets and LCA's, K&N drop in filter and more to come...

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdogsbarkin View Post
Considering 3" Hearthrob H-Pipe to compliment Roush axlebacks for my next mod. Anybody have this combination yet? My question: what's the difference in torque and horsepower between h-pipes and x-pipes in an otherwise stock setup with Roush axlebacks? My mechanic thinks this motor will put out substantially more power with h-pipes ove x-pipes. Anyone have any experience with this issue? :?:
If you look through the videos that heartthrob has on their site they state that the H-pipe gives more power. I will be getting the one that is compatible with the stock exhaust, as taht is what the Roush axle back fits onto. I just hope that the power will not be limited still. The pipes will flow better, but the exhaust is still going to be 2.75" I know that might be better for TQ, though. Are the Roush supposed to give some power just by themselves?
Apprentice

Okay, I got my Roush axlebacks this evening, and got them on in about an hour to an hour and a half. The only reason it took so long was because it was dark and I had to use a flashlight to see the bolts and hangars. I still need to adjust the tips, but I managed to get them on and there are no exhaust leaks as far as I can tell. Now for the good part...

My wife was outside when I finished up. I started the car up and her first response was, "Is that 'wop-wop-wop' an exhaust leak?" At which point I blipped the throttle to about 4-5k. Her next response was, "Oh man...the neighbors are going to hate you!" That is how I know this exhaust is good.

Just to sum it up, the install was easy, the tips look great, and the sound is fantastic while idling and revving. I will have to wait for tomorrow to have impressions about the experience while driving. So far, so good though.

Current: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, 6mt, 401A (Cashmere), Security pkg., Brembo brake pkg., Comfort pkg., 3.73 gears, Electronics pkg.

Previous: 1967 Mustang Fastback, Aqua, 351W, C4 auto, pure unadulterated awesome
PONY Member
S197 Member

I put them on tonight, took around an hour using ramps. Pretty easy once you loosen up the mid-pipe. Even easier if you have someone to hold the mid-pipe while you try to align it.

Anyone who says these things are not loud must be going deaf, or is used to VERY loud vehicles. But holy crap do they sound good! Nothing online can give you a good idea what they sound like. If anyone is in my area shoot me a PM if you want to hear them in person!

And like Squid's wife pointed out, the neighbors will hate you. But you won't care, cause the sound makes up for it! Now I am off to the highway! I will post a stock vs Roush vid tonight.
Apprentice

Could one of you guys please tell me all of the tools I am going to need to install these roush axlebacks?

Mine come in tomorrow and I would like to make sure I have all of the tools I'm gonna need!

--Ordered May 13, 2010-- --Built June 9, 2010-- --Delivered July 14, 2010--
| 2011 Mustang GT | Black | 6-Speed Manual | Premium 401a Package | Brick Red Interior | Brembos | 3.73 Rear Axel | Glass Roof | Electronics Package | Spoiler
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernixon View Post
Could one of you guys please tell me all of the tools I am going to need to install these roush axlebacks?

Mine come in tomorrow and I would like to make sure I have all of the tools I'm gonna need!
3/8" ratchet, 15mm (deep socket), 13mm socket, maybe a 3" extension. I used Windex to lube the hangers and few door mats under the mufflers and mid-pipe joint to keep things from getting scratched. And ramps or jack stands.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GTCS View Post
I have the Lethal Off Road X pipe.

My Roushes are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'm planning on putting them on tomorrow night if they show up, then I'll let you know how they are.
First, a description of my exhaust system:

Lethal Off Road X pipe (no cats), stock over the axle pipes (resonators still present) to Flowmaster Hushpower axle backs.

My car is a convertible GT/CS, and has 3:31 gears. I'm not sure if either of those can affect the presence of the dreaded drone, but I included the info just in case anybody wants to compare.

Love the sound of the HPs, but the drone was too much for me.

Well, I put them on last night, and here are my impressions of the Roush vs. the Hushpower:

My very first thought on startup - disappointment. Then my next thought was, I guess they're OK as long as the drone goes away.

It's hard to describe, but the Roushes sound hollower than the HPs. Maybe thinner is the word to use.

the Roushes are deep sounding, but not as deep as the HPs.

the Roushes pop and snort when you rev it up and let off the gas, but again, hollower or thinner sounding than the HPs.

They are both loud, I think the Roushes are a tad louder, but it's really tough to tell.

There is still a slight drone at times, but the Roushes are 99.99% better than the HPs in regards to drone.

Appearance-wise, both the Roushes and the HPs are attractive on the car. Both are well built and both fit perfectly.

Personally, I like the black body of the HP over the polished stainless body of the Roush. With the HP, all you see is the tailpipes when you look at the back of the car. With the Roushes, you see both the tips and the muffler body.

So, here's a chart as to how I rate the Roush vs. the Hushpowers:

Fit, Finish: HP = 10 Roush = 10
Installation: HP = 10 Roush = 10
Looks: HP = 10 Roush = 9
Sound: HP = 10 Roush = 7
Drone(Higher = less drone): HP = 5 Roush = 9
Overall: HP = 45 Roush = 45

So for me, no clear winner, and no clear loser.

Hands down, the Hushpowers sound better at idle, at part throttle and at WOT. They also sound better when you back off of it.

But they drone badly under load at around 2K.

I would probably be very happy with the Roushes if I had gone to them straight from stock. But I didn't

I was going to sell my HPs, but I think I'm going to hang onto them now.

I'll run the Roushes this winter, but if they don't sound better after they wear in, I'll probably put the HPs back on this spring and use some dynamat in the trunk to try to eliminate or at least minimize the drone.

2011GTCS
'18 Kona Blue GT Premium | PP1 | Whipple Gen 5 Stage 1 | MMR OPGs and sprocket | UPR Catch Can | Barton hybrid 3 | Custom DSS chromoly DS (1400hp) | DSS half shafts (1400hp) | Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces | Steeda Jacking Rails | Shelby CS3 Wheels 9.5 & 11 x 20 | NT555 G2 275/35/20 front, 315/35/20 rear
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

First, a description of my exhaust system:

Lethal Off Road X pipe (no cats), stock over the axle pipes (resonators still present) to Flowmaster Hushpower axle backs.

My car is a convertible GT/CS, and has 3:31 gears. I'm not sure if either of those can affect the presence of the dreaded drone, but I included the info just in case anybody wants to compare.

Love the sound of the HPs, but the drone was too much for me.

Well, I put the Roushes on last night, and here are my impressions of the Roush vs. the Hushpower:

My very first thought on startup - disappointment. Then my next thought was, I guess they're OK as long as the drone goes away.

It's hard to describe, but the Roushes sound hollower than the HPs. Maybe thinner is the word to use.

The Roushes are deep sounding, but not as deep as the HPs.

The Roushes pop and snort when you rev it up and let off the gas, but again, hollower or thinner sounding than the HPs.

They are both loud, I think the Roushes are a tad louder, but it's really tough to tell.

There is still a slight drone at times, but the Roushes are 99.99% better than the HPs in regards to drone.

Appearance-wise, both the Roushes and the HPs are attractive on the car. Both are well built and both fit perfectly.

The body of both mufflers are about 5 in in diameter. However, the muffler body on the HP is about 3 or 4 inches longer than the muffler body on the Roush. I think this is what accounts for the deeper sound of the HP. It is also probably what accounts for the drone.

Personally, I like the black body of the HP over the polished stainless body of the Roush. With the HP, all you see is the tailpipes when you look at the back of the car. With the Roushes, you see both the tips and the muffler body.

So, here's a chart as to how I rate the Roush vs. the Hushpowers:

Fit, Finish: HP = 10 Roush = 10
Installation: HP = 10 Roush = 10
Looks: HP = 10 Roush = 9
Sound: HP = 10 Roush = 7
Drone(Higher = less drone): HP = 5 Roush = 9
Overall: HP = 45 Roush = 45

Hands down, the Hushpowers sound better at idle, at part throttle and at WOT. They also sound better when you back off of it.

I would probably be very happy with the Roushes if I had gone to them straight from stock. But I didn't...

I'll run the Roushes this winter, but if they don't sound better after they wear in, I'll probably put the HPs back on this spring and use some dynamat in the trunk to try to eliminate or at least minimize the drone.

2011GTCS
PONY Member
S197 Member

Going stock then to the Roush I am very happy. I didn't want a setup that would be much louder, but now I am used to it. It seems like the Roush at 2k is as loud as the stock around 4-5k. If I pass a semi while accelerating I can hear the thing snarling. Already got a thumbs up from a guy in a Mazdaspeed 3, lol. His window was open, so I just had to pass him at 4k. On a sidenote, those 3's look really nice. I would consider one if I didn't love Mustangs more.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GTCS View Post

I would probably be very happy with the Roushes if I had gone to them straight from stock. But I didn't...

Good review. I feel about the same about my FRPP Sports, which replaced Hushpowers. After a couple weeks though, I've gotten used to the hollower sound, and there's just no way I could go back to the drone of the HP's. Sounds like there's no reason for me to switch to the Roush's either, so it looks like I'll be sticking with the Sports.

Like you said, if I hadn't been exposed to the HP's, I wouldn't know what I'm missing. Don't get me wrong, the Sports are still nice sounding and exciting mufflers, as I'm sure the Roush's are too. Listening to the car is half the fun - driving with stock mufflers would be impossible now.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
Apprentice

WOW

WOW

WOW

I just installed my Roush Axlebacks this afternoon, took all but 20 minutes.

Holy **** is really all I can say...these things sound damn good, very deep, hollow, and clean with a slight rasp when you really get on it. There is absolutely NO drone whatsoever...just an orchestra of cylinders firing anytime you give it gas.

Video soundclips really give these no justice at all...you just gotta hear them in person. I've heard the Borla ATAK's in person now and I can say that the Borla mufflers sound thinner compared to these.

--Ordered May 13, 2010-- --Built June 9, 2010-- --Delivered July 14, 2010--
| 2011 Mustang GT | Black | 6-Speed Manual | Premium 401a Package | Brick Red Interior | Brembos | 3.73 Rear Axel | Glass Roof | Electronics Package | Spoiler
Apprentice

Where did you order your Roush axle backs from?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0: Performance White: Brembos: 3.73: 6sp: GT/CS front fascia: Boss 302 splitter: Roush billet grill: Steeda Ultralites: Tokiko D-spec : GT500 strut mounts: UMI adj.panbar: Steeda Billet LCA: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter: Airaid CAI: SCT Tuner w/Bama custom tune: Roush axle back:
Apprentice

can someone post a video or sound clip of their car with roush's AND an XPipe? like a before and after?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page