Possible to see visual evidence of car breaking in? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Possible to see visual evidence of car breaking in?

Everyone will probably think I'm nuts after reading this but I can't fight off the curiousity enough not to ask. So here it is, I'm 99.9% sure that the RPM to MPH relationship has changed in my car since I've had it/been driving it.

Day I picked it up (w/ 3 miles on it): 60 mph in 6th gear = 2,000 rpms

Yesterday (w/ 350 miles on it): 60 mph in 6th gear = 1,800 rpms

*it has been a gradual change, not 2000 then 1800 overnight or anything like that

So like I asked in the title of the thread, is it possible that this is evidence of the car breaking in or am I just nuts? My off-the-wall/not backed by anything concrete theory is that the rings are seating and the engine is becoming more effcient so it no longer needs 2,000 rpms to achieve 60 mph in 6th gear, it only needs 1,800 rpms to do it now. But like I said, this theory isn't backed by anything but my uneducated-in-engine-dynamics brain, so it could be 100% wrong, haha.

What does everyone think, good guess or just nuts?

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
PONY Member

I have no idea lol but I'd assume that an RPM is an RPM, like there no such thing as a more efficient pound.

Have you changed your seating? The lines are so close you could be looking at the gauge at a slightly different angle causing you to see a different marking because of your vantage point.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_GT_5spd View Post
Everyone will probably think I'm nuts after reading this but I can't fight off the curiousity enough not to ask. So here it is, I'm 99.9% sure that the RPM to MPH relationship has changed in my car since I've had it/been driving it.

Day I picked it up (w/ 3 miles on it): 60 mph in 6th gear = 2,000 rpms

Yesterday (w/ 350 miles on it): 60 mph in 6th gear = 1,800 rpms

*it has been a gradual change, not 2000 then 1800 overnight or anything like that

So like I asked in the title of the thread, is it possible that this is evidence of the car breaking in or am I just nuts? My off-the-wall/not backed by anything concrete theory is that the rings are seating and the engine is becoming more effcient so it no longer needs 2,000 rpms to achieve 60 mph in 6th gear, it only needs 1,800 rpms to do it now. But like I said, this theory isn't backed by anything but my uneducated-in-engine-dynamics brain, so it could be 100% wrong, haha.

What does everyone think, good guess or just nuts?
Not possible. The RPM Vs speed in gear is a fixed Mechanical relationship. It won't change unless your clutch or tires are slipping. The resolution of the Tach is not good enough to determine this. Plug in a scangauge or something that measures precise Speed and RPM's digitally and you'll see it remains the same regardless

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Not possible. The RPM Vs speed in gear is a fixed Mechanical relationship. It won't change unless your clutch or tires are slipping. The resolution of the Tach is not good enough to determine this. Plug in a scangauge or something that measures precise Speed and RPM's digitally and you'll see it remains the same regardless
x1000

- Steve

2011 Sterling Gray 5.0 Premium
Brembos | 3.73s | Steeda CAI | Steeda Tuned | FRPP Sports | Koni Yellows | Recaro | Ferodo | Steeda Sport Springs | Steeda HD Strut Mounts | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19

2005 Honda S2000 - New Formula Red - Stock
2009 Nissan 370Z Sport/Touring 6MT (sold)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
x1000
well holy shyt, look who it is! two of my old compatriots from the370z

2011 IS 5.0 6MT 3.55's
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
I have no idea lol but I'd assume that an RPM is an RPM, like there no such thing as a more efficient pound.

Have you changed your seating? The lines are so close you could be looking at the gauge at a slightly different angle causing you to see a different marking because of your vantage point.
I moved the seat back a little as I got used to the clutch but I think that would have created the illusion of higher rpm's rather than lower rpm's, who knows, I probably just read the tach wrong the first day I had it due to the sheer excitment and enjoyment, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Fair enough, I know the tires and clutch aren't slipping (which I think would cause an increase in rpm's anyways) so I must have just read the tach wrong initially.

Thanks for the quick (and gently put for such an off-the-wall idea) input guys .

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASchmidt6 View Post
well holy shyt, look who it is! two of my old compatriots from the370z
omg hai 2 u

- Steve

2011 Sterling Gray 5.0 Premium
Brembos | 3.73s | Steeda CAI | Steeda Tuned | FRPP Sports | Koni Yellows | Recaro | Ferodo | Steeda Sport Springs | Steeda HD Strut Mounts | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19

2005 Honda S2000 - New Formula Red - Stock
2009 Nissan 370Z Sport/Touring 6MT (sold)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
Rookie

Stop feeding your tires, I think they're growing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010
PONY Member

yeah i think it may just be you going a little nuts ever since the day i got mine, 6th gear at 60, even around 65 was around 1800 rpm

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 Auto Ingot Silver Metallic w/black stripes,
Rapid Spec 101A w/Tape Stripe delete
2.73 Gears
Borla ATAK AxleBacks

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmerrill504 View Post
yeah i think it may just be you going a little nuts ever since the day i got mine, 6th gear at 60, even around 65 was around 1800 rpm
This car is flipping amazing. I can do 75mph with 2200 rpm! Unreal!
I love my car. I've had some sweet rides in the past: BMW's, Audi's, corvettes. But nothing compares to the feeling I get when I drive my Mustang!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
-Sterling Grey, 3.73 Gears, 6 speed MT, 400A Spec, Accessory pkg 4, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Airaid CAI and Bama Custom Tunes. Wooo hoooo!!!!!
PONY Member

Check yee self into the nearest loony bin ASAP...:kooky:

2011 Race Red GT/CS, MT, 3.73...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page