Winter Storage: Hang Suspension or Not? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: how do you store your car for the winter?
car on jackstands, suspension hanging 9 14.29%
car on jackstands, suspension supported 4 6.35%
car on ground/floor, on wood/rubber or foam mats 42 66.67%
other 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I was told by a knowledgeable friend, to put an old carpet on the garage floor under the mustang, pump up the tires to almost 50 psi, add stabilizer and trickle charger. The carpet keeps moisture, that wicks up through the cement floor, preventing rust forming on unpainted metal. We have lonnnng winters here!

2011 GT black,6mt,3.73,Brembo,Vorschlag/Bilstein/Eibach, Scott Drake LCA brackets, adj. panhard bar, JHR shifter, bracket, and clutch line, Metco upper control arm & bracket, J&M Extreme lower control arms, RTR front spoiler, coming eventually Forgestar 18x11 wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_GT_5spd View Post
is that it's better for the suspension components to hang unpressurized for that extended time period than sit pressurized without any articulation for that time. Like I said above, that's what I perceive the reasoning to be, not sure how true it is, that's why asked/started the poll. Thanks for the input so far.
This is incorrect. If the damper is not moving there is no additional pressure. Sitting on the ground or hanging, doesn't matter, same internal pressure.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk stang View Post
I would start the car every 4-6 weeks and run it .
Bad idea.........

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
for storage SEAFOAM works great for fogging
Not needed..........

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV6 View Post
I have heard to never run a stored car. It just introduces more moisture into the system, never gets up to full temp when idling and modern lubricants do not need to be circulated.
You heard right.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Rookie

Stored my own car for a lot of years. All I ever did was stabil in the tank and a battery tender. Never had any problems.
Apprentice

Mine's on jack stands but that's because I'll be working on it over the winter. If you're not going to be working on it, just over inflate the tires, throw some fuel stabilizer in it and put it away. We're talking a few months here, not years...

And don't start it until the Spring. You must have seen the moisture that comes out of your exhaust when the car is warming up before. That will just sit there all winter and you'll be adding to it every time you start it. Your car will never warm up enough while idling to burn off that moisture.

2013 Sterling Grey GT - Recaros, Track Pack: AST4150 coilovers | Vorshlag camber plates | Steeda CAI | Roush AB | BBK X-Pipe
Apprentice
S197 Member

This it the 3rd Winter for my 2011 in storage in my attached garage. I have rubber mats under tires, a trickle charger running, and a good car cover on. Seems to work fine. I fill the tank before going into storage for December to mid-March.

Also have a 1977 MGB that I have stored for 7 Winters....for that I just fill the tank. Usually have to charge the battery each Spring but that's it.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
Kona Blue with Saddle interior
Purchased new April 13, 2011
6 spd manual Rapid Spec 400A
Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter, Borla S-type Axle-back exhaust, Eibach Pro-kit springs and camber bolts, Steeda panhard bar, Koni adjustable yellows struts and shocks,GT500 mounts, Steeda oil separator, Redline Tuning hood lifts, MRT adjustable tilt headrests, MMD tail light trim, 35% window tint, K&N air filter, MMD Classic louvers, CDC chin spoiler, TSW Nurburgring wheels.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Question ? What about cars that sit on dealer lots for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months up to a year or longer before they are sold. Do they jack them up ?

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Smile

Randy,They already have them JACKED UP, just look at the sticker price.LOL
OLD FART.
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
OLD FART.
Retail=jacked up=confused

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Rookie

Quote:
OLD FART.
At first I thought this was pretty funny and then I got to thinking...........
BOSS Member
S197 Member

In the last 45 years, Ive NEVER jacked a car up during storage. All I do is fill the tank, hook up the trickle charger, cover the car and relax. And Ive never had a problem. And at this time of year, I don't want to think adout it.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
In the last 45 years, Ive NEVER jacked a car up during storage. All I do is fill the tank, hook up the trickle charger, cover the car and relax. And Ive never had a problem. And at this time of year, I don't want to think adout it.

Nice ressurection lol.

I have always wondered about why the need to store anything. (I know, I know winter down here is like fall to some of you) I just have a feeling I'd be out there driving even in sub zero weather (I love the cold and am considering moving soon) I'm tired of 2 seasons (mild winter in the 30 to low 60's) and Summer (Swealtering heat that is unbearable 10 out of 12 months).

2011 Yellow Blaze GT Premium / Boss Intake Manifold/ BBK 85MM Throttle Body / 3.73 gears / BBK ceramic coated Long Tube headers / Catted X pipe / Roush Axle Backs / JLT CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page