"Change Oil Soon" at 5500 miles - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Mobile 1 on my cars, just because it is habit and we use it in the track cars and is readily available.

But.... will your engine last on dyno oil until 200,000 miles if you change it regularly? Probably yes.... I have yet to see an "end of 200,000 mile" test using both types, side-by-side, on the exact same engine type to show differences in wear. Unless there are extreme factors involved, it generally won't be your engine per-se that kills your car at the end-of-life... it will probaby be some type of high tech gadgetry that has gone "poof" that will make it financially unresonable to fix at that point in time compared to a "then" used car or new car purchase.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I got my first oil change notice at 5000 Miles even though I drive my car 'normally'. 20 mile/day commute and I don't track it.

2011 Mustang 5.0, 6spd manual, Sterling Gray Metallic, 401A spec,
Charcoal Black leather seats with cashmere stripe, Shaker 1000, Rear view camera, HID, Security package, Reflective Tints , Borla S-Type AB, GT500 Rear Diffuser. California Special Lower Valance with Boss 302 front splitter, Black GT500 replica wheels staggered set-up
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
Maybe it's the way I drive??? ha ha. I changed it at 900 and reset it, so it thinks I need to change it after 4600 miles. Sounds good to me, I was going to do it at 7000 mile intervals anyways if driving normal and 4-5000 if tracking was involved.

When is everyone else getting their first oil change "notice"?
There is a TSB 1-3-35 that addresses an issue with IOLM that causes premature oil change indications such as yours. And a recalibration of this IOLM is covered under the warranty. Seems some IOLM are erroneously stating that the oil life is used up after 5k miles.

This TSB 1-3-35 was issued 032911-have your dealer correct this issue.

2011 GT,Coupe,Race Red ,M6,3.73,Brembo,
HID,Security,401a,Comfort, FRPP Sports MGTLA,
Full size Brembo spare wheel/tire

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman91 View Post
There is a TSB 1-3-35 that addresses an issue with IOLM that causes premature oil change indications such as yours. And a recalibration of this IOLM is covered under the warranty. Seems some IOLM are erroneously stating that the oil life is used up after 5k miles.

This TSB 1-3-35 was issued 032911-have your dealer correct this issue.
seems to have been with only the first oil change. Given the abuse I give this thing, it seems to be right in line now.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchstavley View Post
mobil 1 5-20 full synthetic. why? full synthetic
I could be wrong but I don't think that mobile 1 meets Motorcraft/Ford's requirements.

there was a thread not too long ago about this and the Amsoil in particular and what were other oil alternatives that met Motorcraft's lofty requirements.

Whenever I get mine changed, I'm going to request the synthetic motorcraft and just plan on changing it every 7K miles.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I finally got there on mine and it did the same thing as everyone elses...i pushed it to 5,500 and it then read "oil change required"..lol I think i need the TSB. I hardly drive it currently and was planning on changing it this fall...probably at around 6,000. (80% of that is highway driving). We will see if it does it again at the next 5k interval and if it does, ill request the tsb be applied.

FWIW i use exactly what the owners manual calls for: Ford Motorcraft Synthetic blend and nothing else.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member

Yup, I need the TSB done. I have 1200 miles on my oil and only 75% remaining.... No way is that right....

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page