Flowmaster Hushpower vs FRPP Sport - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Flowmaster Hushpower vs FRPP Sport

I've been using Flowmaster Hushpower (HP) axle backs on my GT for around 3 months. Just replaced them with FRPP Sport axle backs. Here's how they compare (rest of my exhaust system is stock):

HP: Beautiful low frequency deep mellow sound - like a muscle car should sound. Great sound at startup. Not too loud during steady cruise or idle. BUT - bad DRONE (loud resonance in cabin) at around 1800 rpm under load. Driving the car becomes an exercise in avoiding the drone conditions, driving thru or around the drone region. So, it's a love/hate situation - great sound but annoying drone.

FRPP Sport: Not such a beautiful sound. Sounds more hollow, not the deep low frequency sound of the HP. Very quiet at idle and cruising, almost like stock. Gets quite loud when you step on it - volume is just right for me. Absolutely NO DRONE at any speed or rpm. If these had more low frequency content, they would be perfect.

My guess is that the FRPP Sports are designed as a high pass filter to suppress all bass below a certain frequency. That does a great job of eliminating the drone, but also eliminates the deep muscle car sound. I'll probably keep the Sports, since they make the car so much more driveable. Hopefully I'll learn to love the different sound. I can't afford to keep searching for the perfect exhaust, which I doubt exists. By the way, my wife feels exactly the same way about these 2 mufflers.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010
Apprentice

i currently have the hushpower axle-back on my car and i can't stand the drone. yesterday i ordered the borla s-type to replace the HP. i was considering the FRPP sport, but i just decided to pay the extra $30 and get the borla. i really hope i like the sound...

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnakeJake View Post
i currently have the hushpower axle-back on my car and i can't stand the drone. yesterday i ordered the borla s-type to replace the HP. i was considering the FRPP sport, but i just decided to pay the extra $30 and get the borla. i really hope i like the sound...
You definitely will like the lack of drone. Hopefully you'll also like the sound - certainly more liveable. Let us know your impressions.

Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010
Apprentice

I have the FRPP Sports and love them. Life without drone is awesome, and the sound is pretty sweet. Sure it's not "traditional" but it doesn't have to be that way to sound good. It really screams when you put the pedal down!

- Steve

2011 Sterling Gray 5.0 Premium
Brembos | 3.73s | Steeda CAI | Steeda Tuned | FRPP Sports | Koni Yellows | Recaro | Ferodo | Steeda Sport Springs | Steeda HD Strut Mounts | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19

2005 Honda S2000 - New Formula Red - Stock
2009 Nissan 370Z Sport/Touring 6MT (sold)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010
Apprentice

How much louder is the Sport system than stock when just cruising?
This is going to be my daily driver
I got a lot of grief for putting a low restriction system on my 911 and the drone is a real problem, to the point where I am considering going back to stock.

2007 997 Twin Turbo, GT Silver over black, Flashed, Switzer exhaust, Bilstein lowered, It's freaking Monster !
2010 RX350. good at what it's good for.
2011 GT Kona Blue, Premium leather blue stripe, Automatic, HID's, Glass roof, Nav,
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010
Apprentice

Stock cruising is only a little bit louder than stock, but not much at all. The Sport system really is only loud when you're accelerating. It is pretty darn quiet at cruise.

I had the same problem with my 370Z. I had a free-flowing exhaust and, while it sounded fantastic, the drone at cruising RPMs was a problem. On long trips with that car it'd make you want to rip your brains out.

- Steve

Brembos | 3.73s | Steeda CAI | Steeda Tuned | FRPP Sports | Koni Yellows | Recaro | Ferodo | Steeda Sport Springs | Steeda HD Strut Mounts | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/19

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hi, folks, this is actually my first post. I picked up my 2011 GT just over a week ago (with 5 miles on it!), and it hit 500 miles on the way to work this morning. I installed the Hushpower axle-back kit on the car last Thursday, and have put about 300 miles on it. So far, I have yet to make mine drone. I've been driving in town, on the highway, up hills (at low RPM), etc., and can't get any noticeable drone from the car- in fact, it's almost too quiet inside.
Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there, as this thread really surprised me!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56 View Post
Hi, folks, this is actually my first post. I picked up my 2011 GT just over a week ago (with 5 miles on it!), and it hit 500 miles on the way to work this morning. I installed the Hushpower axle-back kit on the car last Thursday, and have put about 300 miles on it. So far, I have yet to make mine drone. I've been driving in town, on the highway, up hills (at low RPM), etc., and can't get any noticeable drone from the car- in fact, it's almost too quiet inside.
Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there, as this thread really surprised me!
It's a miracle! You should be able to hear it around 1800 rpm under load, like climbing up hill in 5th or 6th gear. The more load, the louder the drone.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGuy View Post
How much louder is the Sport system than stock when just cruising?
This is going to be my daily driver
I got a lot of grief for putting a low restriction system on my 911 and the drone is a real problem, to the point where I am considering going back to stock.
As m4a1mustang says, the Sport is almost silent cruising on freeway. Road noise and/or radio will override any muffler sound. Same for gentle town driving. Give it some serious throttle, then you get some serious sound.

PONY Member

drone is a unfortunate by-product of most exhaust systems. but to get the sounds you want at idle and esp at wot you learn to live with it.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannapony View Post
It's a miracle! You should be able to hear it around 1800 rpm under load, like climbing up hill in 5th or 6th gear. The more load, the louder the drone.
Oh, okay, gotcha! Personally, having driven BMW M cars for the past bunch o' years, I can't see lugging uphill at that low RPM, especially with an engine with a 7000 RPM redline. Besides, the incredibly small amount of resonance I heard was so insubstantial it really didn't register. My last BMW ('99 M Coupe) droned really badly. Apparently, some here wouldn't have lasted five minutes in that car!
So far, with only hundreds of miles on my GT, I find the Hushpower setup to be almost too quiet, but then, I have a 40 Series Flow on my (X brand) pickup, so I'm ready to tone it down, some.
Apprentice

Sorry to drone on about my other car but I don't have my GT yet.

I found my 911 "sport" exhaust initially very quiet, almost too quiet, but it quickly became much louder over time and the drone is killing me now.

There are no baffles in this system, it relies on sound deadening through perforations in the tube walls. It is a dual 3 inch open exhaust which has an x crossover enclosed in a can packed with sound deadening material. You could roll a 3 inch ball from the tips right up to the exhaust turbines. It was amazingly quiet at first. I assume the sound damping material either burns away or becomes clogged and stops absorbing, but its just a guess.
Bob

2007 997 Twin Turbo, GT Silver over black, Flashed, Switzer exhaust, Bilstein lowered, It's freaking Monster !
2010 RX350. good at what it's good for.
2011 GT Kona Blue, Premium leather blue stripe, Automatic, HID's, Glass roof, Nav,
GT Member

I have the FRPP Sport and I am not a fan of the hollow sound like it is open in a steal drum, I am going to remove the resanators and see what kind of hell that causes, if it is to load I will put the stock back on plus the 30 extra pounds that comes with it and just be happy...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
I have the FRPP Sport and I am not a fan of the hollow sound like it is open in a steal drum, I am going to remove the resanators and see what kind of hell that causes, if it is to load I will put the stock back on plus the 30 extra pounds that comes with it and just be happy...
The resonators shouldn't do anything to change the tone of the exhaust, they'll only make it louder.

If you want a deeper tone then you need something like the Bassanis or Flowmasters, but then you might need to live with some drone.

- Steve

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGuy View Post
Sorry to drone on about my other car but I don't have my GT yet.

I found my 911 "sport" exhaust initially very quiet, almost too quiet, but it quickly became much louder over time and the drone is killing me now.

There are no baffles in this system, it relies on sound deadening through perforations in the tube walls. It is a dual 3 inch open exhaust which has an x crossover enclosed in a can packed with sound deadening material. You could roll a 3 inch ball from the tips right up to the exhaust turbines. It was amazingly quiet at first. I assume the sound damping material either burns away or becomes clogged and stops absorbing, but its just a guess.
Bob
You have glasspacks on the car, and since they were invented, back in the 1920's, glasspack mufflers have 'blown out'. It's simply the exhaust velocity and the chemical makeup of the exhaust gases that breaks down the packing material, so over time they gradually get louder. Mostly you don't notice until one day you realize your car is 'loud'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
The resonators shouldn't do anything to change the tone of the exhaust, they'll only make it louder.

If you want a deeper tone then you need something like the Bassanis or Flowmasters, but then you might need to live with some drone.
The Hushpower axle-back is the quieter between the Flowmaster and it for interior sound, while the Flows are also more aggressive-toned outside, as well. Apparently, the 3" cat-back systems are opposite- the Hushpower is the louder inside than the Flowmaster3".
Both three-inch systems are supposed to be pretty darned loud, too, but just the thing for a highly modified car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page