ViS Carbon Fiber hood quality? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question ViS Carbon Fiber hood quality?

So I have decided which hood I am going to invest in for my ride. I have looked at numerous types from all the SEMA stangs and those from this forum, and I decided on the hood featured on the 2011 Saleen 302. I think the lines and the look flow with the current generation and it has a sinister look while still being subtle.

However, there are 2 different companies that make this STYLE of hood. The original is from Saleen and is $1300 painted and installed from a certified Saleen Ford Dealer here in Tampa.

The other one is from ViS and can be purchased through multiple vendors. Price ranging from $473 to $1400 (which I find strange of the large variance). However, the hood is made in Carbon Fiber, which is good and bad

I want to maintain a semi factory look of my mustang, so if I decided to get the CF one I would have it fully painted.

The questions I have are:
  • How is the quality of the ViS hood?
  • Do you have to have hood pins for the CF hood?
  • Do you hear the engine more and is there a hood liner included?

I love the look and I'm a big fan of CF (all over my Duc) but I'm hesitate that it will come off as too ricey (even fully painted)

Which hood would you buy if you had the choice?

SALEEN

ViS

2011 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Sterling Grey with Red Leather
HID's, Brembos, all bells & whistles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The Saleen hood is awesome! My favorite for sure! I'd prefer going for this than getting that fake factory hood scoop Ford propose.
I'd like to know also if it's as good and as strong as the original factory hood.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

When are the new styles of hoods going to come out for the 2010+ There are soo few options right now. Saleen style is still my favorite but want to see more

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I like the Saleen better .. very slick.
As far as paint , I'd be inclined to leave the scoop CF and paint the rest to match the car ..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011
PONY Member

i have seen both on 2011 and you cant go wrong either way but the color of your car can make of break the VIS. i really like the look of the saleen and it looks good on any car. no matter which one you pick expect more NVH to enter the cabin.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What is NVH????

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFF_ace View Post
What is NVH????
Noise harshness vibration

2011 Mustang GT: Brembo, 401A, Hids, 3.73's. Flowmaster Hushpower AB, Roush Springs, CS/Boss bumpers

NASA-AZ
Driver/Captain: audistyleracing . com
Photographer: rolex24pics . com
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011
PONY Member

Buy the VIS it fits like a glove I get compliments everyday...while ur at it get the trunk as well I did! Check out my pics you won't regret it...hood pins? What hood pins? I've ran it just like that for 5 months with so much as an issue

2011 GT Prem 5.0, 3.73, MT, Paxton Novi SC, Air2Air Cooler, BBK Full Lenght hders, BBK high flow catd xpipe, Ram Force 9.5 Clutch, DDS alum driveshaft, Magnaflow Comp 3" , Snow Perf Water/Meth, 3D Carbon kit, Tokico D-Specs, Eibach Pro, Autometer gauges, SOS pillar, Steeda short shifter, Lakewood Suspn, Hellwig Swaybars, Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Grant wheel, General F 275/35, Mickey Thompson R ET ST 305/35/20, Forgestar 20x9 20x11, SSBC brake kit, Kicker audio, Pioneer HU, Viper5901, Kleinn horn
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

I just added an aftermarket hood. I would not buy a prepainted hood. Check the part finish. Body work IS required between pulling the part from the mold and getting to finish paint.

Here is the hood in primer for fitting. Some filler was required to fit the lines in the right front corner.

Here is the finished hood. I added a valance and wheels while I was at it.

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
PONY Member

ALEX1980: I checked out your pics and looks like you did an awsome job on your car! very cool but looking at the pic that shows the front of your hood something doesnt look right? is your hood unpainted carbon fiber? i cant tell if its reflection or what but it looks like tape or something on the hood ? can you post some picks of that hood im considering the same hood or maybe the cowl induction model i i too am questioning the quality, again thank and the car is looking great

Jim

2011GTKonaBlueMTPremium/Comfort/BMRTubularFrontLowerControlarms
TallHDballjoints/QA1bumpsteerkit/EibachFrontAdjSwaybar/EibachRearAdjSwaybar
AR1-7/8longTubes/Magnaflo Catback/EibachProStreetCoilovers/MMcamber/casterplates
UMI DbleAdjLCAs/UMIloweringbracket/UMI DbleAdjPanhard/GriggsRearTorqueTube(eliminatesUpperControlArm)
JLT CAI/JohnLund 93Tune/Baer6PistonCalipers/14"slottedCrossdrilled2piece rotors
BlackChromeFR500s Nitto295rear 275front
CarbonFiber interior Bartonshortthrow/bracket
PONY Member

the pic showing the front of the car
Attached Images

AR1-7/8longTubes/Magnaflo Catback/EibachProStreetCoilovers/MMcamber/casterplates
UMI DbleAdjLCAs/UMIloweringbracket/UMI DbleAdjPanhard/GriggsRearTorqueTube(eliminatesUpperControlArm)
PONY Member

this pic is on Alex1980's profile and its a beautiful car but enlarged the front of the hood looks like the carbon fiber is tape or maybe some weird reflection im not sure, check it out, what am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page