Long tube headers and factory warranty - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Long tube headers and factory warranty

I keep reading about long tube headers. About the only thing holding me back from getting some Kooks headers is worrying about voiding the factory warranty. Anyone with headers installed been to the dealer for service work with them installed ?

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010
Rookie

it will void your warranty. But the truth is they have to prove that the headers caused the problem just remember anything that touches the engine will void the warranty

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

exactly why im not doing longtubes yet. Esp. with the whole engine tick issue ect. My tick isnt bad at all but could get worst. only about 5,000 miles on mine. But its parked now for 6 months since i moved back up north for awhile.

2011 Black on Black 5.0 prem. Coupe. 3:73's, Brembo's and spoiler delete, FMS Springs, Stainless Works O/R X-pipe & Retro catback, (bought new)

2004 Black Cobra. Bassani catback & O/R X. (bought new)

1994 GT. Heads, cam, brakes, suspension ect ect. (bought used with 55,xxx)

1996 GT. Flowmaster catback, BBK O/R H. (bought used with 68,xxx)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
Site Sponsor

Actually, we've found the tick issue to be somewhat resolved and less sporadic with the installation of long tube headers. It could just be a coincidence, but immediately it almost went away. There's another post here about the same thing from someone else who experienced the same result/

As for warranty issues, they're going to give you trouble if there's a problem, but that's really all they can do. Unless the headers are causing an issue, they can't void your warranty. If you have a dash rattle, your headers aren't responsible. If your radio keeps blinking, it's not the headers. Fuel pump takes a crap, not the headers. That's the nice thing.

Plus they make 28RWHP, they're top quality USA T304 stainless steel with mandrel bents and 18-gauge thick to eliminate any cold-start issues. They've got 3/8" thick CNC laser-cut flanges so you won't ever hear them leak. They're the best exhaust components available. You'll never have a quality issue or a problem with them. That's why they're so popular. Just take a look at the 05-10 guys, they'll give you great reviews on Kooks.

Kooks Mustang Exhaust Kits at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

They're 100x more impressive when you see them in person.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
Apprentice

OK, now I'm confused again!! I thought all the different header sets were ~1200-1400?? Yours are $899.00 COMPLETE, and Ready to bolt on including Cats and Y-pipe etc.? Wil these Bolt Directly to the stock exhaust and give me the advertized 28 Rwhp???

****Opps, Edit, I see Apparantly I need the 500dollar Catted x-pipe, never mind, DAM I was ready to pull the trigger too****

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboba6 View Post
OK, now I'm confused again!! I thought all the different header sets were ~1200-1400?? Yours are $899.00 COMPLETE, and Ready to bolt on including Cats and Y-pipe etc.? Wil these Bolt Directly to the stock exhaust and give me the advertized 28 Rwhp???

****Opps, Edit, I see Apparantly I need the 500dollar Catted x-pipe, never mind, DAM I was ready to pull the trigger too****
You get 6% off using your AFM coupon code, which helps out. Same-day free shipping, no waiting also helps!

These (with the catted X-pipe) will bolt right to your factory over-the-axle pipes and you'll get anywhere between 25-30RWHP. We saw 28RWHP, but it will vary here and there so 25-30 is a better range..

Chris

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
Apprentice

Probably 25 right off the bat.... with a custom dyno tune, 35-50(depends on the tune) is more realistic. But a tune will definitely void your warranty.......
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
PONY Member

With all this concern over warranty it seems to me that going with the Ford Racing Supercharger should be a much more attractive option.

It leaves your warranty intact, it seems like it would be around 7,000 or so installed. But you are looking at a good 470whp+ or so from the look of it.

7k is a lot, but think about headers ($2300), tune/intake ($700)..

So that would be a good $3,000 for around 420whp or so. I'm not sure what sort of power the Ford Racing supercharger puts down for sure but if you are concerned about warranty the value does not seem that bad. I'm pretty sure the supercharger with high flow cats and a decent catback you could be making 500whp or so.

We just need someone to actually get one of the darn things to give feedback on it now
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
You get 6% off using your AFM coupon code, which helps out. Same-day free shipping, no waiting also helps!

These (with the catted X-pipe) will bolt right to your factory over-the-axle pipes and you'll get anywhere between 25-30RWHP. We saw 28RWHP, but it will vary here and there so 25-30 is a better range..

Chris
What is the AFM coupon code? I plan on ordering a good amount of parts next week and 6% would definitely help out. Sorry if this info has already been posted but I haven't seen it.
NBK
PONY Member

PM AMChrisRose. No coupon codes will be given out over the open forum.

NaturalBornKillers.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I have the kooks headers, kooks o/r x pipe, kooks catback and my tick is almost gone. When first installed i didnt hear the tick at all thats why i made the thread. After a few days it was back but less noticable and less consistent. Have you ever heard of headers doing something wrong to an engine? I havent and when you put them on you wont regret. Im not tryin to undercut AM but i got my headers and o/r x pipe at southerncarparts for $1136 shipped. Best deal ive seen and i searched for weeks before purchasing.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hqen2000 View Post
but think about headers ($2300), tune/intake ($700)..
UUUUhhh...I thought we already SAW that Headers are ~1300-1400, WHERE??? Did the Extra Grand come in??

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
PONY Member

Quote:
UUUUhhh...I thought we already SAW that Headers are ~1300-1400, WHERE??? Did the Extra Gra
nd come in??
installation
Its around 1k right?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hqen2000 View Post
installation
Its around 1k right?
Oh, well I do my Own installs, I also find it funny that folks nowadays are afraid to pick up a wrench...Yes, it IS an Involved job, but it's very straitforward.....and 9 times out of 10 when you do your Own work, you put a LOT more Care into it..

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
PONY Member

Quote:
Oh, well I do my Own installs, I also find it funny that folks nowadays are afraid to pick up a wrench...Yes, it IS an Involved job, but it's very straitforward.....and 9 times out of 10 when you do your Own work, you put a LOT more Care into it..
Most people seem to be not doing the installs themselves. It seems to take around 10-14 hours for a shop to do it. Not everyone has time to do that, nor does everyone have a location and the tools required, nor does everyone have someone to help them, or the knowledge to do it themselves.

It's easy to dogg people because your situation is different, but sometimes doing it yourself is just not an option for some people. It's not that they're afraid to 'pick up a wrench'.

But I do agree that typically when you do stuff yourself you do a better job than anyone else would have. But you have to consider the opportunity cost of doing it yourself, that's 10-14 hours (probably more if you don't know what you are doing) out of your life that you might not have, it's not a matter of $1000 vs. Free + A better job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page