Who uses a race tune all the time? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Who uses a race tune all the time?

I drove around with the Bama 91 performance tune for 2 days and then loaded the race tune...what a huge difference!!! I expected a rougher ride but the exact opposite was true. I got much quicker throttle response but it was smoother than the performance tune. At all speeds, instant acceleration was a throttle squeeze away! I found smooth gearshifts after stops and steady pace at slow speeds.
So, is it "ok" to leave the race tune on? How many of you are just keeping the race tune on all the time? Is it ok for the engine?
Thanks in advance!

2011 Sterling Gray Premium GT, Stone leather, Auto, 3.73, Comfort, Camera, Security, Polished Alum Wheels, Valentine-1, K & N drop in air filter, BAMA 91 Race Tune, Koni STR.T, Steeda Sport Springs, UMI PHB, GT 500 mounts. Delivered 10/10/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
Rookie

Good question. I have had mine for about a month and have had the Race tune that whole time. It sure makes a difference from stock. I hope it does not hurt anything as I would miss it.

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've been running the 93 octane race tune since Wednesday. I've probably driven 100 miles, both city and highway, and the car drives beautifully. In fact, I don't seem to have the "touchy throttle" that some folks have mentioned. I have a manual trans, so maybe that has something to do with it.

So far, I'm pleased with the race tune. From what I've read on this forum, it won't hurt anything to run the race tune for everyday driving.

Mike

2011 Mustang GT base, MT, 3.31 gears, E85 tuned, 47lb injectors, JBA stainless off-road h-pipe, GT500 axle-back, BMR springs, Roush UCA and billet LCA, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Strange 10-way struts/shocks, SPC aluminum adjustable panhard bar, BMR driveshaft loops, Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
i ran a race tune for over a year, there were zero issues and a big smile on face the whole

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
PONY Member

im running the Bama 91 race tune as well, have been since yesterday, its the best of the three I have, but I noticed that it has a pretty funky idle, especially when coming to a complete stop after driving a bit, the RPM's fluctuate between 7-800, and when either the heat or ac compressor kick on, it'll dip to 5 and almost stall the car, anyone else experience this? I havent driven the other tunes much (91 street/perf), but im curious if the issue is specific to the race, gonna run them both tomorrow and see if I experience the same thing.

2011 IS 5.0 6MT 3.55's
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASchmidt6 View Post
im running the Bama 91 race tune as well, have been since yesterday, its the best of the three I have, but I noticed that it has a pretty funky idle, especially when coming to a complete stop after driving a bit, the RPM's fluctuate between 7-800, and when either the heat or ac compressor kick on, it'll dip to 5 and almost stall the car, anyone else experience this? I havent driven the other tunes much (91 street/perf), but im curious if the issue is specific to the race, gonna run them both tomorrow and see if I experience the same thing.
I have the same exact thing but my brenspeed race tune did that too, it never stalls so I could care less. I've also been running race tunes for about 2k miles no issues so far. I'll have the car traded in around 40k miles anyways so Im not too worried about it
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
Apprentice

Started with the race tune and drove for 1000 miles. Tried the street tune and immediately missed the throttle response. I put the race tune back on and wont be taking it off unless I'm bringing it to the dealer.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

can't comment from personal experience on these tunes, but even the race tunes (at least from bama and brenspeed) being relatively agressive aren't really aggressive per se. from what i've seen (and gathered from talking to them) the a/f tends to be around 12.5:1 which compared to what a lot of people tune for is nowhere near dangerous. the canned tunes tend to be conservative enough to not be a liability, but a big step up from stock. i don't know the ignition values or specific cam angles used on any of these tunes, but i'm sure they keep the ignition well below the knock threshold. as far as the cam angles, with stock cams there wouldn't be reliability issues just based on them, but cam angles can make the idle a little funny if not retarded enough in the low columns.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
I have the same exact thing but my brenspeed race tune did that too, it never stalls so I could care less. I've also been running race tunes for about 2k miles no issues so far. I'll have the car traded in around 40k miles anyways so Im not too worried about it
My car's idle fluctuates like that with it being stock, lol, but never stalls. Ordering Bama race tune soon!
PONY Member

I have been running the Bama Race tune for two weeks. A little more throttle response and no drive-ability issues. Dyno tested the second day and the A/F was flat around 12.5. Only 9 hp, 5 ft-lb gain though.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It certainly didn't feel like the engine was under undue stress but them I am no mechanic! Now the car runs like it should IMHO!
Anyone try the street tune or go straight to the Performance then Race tunes like me?

2011 Sterling Gray Premium GT, Stone leather, Auto, 3.73, Comfort, Camera, Security, Polished Alum Wheels, Valentine-1, K & N drop in air filter, BAMA 91 Race Tune, Koni STR.T, Steeda Sport Springs, UMI PHB, GT 500 mounts. Delivered 10/10/10
PONY Member

Thumbs up My Torq Tune is AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
I have been running the Bama Race tune for two weeks. A little more throttle response and no drive-ability issues. Dyno tested the second day and the A/F was flat around 12.5. Only 9 hp, 5 ft-lb gain though.
That's is NOT (9 rwhp & 5 rwtq) too impressive at all like from their "Race" tune you said! Check this out...I have tried nearly ALL the custom tunes for the 2011 'Stang 5.0 currrently on the market and so far Torq tuning has been the VERY best! AM 'Bama is a GREAT tune as well however the Torq tune is absolutely AWESOME! Check out the link below. I have been running their tune now for about two weeks and I VERY impressed! What I like best about the Torq tune is the car runs and pulls hard down low and mid-range where most of us spend the majority of our time driving in the low to mid-range and still pulls VERY hard to 7,500 RPMS! I absolutely love shifting above 7,000 RPM's and this tune is PERFECT for my style of hard aggressive in-your-face driving and the occasional "normal" crusing style of driving that I sometimes drive! I LOVE this tune! Paul Meister (owner / tuner) has a lot of experience with custom dyno tuning. Check out their Web site @ Gettorq.com.

Just a couple weeks ago Ninjadriver gained 25 rwhp and 20 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with a 93 octane performance tune by Torq when his 2011 Mustang 5.0 was completely stock.

To the OP...a "Race" tune will NOT have any adverse effect on your motor/drivetrain, etc. only add more smiles per mile!

BTW I am NOT affiliated in any way with Torq I am ONLY a VERY satisfied customer! Take care and good luck to you! Jack

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tune-torq.html

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Vortech 20th Anniversary Edition black finish V-3 Si-Trim S/C with air-to-air charge cooler, 6-Spd Manual, 3.73's, Brembo's, HID's, Custom Dyno Tune by Monty Johnson of JMS Chip & Performance, Kooks 1 ¾” Custom Long Tube Headers with Kooks High-Flow Race Cats & Kooks Unique X-Pipe, Magnaflow 3" Street Series Cat-Back with 5 X 8 X 14in. Dual Mufflers, Dual 4" Polished Tips, Barton shifter, Dynotech aluminum one-piece 3.5” driveshaft, Steeda Billet Rear LCA's.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOYTOY View Post
That's is NOT (9 rwhp & 5 rwtq) too impressive at all like from their "Race" tune you said! Check this out...I have tried nearly ALL the custom tunes for the 2011 'Stang 5.0 currrently on the market and so far Torq tuning has been the VERY best! AM 'Bama is a GREAT tune as well however the Torq tune is absolutely AWESOME! Check out the link below. I have been running their tune now for about two weeks and I VERY impressed! What I like best about the Torq tune is the car runs and pulls hard down low and mid-range where most of us spend the majority of our time driving in the low to mid-range and still pulls VERY hard to 7,500 RPMS! I absolutely love shifting above 7,000 RPM's and this tune is PERFECT for my style of hard aggressive in-your-face driving and the occasional "normal" crusing style of driving that I sometimes drive! I LOVE this tune! Paul Meister (owner / tuner) has a lot of experience with custom dyno tuning. Check out their Web site @ Gettorq.com.

Just a couple weeks ago Ninjadriver gained 25 rwhp and 20 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with a 93 octane performance tune by Torq when his 2011 Mustang 5.0 was completely stock.

To the OP...a "Race" tune will NOT have any adverse effect on your motor/drivetrain, etc. only add more smiles per mile!

BTW I am NOT affiliated in any way with Torq I am ONLY a VERY satisfied customer! Take care and good luck to you! Jack

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tune-torq.html
You have almost every tune and rave about everyone for about a month. You are missing the best. Get a VMP and then you can say who is the best. His tunes will blow your other ones away. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
PONY Member

I don't go by feel. The numbers are the proof.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
PONY Member

Thumbs up My TORQ "Race" Tune ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
I don't go by feel. The numbers are the proof.
Agreed...what is there not to like about gaining 25 rwhp and 20 rwtq with just a custom tune using a Mustang Dyno on a stock 2011 Mustang GT 5.0? Am I missing something here? I am not talking about "peak" gains which was over 40 rwhp I am referring to the gains across the curve which IMHO is VERY impressive.

Hey 08DarkCandyGT, even on Justin's Web site (VMP) he advertises between 10-20 rwhp gain across the curve with his custom 93 octane tune. I truly believe a great custom tune is completely subjective since there are so many variables that contribute and influence the hp and tq numbers. I am completely satisfied with my Torq tune as I assume you are with Justin's tune which is great and I am VERY happy for you! With my current mod's (see my signature) the Torq tune compliments my recent mod's perfectly. I am VERY satisfied! Good luck to you and take care. Jack

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Vortech 20th Anniversary Edition black finish V-3 Si-Trim S/C with air-to-air charge cooler, 6-Spd Manual, 3.73's, Brembo's, HID's, Custom Dyno Tune by Monty Johnson of JMS Chip & Performance, Kooks 1 ¾” Custom Long Tube Headers with Kooks High-Flow Race Cats & Kooks Unique X-Pipe, Magnaflow 3" Street Series Cat-Back with 5 X 8 X 14in. Dual Mufflers, Dual 4" Polished Tips, Barton shifter, Dynotech aluminum one-piece 3.5” driveshaft, Steeda Billet Rear LCA's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page