Mustang 5.0 exhaust cutout? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang 5.0 exhaust cutout?

I have been in the market for a new exhaust system for a while but have come to realize that buying an electronic exhaust cutout may be a better choice. The stock exhaust as you may know is already quite free flowing, but is also pretty quiet as well. And well you see, I just cant have that because ever since I've dreamed of having a v8 stang, I've always pictured having a beast of a car that causes everyones head to turn as I drive down the street. This isn't exactly the case with the new 5.0. Ive had enough of people telling me that some riced out car can compete with me because it sounds loud. Last week some idiot told me he thinks his friend's mustang (which is a v6) could beat mine because it sounds loud and has a knock off exhaust that sounds like a fart cannon. Anyways, I figure an exhaust cutout could fix this annoyance. Dont get me wrong. I am not buying a new exhaust just to show off. I just think that the louder the better...in most cases. However, would an exhaust cutout's affect to the back pressure be bad and would the exhaust note be horrible? And please provide any soundclips you may have. I am trying to do as much research as possible before I spend what little money I have so thanks for your input.

I hope my wife never sees the price of these mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

It would be just like a muffler delete. Keep the cats on the car and it wont sound horrendous. But don't expect a rich, well tuned tone. It'll just be loud.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well the reason i am doing the cutout is so that I can switch the exhaust from muffler delete to with mufflers. That way I can avoid a ticket. And is an electric exhuast cutout bolt on..besides the wiring?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Well, you have to cut a hole in the current piping then weld it on. A good brand is DMH.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I need to have everything bolt on though because of the warranty I bought. Would I be able to buy an after market clamp on mid pipe and weld the cut out on to it? This way, if I need any work done, I could easily replace the factory mid pipe.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Kingcrabb
I also plan on doing dual oval cutouts with oval piping exiting in front of the rear tire.
Im sure it will sound stupid loud and prolly wont sound "good".

2011 5.0 400a Brembo.
12.7 @ 113 Stock
12.5 @ 116 Bama Tune
2001 Focus Built Boosted to the moon.
15.6 @ 86 Stock
11.8 @ 117....not stock....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Sully, yes you could do that, provided there was enough room in the aftermarket X-pipe's piping. I don't see why that wouldn't work. I've never seen under a '11 Stang, so I couldn't tell you if there is enough room on either side of the midpipe.

RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I guess the plan for now will be to buy an aftermarket x-pipe and have the electronic exhaust cutout installed providing that it will fit.
And Kingcrabb...please let me know how the dual oval cutouts work. That sounds like an interesting idea. I guess I'll have to talk to a shop to see what they can do. So I guess your essentially having a side exhaust as well for the cutout to switch over to?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Kingcrabb
Yes. i plan to run side exit from the cutouts. I had it done on my Turbo Focus and loved it. I ran the stock exhaust with a cutout in the downpipe, huge sleeper.

2011 5.0 400a Brembo.
12.7 @ 113 Stock
12.5 @ 116 Bama Tune
2001 Focus Built Boosted to the moon.
15.6 @ 86 Stock
11.8 @ 117....not stock....
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sounds like all this cutting out is a hassle to me. Get a new exhaust. Maybe some flowmasters and get the sound you really want.

Or just say "F" it and race the riced out v6 and beat him. That will shut his mouth and save you money.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
-Sterling Grey, 3.73 Gears, 6 speed MT, 400A Spec, Accessory pkg 4, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Airaid CAI and Bama Custom Tunes. Wooo hoooo!!!!!
Apprentice

You might want to try a company called Race Ready Performance.

https://racereadyperformance.com/Home_Page.html

Cheers!
Site Sponsor

^

Like Sales/Marketing manager David Borla?

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page