Smart Tune Choices - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Smart Tune Choices

Hi everyone,
I am a new GT Premium 'vert owner, and I absolutely -love- this car, American designed, built and made, hell of a ride!

I have been reading the bejeezus out of these forums, and have figured that the smartest thing I can do with my dollars is get a Tune from either Bama or Brenspeed, it seems both of these companies are real professionals and will treat me and my car well.

My question is what do you all recommend as far as tune choices go? It seems that with Bama you choose a race, performance or street tune and an octane level for each, While Brenspeed you choose race, performance or street and get three tunes for three different octane levels.

I live in southern california, and while I love tearing up the track (both road and drag), reliability and fuel economy are certainly concerns of mine.

Any help from you all would be most welcome.
-RotoTaste

2011 GT Premium Vert
Grabber Blue
Go Navy!

2011 GT Premium Convertible
Grabber Blue/Charcoal Black
MT/Brembo Package
GO NAVY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010
PONY Member

Get your race tune with the highest grade octane and have fun with it.Then do your other tunes with a lower grade.Once you do the race tune though....you wont ever look back. Enjoy!

--Dan--
SOLD>> 07 GT 5 speed,20x9 Razors,FRPP springs,Kook stainless LTs and catted H package,Mac Boomtubes,C & L cai w/sctx3 and 93 race tune from BAMA,FRPP 4.10's

The New>> 2011 5.0 6spd,black on black premium ,3.73 option, Roush axelbacks,C&L cai,SCT SF3 w/93 race tune from Bama.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
PONY Member

lemme suggest you wait a lil while so they can work the idle bugs out of the tunes, it seems to be an issue with quite a few of us running race tunes, probably wont take more than a week for them to fix the issue and reissue tunes to everyone, but i'd wait until it gets resolved.

2011 IS 5.0 6MT 3.55's

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have both BlowByRacing and Brenspeed 91 oct tunes and love both.

the BBR tune is perfect with good low end mid and top end performance.The Brenspeed tune is more aggressive with a fairly touchy throttle but lots of fun and flat out rips

I have over 8K troublefree miles and have nothing but good things to say about both vendors.Customer service was great and turn around time for both tunes was 24 hours.These are the only tunes I have experience with but I've heard good things about the others you are considering.

Dont forget VMP they are good too

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

My VMP tune is very good and have had 0 problems with it. Drop Justin the tuner a e mail and he will answer all questions.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010

We will set up tune tune for any octane levels/performance levels you want. We will also setup the tune to your liking. Its a completely custom tune and makes a night and day difference in these cars. You should get better fuel economy with the tune, but there is one problem.... You have to learn how to keep your foot out of it Please dont hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions. 574.594.9559

Thanks,
Chandler
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASchmidt6 View Post
lemme suggest you wait a lil while so they can work the idle bugs out of the tunes, it seems to be an issue with quite a few of us running race tunes, probably wont take more than a week for them to fix the issue and reissue tunes to everyone, but i'd wait until it gets resolved.
Idle issues have been resolved. It intrigued us once we realized that we were getting calls from people with tunes from multiple companies all doing the same thing.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2314377

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-Taste View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a new GT Premium 'vert owner, and I absolutely -love- this car, American designed, built and made, hell of a ride!

I have been reading the bejeezus out of these forums, and have figured that the smartest thing I can do with my dollars is get a Tune from either Bama or Brenspeed, it seems both of these companies are real professionals and will treat me and my car well.

My question is what do you all recommend as far as tune choices go? It seems that with Bama you choose a race, performance or street tune and an octane level for each, While Brenspeed you choose race, performance or street and get three tunes for three different octane levels.

I live in southern california, and while I love tearing up the track (both road and drag), reliability and fuel economy are certainly concerns of mine.

Any help from you all would be most welcome.
-RotoTaste

2011 GT Premium Vert
Grabber Blue
Go Navy!

We give you the option to choose 87-93 on the Street and Performance tunes. They're emissions legal and you can choose to run them with 87, 89, 91 or 93. The Race tune we allow you to choose 91 or 93 octane. The nice thing is that you get Free Tune for Life no matter where you purchase your aftermarket parts, so you'll be able to get 100 different options if you wanted to! We will tweak anything that you want to your liking, so that the tune is custom for your driving style and habits, and how you want throttle response, shifting, etc. to be.

Give one of the Bama custom tuning experts a call. You can call and actually speak directly to one of the tuners that will be working on your car. They're here Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST and their direct line is 888.226.9764 so that you don't have to wait!

Good luck!

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I have brenspeed 93 and vmp 93 tune. The brenspeed tune is good when going wot but is to touchy when you try and take off it wants to buck and bronco if you know what i mean. The vmp tune is smooth as butter and has the power when you want it. I would go with vmp cause justin will take the time to talk to you and answer any question you have.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdarrow1483 View Post
I have brenspeed 93 and vmp 93 tune. The brenspeed tune is good when going wot but is to touchy when you try and take off it wants to buck and bronco if you know what i mean. The vmp tune is smooth as butter and has the power when you want it. I would go with vmp cause justin will take the time to talk to you and answer any question you have.
You are right about the VMP tune being very smooth. You do not hear any of the complaints you hear from the other tuners tunes.

PONY Member

Anyone have some more info on VMP?

Where are they based & any other info website customer testimonials?

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knk11stang View Post
Anyone have some more info on VMP?

Where are they based & any other info website customer testimonials?
Has a great reputation. Very honest. You deal with him directly. Check out his site and drop him an e mail.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it

2011 GT Premium Convertible
Grabber Blue/Charcoal Black
MT/Brembo Package
GO NAVY!
Apprentice

At this point in the maturity level of tunes from what I have seen, FRPP would be my pick for the least amount of potential issues. While understandable...there are issues. The enitre 'user community' right now is acting as a Proving Ground for 'sorting things' out, at their potential expense. With more time, problems, failures, rolling the bones, things will be flushed out and characterized better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-Taste View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I went with the AM/BAMA 91 tunes. I picked them over Brenspeed because I wanted 3 different tunes for 91 octane not the same tune for 3 octane levels! I never use anything other than 91 octane in all my vehicles. Additionally, the AM folks were very willing to answer my super noob paranoid questions!
I first tried the Performance tune. While a huge difference from the stock tune, I didnt like the somewhat "jerky" shifting. I then tried the race tune and I love it! Smooth for normal driving in traffic (which was a pleasant surprise) and just screams when prodded
IMHO the auto GT completely wakes up with a tune!

2011 Sterling Gray Premium GT, Stone leather, Auto, 3.73, Comfort, Camera, Security, Polished Alum Wheels, Valentine-1, K & N drop in air filter, BAMA 91 Race Tune, Koni STR.T, Steeda Sport Springs, UMI PHB, GT 500 mounts. Delivered 10/10/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page