Anybody running spacers on their Brembo wheels? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Anybody running spacers on their Brembo wheels?

That's it. Anybody running wheel spacers to bring their Brembo wheels out a bit?

For the record, if you add a bolt-on 15mm spacer from H&R to the Brembo 19x9s, you've spaced your Brembos almost exactly as far out (within 1mm) as the RTR wheels.

RTR = 19x9.5 ET33mm

Brembo = 19x9 ET42mm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

Old thread bump, i'd like to know as well!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
curious too... Adam from Joe Heck Racing has billet spacers they're working on that I'm considering

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011
Rookie

Yep I've been looking for some information on this since I bought the car.....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

hmm. Very interesting. I think in inches so that's a shade over 1/2". Wondering if new longer wheel studs would be needed. Like to see some before and after pictures.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011
PONY Member

Just swapped my 19 inch optional nickle painted wheels for the Brembos... the Brembo wheels are offset more than the optional wheels to clear the larger calipers, which looks to be maybe an inch on either side. Saw the actual offset, but don't recall where it was... they ARE noticeably further out than the standard wheels... IMO adding a spacer would put the wheels outside the fender profile...

Jim

Murphy was an optimist.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling Gray, 401A, 6MT, 3.73, 19" Brembo, Nav, Security, HID, Rear video, Boss 302 mufflers, Raxiom smoked taillights
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
Just swapped my 19 inch optional nickle painted wheels for the Brembos... the Brembo wheels are offset more than the optional wheels to clear the larger calipers, which looks to be maybe an inch on either side. Saw the actual offset, but don't recall where it was... they ARE noticeably further out than the standard wheels... IMO adding a spacer would put the wheels outside the fender profile...

I have a 2012 with the Brembo package and I can say for a fact that a 1" spacer would still allow it all to stay inside the fenders in the rear.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Apprentice

I would love to have my Brembo wheels sit a little futher out. Anyone have spacer suggestions? I would not want to end up with studs that's are too short.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
Apprentice

I have always wanted to know this. People say the studs up front have to be modified a bit for the spacers to fit with the wheels.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free
Apprentice
S197 Member

Interested in this is well...bump.

2012 5.0 M6, Brembos, 3.73s, Lethal OR-H, K&N, AED tune
Apprentice

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is a bad idea for the obvious risk with having your lugs biting on fewer threads...and the presumably fatigue on the lugs themselves....but most importantly, this can put a great deal of stress on the wheel bearings and greatly shorten their lives...meanwhile adding nothing to handling performance.

Do I have that wrong? Is the Mustang special in some way where these concerns do not apply?

That aside, it does look great with the wheels spaced out a bit wider.
Apprentice

Garage
Anytime you use spacers to push the wheel out is never a good idea from a performance idea. Having a wheel with the correct offset is the best. I think the concern comes with only having 0.050" gap between the wheel and the calipers. In a perfect world, all is good but add in rocks, salt, etc that could get between them could damage/scratch the wheel or calipers.

2012 Mustang GT Brembo package w/3.55 rear end
+Shifter/Bracket from American Muscle
+Corbeau CR1 seats
+Carbotech 1521 (Street) / XP20 (Race) Motul RBF600
+Koni Adj yellow F/R, Sam Strano Adj Sway F/R, SR Lowering springs 1.5", Maximum Motorsport Adj Panhard, GT500 strut mounts
+X Pipe , GT500 Mufflers , BAMA Tune
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgtx View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is a bad idea for the obvious risk with having your lugs biting on fewer threads...and the presumably fatigue on the lugs themselves....but most importantly, this can put a great deal of stress on the wheel bearings and greatly shorten their lives...meanwhile adding nothing to handling performance.

Do I have that wrong? Is the Mustang special in some way where these concerns do not apply?

That aside, it does look great with the wheels spaced out a bit wider.
It can be done correctly or it can be done with the wrong parts, leading to problems. As long as the studs have sufficient length for the lug nuts to be threaded on a safe distance, it isn't inherently unsafe. Use some common sense and attention to detail, high quality spacers, clean and even mounting surfaces, regular checks to make sure the lug nuts haven't come loose, etc. The wheel studs should not be in shear whether you use spacers or not.

If you don't have enough threads for the lug nuts, then longer wheel studs can be installed. When going to the thicker spacers, they make some that use the stock studs to hold the spacer on and then another set of studs to hold the wheel itself. Incorrect total effective offset can put more stress on wheel bearings and negatively effect scrub angles, but under an inch isn't going to be that noticeable. Even the factory sells sets with slightly different specs, offsets, etc.

So yes, it does take more attention than bolting a set of OEM wheels on by themselves, but it isn't rocket science or certain doom either.

GT Member

Lots of speculation here, and some wrong.

I just installed 1" spacers on my 19" brushed aluminum rims (pictures in the PANHARD BAR INSTALLATION thread). When I hang a weighted string from the fenders, the tires are just barely touching the string. So, if the Brembos have a more aggressive offset, that WILL result in the tires sticking out more than the fenders if you use 1" spacers. If you like that, then good.

As for safety, only the front studs needed shortened. Further, only the "lead in" part of the stud needed shortened a little. There were no threads taken off, so the safety aspect from that perspective is a non-issue.

You can argue two things from safety perspectives: The spacer lug bolts could loosen, or the lugs themselves could fail. IMO, both are non-issues. If you tighten the spacer lugs to the specified torque, they present no more risk of loosening than the original wheel studs (plus, I am using high strength threadlock on them just in case). And, the spacer lugs are supposed to be of the same or higher strength than the OEM lugs. I cannot confirm that, obviously, but choose not to be that paranoid.

My $.02.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Lots of speculation here, and some wrong.

I just installed 1" spacers on my 19" brushed aluminum rims (pictures in the PANHARD BAR INSTALLATION thread). When I hang a weighted string from the fenders, the tires are just barely touching the string. So, if the Brembos have a more aggressive offset, that WILL result in the tires sticking out more than the fenders if you use 1" spacers. If you like that, then good.

As for safety, only the front studs needed shortened. Further, only the "lead in" part of the stud needed shortened a little. There were no threads taken off, so the safety aspect from that perspective is a non-issue.

You can argue two things from safety perspectives: The spacer lug bolts could loosen, or the lugs themselves could fail. IMO, both are non-issues. If you tighten the spacer lugs to the specified torque, they present no more risk of loosening than the original wheel studs (plus, I am using high strength threadlock on them just in case). And, the spacer lugs are supposed to be of the same or higher strength than the OEM lugs. I cannot confirm that, obviously, but choose not to be that paranoid.

My $.02.
Are you using hub centric spacers? I see both hub centric and lug centric spacers listed on AM's website. They should be hub centric for late model Mustangs (haven't research when Ford switched to hub centric wheels). A lot of aftermarket wheels for 2011+ Mustangs probably aren't hub centric themselves. Switching to a lug centric setup isn't the end of the world, but thought I would mention it.

Also, there are notes on the product pages and in the reviews that stock wheels may not work. Looks like some people have made them work by cutting the lead in part of each factory stud off. That would not impact mounting strength, just make it a little hard to start the lug nuts if you every took off the spacers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page