Changes in tone of exhaust while stopped. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Changes in tone of exhaust while stopped.

Guys,
First off, this is an awesome site. Lots of questions and answers being passed around. This is great. Glad to be a part of this.
My question is!
I have the Roush exhaust on my 2011 5.0. And while stopped at lights, etc, you can actually hear the exhaust tone change pitch and tone. Sounds like the cam timing is changing. Has anybody else noticed this. Is very noticable with the louder exhausts. I would assume ignition timing may be changing, but would the cam timing actually change at idle?
Thanks in advance, Dave

Wow, This 2011 Stang is FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010
Apprentice

It's the A/C compressor turning on and off. Mine does the same thing.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

It is the air conditioning compressor cycling on and off. It effects the idle.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Guys,
All climate controls are off. I am in the HVAC trade and it is not the ac compressor cycling. The Exhaust will get loud and then very soft. It is an ignition timing deal or cam valve timing change.
I have been around hot cars and rebuilt several small block Chevys over the years, played with all different compressions, cams, etc, so hearing the exhaust note change is something very new to this Old School hot rodder.
I am used to hearing a constant exhaust or even the lope of a big cam as idle.
An ideas?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010
PONY Member

yeah, the idle on the stock and tuned cars seems to surge abit. Sometimes worse than others, its the pcm configuring the a/f ration when the car is at idle. I believe one posted that if you have a bad idle surge problem, which will make your exhaust note go up and down as we all know, you disconnect the battery cable for a while then hook it back up and then cold start the car let it idle for 5 minutes then drive about half an hour and the problem will be fixed. Or atleast the pcm will get a closer reading on the a/f fuel. While i dont know for sure though, but my car has settled down abit. After breakin, the cars idle surged from 5-1000rpm sometimes which is alot. It also seems to help when i run 93 octane. unless you are having serious issues which involves taking it back to the dealership, I'd let it go.

2011 Mustang GT premium, Black on Black, 6 speed manual,Brembo pckg,HID's,3.73's, appearance package, Security,Comfort,Roush Axelback, Q Ball shifer, Bama Race Tuned, UMI Brackets and LCA's, K&N drop in filter and more to come...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks. I just found a thread talking about the idle surging. The site is great for info about this car..

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2011gt View Post
yeah, the idle on the stock and tuned cars seems to surge abit. Sometimes worse than others, its the pcm configuring the a/f ration when the car is at idle. I believe one posted that if you have a bad idle surge problem, which will make your exhaust note go up and down as we all know, you disconnect the battery cable for a while then hook it back up and then cold start the car let it idle for 5 minutes then drive about half an hour and the problem will be fixed. Or atleast the pcm will get a closer reading on the a/f fuel. While i dont know for sure though, but my car has settled down abit. After breakin, the cars idle surged from 5-1000rpm sometimes which is alot. It also seems to help when i run 93 octane. unless you are having serious issues which involves taking it back to the dealership, I'd let it go.

Black GT
Mine did the RPM surge to. 500-1000RPM as well. However mine at 500RPM would sometimes almost stall and then surge back up to 1000RPM. And on rare occasions it would stall. It was driving me nuts. I have a post somewhere on here about it I tried 93 octane to and did not make a difference so there was a problem. Dealer changed a bunch of parts. Last one the throttle body. Fixed issue Would not say this engine idles perfectly but 100% better then with the surge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page