Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

I have a theory. I suspect the clutches are not fully disengaging either from pressure plate bolts backing out or problem clutch slaves... Which is causing damage to the synchros. Most people reporting the shifting problems on all of these forums are also reporting difficulty modulating the clutch. That problem alone makes starts from stop in 1st impossible without the car bucking... Unless you slip the heck out of it. The Boss 302 has a higher HP 5.0 with the MT82 but shifts with a Heavy Duty clutch. I hope we all get upgraded parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
My 2011 GT was built 6/10/10 I just turned 5000 miles. This is my second oil and filter change. I dumped the oil at 1000 on the clock and changed the rear fluid at the same time. Wanted to change the trans fluid at 5000 as well but the dealer wanted me to hold off due to a reported notchy 2nd gear engagement issue. I don't baby the car but I don't abuse it either. Second gear engagement issues started around 1200 miles. Also you can feel the trans rumbling when sitting at a light all issues reported to dealer waiting for factory rep report. Will post when new info is available. Aside from this the car shifts great and have not missed a shift. I have noticed if you pull shift lever to the left slightly the notchy 2nd shift feel goes away.
Hi Rascal,

I have been following these posts with you guys about these concerns with your Mustangs. I am happy to hear that you are working with your dealership so they can find the cause of this shifting concern. As I have advised others, I am here to help. I can look into this further for you. You can private message me your VIN and dealership information if you would like. I can also look into recalls or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Best regards,

Deysha

Apprentice
S197 Member

I do believe that this is not an uncommon problem for manual transmissions on any car, unfortunately. I remember my RSX had very well known and widespread issues with 2nd gear grinding and 'popping' out of 3rd sometimes. My car had these issues and although my transmission never failed it was annoying to say the least. I am experiencing the same issues as you guys with my Mustang and it sucks because it shifted oh-so-smooth when I first bought it.

2013 GHIG GT - Stock w/ Trk Pkg

Banned

I completely disagree. I've owned many manual transmissions over the years and they shifted just as well at 100,000 miles as the did when new. My 1986 Honda Accord shifted like butter right up to 320,000 miles before I passed it on to my brother. If anything, shifting feel should IMPROVE once it's broken in.
PONY Member

Are any GT500 owners having similar issues with the Tremec TR-6060?

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Rookie

2011 Mustang V6 6 spd mt
Build date 9/10

J Orbit, I originally posted this on another thread.

I've got the same 1st, 2nd gear problem. Had this problem from day 1. Wanted to put some miles on to see if trans/synchros 'loosen' up. If clutch, probably wouldn't get better.

Now 4 weeks old and 700 miles. Going back to dealer next week. Will contact Deysha with dealer findings.

When cold, 1st and 2nd tough to engage. Bad news when at stop light trying to get into 1st from neutral. The shift to 2nd works good when when revving up to 3,000 rpm, otherwise I skip it and go into 3rd. Up here in the cold north, I don't like high rpms until the engine gets warmed up. Not the greatest solution. Of course, upshift/downshift using 1st and 2nd gets better (not great) when warm.

I have noticed that when lifting the accelerator, the engine returns to idle slower than expected. This may compound the problem if there are synchronizer problems. Could be a computer issue.

I've driven about 1.5 million miles total of which 800,000 miles with manual transmissions (3 spd thru 6 spd). 500,000 miles in the last 8 years. I am not a truck driver, just an old guy who loves cars (and boats and airplanes) and think they should be driven, not stored. What I'm getting at is I think I can tell if something is not normal.

This the first time I have encountered such as this.

Don't know if synthetic trans fluid is used from the factory. If not, would it be a quick fix?
Banned

Shifting issues are MT82 only it seems. Clutch/Tranny = MT82 + 5.0. I monitor 6 Mustang boards and this is pretty wide spread at this point. Problem now is people aren't bringing it in because they think it's the cold tranny fluid.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I was hoping I had one of the good ones...

At least 4 times now, most recently today, my car has failed to engage 2nd from 1st.

On each occasion, the car was completely warmed up and I was shifting at high RPM while turning left from a stop to merge into traffic. Each time it would not engage 2nd and I had to put it into 3rd to keep moving.

It's probably just coincidence that this happens to me when I'm turning left, but I have not had the same experience shifting when going straight under high RPM, heavy acceleration conditions. The wife has encountered the same problem as well.

My problem is also not the 'skip-shift' feature engaging either, as that has been 'tuned-out', and I am well familiar with what that feature feels like.

Aside from the failure to engage 2nd, I have also noticed a more frequent grinding and notchiness with 1st to 2nd and reverse -- at least one occurence every time I drive.

Like many on this forum, I'm no stranger to manual transmissions having driven stick most of my driving life on a variety of vehicles. All of our cars are stick and I can tell that something just doesn't feel right with this one.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

not a normal problem

i have had 5 mustangs since 02,all with manuals.never had any shifting problems.something seems to be very wrong with these.with a little more time and info the guys at ford will figure it out and correct problem.it will surely suck until then.

2009 gt500 convertible.vista blue,sequentials,shorty antenna,billet fuel door
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've been having this issue since I took delvery of my 2011 5.0 on 11/18. I brought mine into the dealership this weekend and discussed with the shop foreman who oversees all of powertrain mechanics. He said Ford knows of the issue and is working on a fix. He said to just drive the car like I normally would and Ford will take care of any issues resulting from the problem. I'm dissappointed in having a problem right out of the box, but also am confident that Ford will take care of its customers. I work in product development and know all too well that this can be some of the downside of a new design.
Rookie

:smilie i have had my 2011 v6 for 8 months now! been in the shop 4 times, over the clutch???? miles on the car 8,946.... its still at the shop!!!!! also getting that vibration!!!!!
Apprentice

2011 GT - Built April 20th - Purchased June 12th

Shifted very smooth when new, but started getting "notchy" at around 2 - 3k miles. Also had the clutch pedal sticking problem.
Started grinding badly when shifting into 5th gear at about 6k miles. Took to dealer for clutch TSB and shifting issue on Oct. 27th.
Dealer installed updated clutch / brake pedal assembly and said they could not replicate the 5th gear grinding. It started grinding with me on the way home from the dealer. Took it back the next day and they were able to replicate issue.
They were instructed by Ford to remove / dissassemble transmission and determine problem. Told me they replaced the 5th gear synchro and associated parts. After repair and test drive they noticed grinding in reverse and hard shifting in lower gears. Not sure if they just missed inspection of these parts or they did something wrong.
They removed transmission again and replaced other sycrhos / parts. Got it back on Friday Nov. 26th and I am happy as there is no grinding and shifting seems to be much less "notchy" even when cold. Clutch pedal has not stuck to the floor either. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Being without car for a month sucked and I was concerned about repairing the transmission versus installing a new one, but I can't complain after driving car over the weekend.
Also, Deysha and the Ford Customer Service folks were very responsive and helpful. I suggest you use them if you are not satisfied with your dealership's service.

1st to 2nd

My New GT "clunks" when I'm shifting into 2nd. Seems to engauge fine, but I'm riding the clutch going into 1st and into 2nd more than I would like.

1st is a little notchy also. It is my 1st stick and I thought it was normal. Evidently not. Taking it to the dealer this week.

I passed over foreigns and the Challenger to go with a Ford this time. Ford are you listening????

This is the least practical car and the least practical time... and I have no regrets.
Banned

make sure you all message Deysha here so your issue is documented and Ford Customer Service gets involved!
Rookie

Just got my 2011 manual 5.0 about 3 weeks ago. Ive got about 1,100 miles on it so far. I have been having the same issues as a lot of you guys too.

-Rattling from about 2,800 to 3,100 RPM in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. Took it to the dealer 3 times so far and they cannot hear it every time they take it for a road test. The service advisor told me to keep driving it till it gets worse then bring it in again.

-In the last 200 miles I have noticed its gotten very hard to shift into first. I didnt have this problem before now its very noticable. ive just been trying to deal with it but its making taking off from red lights very hard.

-I have also hard problems with the shifter being forced out of gear just a few times. I had it set in 1st and had the clutch depressed. As I let the clutch up to start rolling it forced it out of gear and sounded horrible. Then on the way to work i shifted into 4th and the same thing happened again. This time it was a lot scarier because i was going uphill and had traffic behind me. I quickly shifted back into 4th and it stayed.

-The gears have grinded 2 times now when I know I shifted perfectly, like maybe the clutch didnt release when it should have and so it made the gears grind. hate that sound

This really makes me feel horrible about the first car I have bought brand new. The new powertain is awesome now they just need a transmission to match. This MT82 seems to be junk. Maybe its just the clutch but I really hope they fix this cuz this is making me sick having this problem.

Daniel Keller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page