Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

My car is at the Dealership. No news other than they're keeping it overnight.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Le_Oaf
6 speed Manual GT
Build date: 5/20/10

My car has about 2,400 miles on it and is showing the same symptoms as Coyoteugly's and dacam's mustang; sometimes hard to get into 1st gear and 2nd seems notchy. These problems are amplified greatly when the car is cold. The transmission seems to smooth out after it warms up for a bit, but still doesn't feel quite right. The rest of the gears seem fine.

2011 Mustang GT base, Grabber Blue, 6M, 3:73, Brembo Pkg
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
Has anyone who "tuned out" the Skip Shift feature with an after market tune, experienced the rough up-shifting in low gears? :?:
Yes..... it is stil rough with skip shift tuned out.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
does anyone know if this is a single-rail system or a 3-rail system transmission??

it seems to be a common answer that the issue is that the machine that tightens the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel apparently didnt torque them down right or enough i honestly dont know how they are built but something this critical someone who cares should be holding a torque wrench and 3-stage torqing the bolts...

to the guy who posted about pushing the clutch in and shifting into gear twice at idle; its gonna be notchy the first time because thats everything being lined up at about 90% so the notchiness is probably the synchros being shoved into place without proper disengagement of the engine... so once u shift back out the synchros will not change their position (not barely anyway weight of fluid might move it a hair...) so when u shift back into gear with the foot on the cluch, its gonna be smooth cuz the synchro and gear is/are already lined up...
like u said when u shifted into neutral and let the clutch OUT, this grabs the transmission and spins the input shaft but doesnt engage any gears, BUT did change position of the synchro, thus making it difficult the second time

i have rebuilt my T45 and the synchros are great, shift forks just fine u name it... my transmission is still notchy... (1998 of course i wouldnt EVER expect it from a 2011) HOWEVER if i were anyone here with these cars i would take the transmission out myself (if u are a do-it-yourselfer) or if not find a buddy or a shop that will let YOU see whats going on when they lower the transmission... tell them before they touch ANYTHING to grab a torque wrench and put it on the pressure plate bolts; if they are loose order a spec clutch kit and start replacing!! it sucks but im sure u can go after Ford for it later or they are gonna get a really bad rep

ALSO i cant stress enough if at ALL possible if this is happening to you STOP DRIVING THE CAR IMMEDIATELY AND GET IT FIXED... u could seriously damage your transmission that wont show up until ur warranty is already passed... i reccomend Spec clutches as i have heard nothing bad about ANY of them. once you have the problem solved u shouldnt have another for at LEAST 75,000 miles and when u replace ur clutch assembly either A. replace the flywheel or have it at LEAST resurfaced!! properly reinstalling the bolts on that too!! (of course lol) then might i recommend as mentioned in the other thread about this using some loc-tite on the bolts and making sure you replaced the old bolts with new ones at the strongest grade to be found; just in case the old ones stretched or something...ALSO i would personally replace the throw out bearing and the pilot bearing while you are in there, JUST IN CASE they got damaged the last time the pressure plate loosened up (this way you dont have to pay for the repair TWICE) Just triple-check that the bolts are torqued to proper numbers (and if you upgrade the bolt you could probably torque it just a bit more to be on the safe side)

Edit: p.s. sorry for the extremely long post lol i hope my info helps!!

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
J Orbit

Thanks for the info. So you're saying it's normal to be tough to engage 1st gear from a stop? I understand your explanation but why does it seem that it gets harder as time goes on? Common sense would be that its consistant in feel but sometimes it's very smooth, other times a bit notchy and lately it takes considerable force to put it in 1st and reverse well after the car is warm. I've also had a couple of instances where I've pushed the clutch in and felt resistance pulling it out of 1st as if the clutch wasn't disengaged.

What do you think would cause the resistance in 2nd? It's become harder to downshift into 2nd, almost to the point that it feels locked out. I've never had this issue with other manual trans cars I've owned.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperJoe View Post
Same here. Smooth when new, and now notchy into 2nd (sometimes feels like a synchro issue), although not all the time. I can find no rhyme or reason to it. Seems to me it is worse when shifting around corners although that is not always the case either. I have not noticed an issue with 1st gear. Car has 3100 miles on it now. I was out last Sunday here in the DC area and temp was 46F, no issue at all and car was stone cold. I thought that was strange as I am sensitive to the issue and look for it. It surprised me that it did not occur at all, 2nd gear engagement from first was butter smooth the entire 60 minute drive. Have not had it out since last Sunday. Really makes no sense. Build date from door jamb sticker is 6/10. If you need VIN let me know. I have not had it to the dealer yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_oaf View Post
Le_Oaf
6 speed Manual GT
Build date: 5/20/10

My car has about 2,400 miles on it and is showing the same symptoms as Coyoteugly's and dacam's mustang; sometimes hard to get into 1st gear and 2nd seems notchy. These problems are amplified greatly when the car is cold. The transmission seems to smooth out after it warms up for a bit, but still doesn't feel quite right. The rest of the gears seem fine.
Hi SleeperJoe and le_oaf,

I recommend you guys bring your Mustangs in to your local dealerships so they can find the cause of these concerns. Then I would like to look into this further for you. Could you please send me your VIN, dealer information and your contact information via private message? This may help to further escalate these concerns accordingly.

Deysha
Rookie

ya, im not gunna buy it that this is just normal manual transmission behavior. my 05 trans never felt like this.
PONY Member

Our Dealership had trouble replicating the problem and now they are going to have the Foreman drive it to see if a problem exists.

Are you kidding me?

When the grinding happens, I can feel it as a passenger.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
Our Dealership had trouble replicating the problem and now they are going to have the Foreman drive it to see if a problem exists.

Are you kidding me?

When the grinding happens, I can feel it as a passenger.
I'm not surprised but I don't know if they are being less than honest or if they just have no basis of comparision.
When I took mine in the advisor noted the problem right away yet the tech said all was well after a test drive. Of course now that there is an official notice out they've changed their tune.

If it shifted rough from day one I'd be inclined to agree but the fact that it's worse every day give cause for concern.
Banned

So there seem to be multiple "symptoms" being reported by folks here:

1. Clutch engagement has become more on/off vs. progressive, causing bucking starting from stop in 1st.
2. Difficultly shifting into gears that developed over time.
3. Grinding into gears that developed over time.

We have also seen a number of fixes that have solved some of the problems:

A. Replacement of Flywheel and Clutch Assemblies.
B. Replacement of Clutch Slave.
C. Replacement of Transmission.
D. Combination of any of the above.

Personally, I'm experiencing 1, 2, and 3. To date, the dealer tried fix A. It helped with problem 1 for a week... then problem returned. It did nothing to fix 2 and 3. It's back there now and they're working with the "Ford Hotline" to try and figure out a solution.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
Thanks for the info. So you're saying it's normal to be tough to engage 1st gear from a stop? I understand your explanation but why does it seem that it gets harder as time goes on? Common sense would be that its consistant in feel but sometimes it's very smooth, other times a bit notchy and lately it takes considerable force to put it in 1st and reverse well after the car is warm. I've also had a couple of instances where I've pushed the clutch in and felt resistance pulling it out of 1st as if the clutch wasn't disengaged.

What do you think would cause the resistance in 2nd? It's become harder to downshift into 2nd, almost to the point that it feels locked out. I've never had this issue with other manual trans cars I've owned.
J Orbit, no WAY is it normal like i said i expect it from a 14 yr old transmission that i have beat the snot out of lol not a brand new one... i asked about the single rail and the 3 rail because the 3 rails are SLIGHTLY notchy compared to a single rail transmission simply because the gears just ride on a "single rail" the bucking is DEF. not normal that is def. a clutch disc jumping on and off the flywheel which means either the flywheel is warped (common after 10 yrs of beating it) or common to a loose pressure plate.... i was trying to explain to JimmyM about shifting into 1st then back into 1st with the foot on the clutch

it grinding the snot out of second is terrible for ANY standard transmission and should be torn down and determined what the issue is... you can only do so much over the internet but if i was around for yall i would personally drop each one of your transmissions and replace parts right away!! weak bolts and i even heard in another thread they used too much loc-tite (blue) and the bolts didnt seat... does anyone have blue goop on their pressure plate bolts??? plz let me know thanks

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
Rookie

Build Date 4/6/10
2,500 Miles

+1 For me as having the car shift harder than normal and notchy from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when cold. My dilemma now is that I am getting ready to store the car away for winter this weekend and I don't want to take it out of storage to bring it to the dealer until next spring. What should I do? Notify the dealer of the potential problem?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0, Black, 6MT, Borla S-Type Axlebacks, Redline Hood Struts, Shelby GT500 SVT Wheels
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm bringing mine into the dealership on Friday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If I were Ford, I'd start swapping out faulty MT82s for Tremecs and send the symptomatic MT82s to Dearborn for teardown and analysis. I'd take the GT500's American built Tremec in a heartbeat over the "Made In China" MT82 if Ford agreed to a swap. This has completely ruined the excitement of taking delivery of my first factory ordered new car (that I waited 2 months for).
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Email sent to Ford Today:

Beyond the disappointment of having an issue with my brand new 2011 Mustang GT, it is very troubling that Ford made the decision to build the MT82 in China. My previous vehicle was a 2005 Subaru WRX that I spent 5 years and $10,000 modifying to an impressively reliable, capable, and fun to drive performance machine. I sold it for the 2011 Mustang GT not because I no longer enjoyed driving the WRX, but because since I was a young I always wanted to own an American muscle car. The new 5.0 was undeniably awesome and finally lived up the the legendary American muscle cars of yore. I was also delighted to learn that it was manufactured in Flat Rock, MI just 30 minutes from where I grew up. An American muscle car from my hometown that could take on the mighty BMW M3! It was too good to be true. I placed a factory order so it could be exactly the way I wanted it. When it arrived 8 weeks later, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. An then came the "Made In China" MT82 to spoil the party. The decision to put a Chinese made transmission into an American Icon like the Ford Mustang is incomprehensible. I am a product manager for a global power tool manufacturer and have been extraordinarily frustrated by one quality issue after another out of our Chinese manufacturing facilities and the supply base that feeds into them. After a rough day at work dealing with all of the headaches in China, my Mustang is supposed to be my American refuge; not an additional lesson on the cultural dysfunction that is Chinese manufacturing. I know from experience that it is a big deal to have a quality issue on a $200 product that someone makes a living with (like a power tool), let alone a $38,000 purchase. I would have gladly paid the extra $500 it might cost to have an American built MT82. In fact, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make Ford an offer right now that I'll pay that $500 to have my MT82 swapped out for the GT500's American Made Tremec transmission. US workers would have taken extreme pride knowing that the transmissions they are building are for the legendary Ford Mustang. Chinese workers don't know a Ford Mustang from a toaster oven. I know this because I used to consult for some of Ford's Tier 1 U.S. suppliers and I have also spent a lot of time in my current employer's factories in China. My rational senses understand that the world is becoming increasingly global and that its nearly impossible to find any product that does not incorporate some foreign components. However, there is nothing rational about purchasing a 412hp rear wheel drive sports car. And for that reason, I can say with confidence that Mustang owners don't want to see "Made In China" on their engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, or gauges.
Apprentice

I'm with you on ruining the excitement. I take delivery of my GT in 2 weeks and because it is getting cold, and salt is on the ground it will go straight to my garage for 5 months. The issue is, I have read so much about bad clutches/transmissions that I don't even feel like having it! (I dreamed about having a muscle car for 30 years). What would really blow is having it stuck in my garage for 5 months, take it out in spring and find I have a crappy clutch problem and have to take it in to be fixed. Talk about disappointing after waiting patiently for 3 months to be built and delivered and then 5 months in storage and never even driven it!

I just really hope I am lucky or Ford fixed the issue before they built the car 2 days ago. Here's hoping for the best.

2011 Kona Blue with charcoal interior, 5.0 GT premium, 6MT, 3.55 rear end, Brembos, Glass roof, pedestal spoiler and hood scoop, security package, HIDs, Borla S-type axle-backs, tints, Light bulbs replaced with LEDs, Eibach Pro springs, Competition Engineering panhard rod, Airaid CAI.
Ordered Sept 13th, 2010
Built Nov 29th, 2010
Delivered Dec 11th, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page