Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

this is my first Manual Transmission Car so i wouldent know if its notchy or not ... i did put on another post that 2nd gear did feel kind of Rough... when shifting at high RPM's only 2nd feels rough all others are good..... dont know why but if problems get worst i will just take it to dealer and let my lovely warranty take care of it.

Mobile Mod Performance
Mustang Performance
v6mustangperformance.com
Leading 3.7L Database Website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Well, they had my car 3 days and had extensive discussions with Ford. Ford advised them to add a friction modifier to the transmission fluid. They called this afternoon and told me the car was fixed and that the improvement in shift quality was night and day. Of course, I was skeptical. Well, I just picked it up and I'm thrilled to say the least. The car will go into ANY gear easily at any speed. I can actually shift the car with my pinky. There is absolutely NO grinding AT ALL and shifts are crisp and quick now: click-click-click-click. It even feels different with the motor off. Moving the lever is effortless and as opposed to multiple clunks as you move the lever into gear, you simply feel and hear one CLICK.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenWins View Post
Email sent to Ford Today:

Beyond the disappointment of having an issue with my brand new 2011 Mustang GT, it is very troubling that Ford made the decision to build the MT82 in China. My previous vehicle was a 2005 Subaru WRX that I spent 5 years and $10,000 modifying to an impressively reliable, capable, and fun to drive performance machine. I sold it for the 2011 Mustang GT not because I no longer enjoyed driving the WRX, but because since I was a young I always wanted to own an American muscle car. The new 5.0 was undeniably awesome and finally lived up the the legendary American muscle cars of yore. I was also delighted to learn that it was manufactured in Flat Rock, MI just 30 minutes from where I grew up. An American muscle car from my hometown that could take on the mighty BMW M3! It was too good to be true. I placed a factory order so it could be exactly the way I wanted it. When it arrived 8 weeks later, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. An then came the "Made In China" MT82 to spoil the party. The decision to put a Chinese made transmission into an American Icon like the Ford Mustang is incomprehensible. I am a product manager for a global power tool manufacturer and have been extraordinarily frustrated by one quality issue after another out of our Chinese manufacturing facilities and the supply base that feeds into them. After a rough day at work dealing with all of the headaches in China, my Mustang is supposed to be my American refuge; not an additional lesson on the cultural dysfunction that is Chinese manufacturing. I know from experience that it is a big deal to have a quality issue on a $200 product that someone makes a living with (like a power tool), let alone a $38,000 purchase. I would have gladly paid the extra $500 it might cost to have an American built MT82. In fact, I'll put my money where my mouth is and make Ford an offer right now that I'll pay that $500 to have my MT82 swapped out for the GT500's American Made Tremec transmission. US workers would have taken extreme pride knowing that the transmissions they are building are for the legendary Ford Mustang. Chinese workers don't know a Ford Mustang from a toaster oven. I know this because I used to consult for some of Ford's Tier 1 U.S. suppliers and I have also spent a lot of time in my current employer's factories in China. My rational senses understand that the world is becoming increasingly global and that its nearly impossible to find any product that does not incorporate some foreign components. However, there is nothing rational about purchasing a 412hp rear wheel drive sports car. And for that reason, I can say with confidence that Mustang owners don't want to see "Made In China" on their engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, or gauges.
You already made an opposing $38K statement to Ford when you purchased your vehicle. My bet is the $38K statement was heard more loudly than your letter.

So far there is every indication that the Chinese transmission is fine, that the problem is loose pressure plate / clutch cover / spring assembly bolts.

If the Tremec is desired, they already offer that transmission at a different level vehicle.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Well, they had my car 3 days and had extensive discussions with Ford. Ford advised them to add a friction-reducing additive to the transmission fluid. They called this afternoon and told me the car was fixed and that the improvement in shift quality was night and day. Of course, I was skeptical. Well, I just picked it up and I'm thrilled to say the least. The car will go into ANY gear easily at any speed. I can actually shift the car with my pinky. There is absolutely NO grinding AT ALL and shifts are crisp and quick now: click-click-click-click. It even feels different with the motor off. Moving the lever is effortless and as opposed to multiple clunks as you move the lever into gear, you simply feel and hear one CLICK.
What was the name and location of the Dealership? If my Dealership can find the problem and fix it (with all of the background info I sent them about bolts and syncros - well, everything we've been discussing) maybe they can call and discuss with your Dealership? Did they only add a special fluid or did they fix anything mechanical? :laughlitt

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Banned

The ONLY thing they did was add a friction modifier... That's it. I can't believe it's the same car I dropped off. Amazing.

Frontier Ford
Santa Clara, California

Ask for Bryan in the service department.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
I'm not surprised but I don't know if they are being less than honest or if they just have no basis of comparision.
When I took mine in the advisor noted the problem right away yet the tech said all was well after a test drive. Of course now that there is an official notice out they've changed their tune.

If it shifted rough from day one I'd be inclined to agree but the fact that it's worse every day give cause for concern.
Well they could fire up one of the brand new, never-been-driven ones from the lot and compare mine to it?

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So you're saying it's normal to be tough to engage 1st gear from a stop? I understand your explanation but why does it seem that it gets harder as time goes on? Common sense would be that its consistant in feel but sometimes it's very smooth, other times a bit notchy and lately it takes considerable force to put it in 1st and reverse well after the car is warm. I've also had a couple of instances where I've pushed the clutch in and felt resistance pulling it out of 1st as if the clutch wasn't disengaged.

What do you think would cause the resistance in 2nd? It's become harder to downshift into 2nd, almost to the point that it feels locked out. I've never had this issue with other manual trans cars I've owned.
Mine does that too. I usually stop in second gear (after downshifting from higher gears) and engage the clutch when the RPM is about 1000. When fully stopped, I'll move the shifter to 1st and sometimes it won't go in.

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
The ONLY thing they did was add a friction modifier... That's it. I can't believe it's the same car I dropped off. Amazing.

Frontier Ford
Santa Clara, California

Ask for Bryan in the service department.
Hmmm... could it be as easy as that?

Thanks for the info!

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Quote:
I got a voicemail back from a Service Manager at a semi-local dealership and he said the issue is caused by pressure plate bolts and that they have repaired other cars with the same 1st gear symptoms. I also came across the following:

Quote:
2011 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH MT82 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - EXPERIENCING VARIOUS CLUTCH SYMPTOMS
2011 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH MT82 MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY SHIFTING INTO REVERSE AND 1ST GEAR, LOW CLUTCH PEDAL RESERVE OR CLUTCH PEDAL FEELING VERY LIGHT. POSSIBLE CAUSE COULD BE LOOSE CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308-01 (CLUTCH REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION FOR APPROPRIATE ENGINE APPLICATION). CLEAN THREAD MATERIAL FROM FLYWHEEL BOLT HOLES WITH APPROPRIATE NON-OIL BASED SOLVENT. DURING INSTALLATION BE SURE TO INSTALL NEW PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS (W715869-S439) AND TIGHTEN ONE TURN AT A TIME IN A STAR PATTERN UNTIL ALL BOLTS REACH A NEW TORQUE OF 63NM (46 LBFT). TIGHTEN EACH BOLT AN ADDITIONAL 60 DEGREES IN A STAR PATTERN. USE APPROPRIATE LABOR TIMES FOR REPAIR. WSM IS BEING UPDATED 2011 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH MT82 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - EXPERIENCING VARIOUS CLUTCH SYMPTOMS
2011 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH MT82 MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY SHIFTING INTO REVERSE AND 1ST GEAR, LOW CLUTCH PEDAL RESERVE OR CLUTCH PEDAL FEELING VERY LIGHT. POSSIBLE CAUSE COULD BE LOOSE CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308-01 (CLUTCH REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION FOR APPROPRIATE ENGINE APPLICATION). CLEAN THREAD MATERIAL FROM FLYWHEEL BOLT HOLES WITH APPROPRIATE NON-OIL BASED SOLVENT. DURING INSTALLATION BE SURE TO INSTALL NEW PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS (W715869-S439) AND TIGHTEN ONE TURN AT A TIME IN A STAR PATTERN UNTIL ALL BOLTS REACH A NEW TORQUE OF 63NM (46 LBFT). TIGHTEN EACH BOLT AN ADDITIONAL 60 DEGREES IN A STAR PATTERN. USE APPROPRIATE LABOR TIMES FOR REPAIR. WSM IS BEING UPDATED
I have to take my car back in for an unrelated issue this weekend, I'll bring this up to them then.
Those instructions are very similar to the existing FSM instructions.

The bolt P/N in the FSM is: N808969, new P/N is W715869-S439

The bolts are already single use parts in the existing, carried over to single use in the new.

Cleaning the flywheel bolt holes w/ non-oil solvent is new.

The existing instruction is 1-2 turns on each bolt in a star pattern, new is 1 turn.

The existing instruction is torque to 35 lb-ft, new is 46 lb-ft.

Both say turn another 60.

Neither mention thread sealant, like Loctite.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
PONY Member

Additionally, the FSM states to index mark the existing parts if they are to be re-used, the new instructions do not.

The FSM states to inspect the flywheel runout, the new instructions do not.

Neither refer to the 308-00-2 pressure plate / clutch cover / spring assembly inspection, if the parts are to be re-used.

Neither refer to the 308-00-2 clutch disc inspection, if the parts are to be re-used.

Banned

Hate to tell you guys, but I had that fix applied 2 weeks ago. They replaced everything.. Flywheel, entire clutch assembly. It smoothed out the clutch again but diid NOTHING to help the shifting issue.
Rookie

I took my GT to the dealer yesterday for the "klunk" I hear when engauging the clutch when going into 2nd, as well as when I actually shift from 1st to 2nd. A technician (who owns a 2001 cobra) whent for a ride with me, then got into another GT on the lot and took it out. He said they sounded the same going into 2nd, and it is likely the new clutch and transmission. No charge.

This is my 1st stick, so it might just be me. It rides and shifts fine otherwise, but 2nd is not this car's favorite gear.

A question: the skip shift tells me to shift 1st to 4th for fuel economy. 1st to 3rd feels much more smooth. Is that OK to do mechanically?

This is the least practical car and the least practical time... and I have no regrets.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
You already made an opposing $38K statement to Ford when you purchased your vehicle. My bet is the $38K statement was heard more loudly than your letter.

So far there is every indication that the Chinese transmission is fine, that the problem is loose pressure plate / clutch cover / spring assembly bolts.

If the Tremec is desired, they already offer that transmission at a different level vehicle.
Yeah, that makes sense. I should have paid an extra $16,000 to get the Tremec.

Every indication the Chinese transmission is fine? Please show me the diagnosis of this issue that supports that.
Banned

Well based on my personal experience:

What appeared to be failing synchros was most likely the fluid in the tranny making them "unhappy". The addition of the Friction Modifier smoothed everything out.

Now.. to be fair... if your pressure plate bolts DID back out to the point where the clutch was not disengaging fully... you could have damaged the synchros. In my case, while they did replace the clutch and flywheel, there was no sign of the bolts backing out.

I guess the question is this: My transmission shifted beautifully for the first 500 miles before the grinding started... what changed that required an additive to the fluid? To be honest, this is a new powertrain for Ford. So many of us are experiencing this, and the more of us that bring it to the dealer, the sooner Ford will solve the issue. If the problem doesn't return, the issue was most likely fluid that didn't play well with a "broken in" MT82. If the problem comes back after the Friction Modifier is added, something in the tranny is continuing to wear. Only time will tell! Right now, I'm happy as a clam!
:kooky:
J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdad73 View Post
I took my GT to the dealer yesterday for the "klunk" I hear when engauging the clutch when going into 2nd, as well as when I actually shift from 1st to 2nd. A technician (who owns a 2001 cobra) whent for a ride with me, then got into another GT on the lot and took it out. He said they sounded the same going into 2nd, and it is likely the new clutch and transmission. No charge.

This is my 1st stick, so it might just be me. It rides and shifts fine otherwise, but 2nd is not this car's favorite gear.

A question: the skip shift tells me to shift 1st to 4th for fuel economy. 1st to 3rd feels much more smooth. Is that OK to do mechanically?
Well, take it from a bunch of guys that have driven manuals their whole lives that it's not normal. Mine is now to the point where I've been locked out of 2nd when downshifting twice now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page