Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Bah! It's time to take it in now.

Today it would not engage any gear after I pulled out into traffic from first. Left me sitting in the turn lane looking like an idiot fumbling for the gears. Finally got it into 5th to start moving again. I drove for another 20 mins or so afterwards and while it was notchy I was still able to get it into gear.

Several times this has happened to me now: 1) sitting at the stop sign waiting to turn left on to a main boulevard with heavy traffic, 2) I see a gap in the traffic and launch 'spiritedly' from 1st, 3) disengage the clutch, pull the shifter out of 1st, try to move into 2nd and...nothing...won't go in to gear.

Pedal feels normal, but shifter won't go into gear. The last few times this happened I forced it into 3rd to get moving again, but today even that wouldn't work.

It's all very bizarre, because I am able to evenutally get it into gear, but I can't understand this behavior for the life of me. It feels like the gears are locked out or something!

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)

Last edited by Checkmate; 12-02-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

It sounds like (despite you having the pedal depressed fully) the clutch is not disengaging. Based on all of our experiences, it most likely points to 1 of 2 things:

1. The clutch slave isn't doing its job (mechanical failure, air in the lines, or both)
2. The pressure plate bolts backed out preventing the clutch from disengaging.

I'd PM the Ford Rep who monitors this site and she will put a Ford Service Rep in touch with you to arrange for a repair.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
OH MY GOD im soooo sorry guys... as this is a very new transmission to us and well the fact that it is chinese LESS than thrills me

ANYWAY some standard transmissions REQUIRE a fluid called "synchromesh" GM's are famous for it and im PRETTY sure every new corvette with a 6spd transmission comes with the synchomesh in it so that perhaps COULD be the friction modifier... Doh! im so sorry i forgot about that... they synchromesh helps the synchros "float" into the position that they are supposed to be in and the transmissions that REQUIRE that additive will slowly destroy it's synchros without it

dammit im so sorry i didnt think of that HOWEVER that does NOT explain why ur pressure plate bolts would stretch/back out... but it might be good if someone found out what transmission a new vette uses

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Well based on my personal experience:

What appeared to be failing synchros was most likely the fluid in the tranny making them "unhappy". The addition of the Friction Modifier smoothed everything out.

Now.. to be fair... if your pressure plate bolts DID back out to the point where the clutch was not disengaging fully... you could have damaged the synchros. In my case, while they did replace the clutch and flywheel, there was no sign of the bolts backing out.

I guess the question is this: My transmission shifted beautifully for the first 500 miles before the grinding started... what changed that required an additive to the fluid? To be honest, this is a new powertrain for Ford. So many of us are experiencing this, and the more of us that bring it to the dealer, the sooner Ford will solve the issue. If the problem doesn't return, the issue was most likely fluid that didn't play well with a "broken in" MT82. If the problem comes back after the Friction Modifier is added, something in the tranny is continuing to wear. Only time will tell! Right now, I'm happy as a clam!
:kooky:
Do you know what they called the friction modifier, where can you get it and how do you put it in? Does the engine oil circulate to the transmission?

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

This stuff?

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Well we got the car back. They found nothing unusual. They had it for a few days. A tech drove it... nothing. A foreman drove it... nothing. I know they didn't put it on a hoist and inspect anything because they didn't even wash it. The Service Rep called for my wife to come and drive with the foreman, to see if it was driver error (which it's not). :nogrinner While on the phone with me, he has the gall to mention that "they did notice the fuel light kept coming on". I said "is the ******* car out of gas?" He said "soon" and wanted to know if I wanted them to add some (and charge me) or if my wife would be putting some in. When my wife got there, they drove around and the foreman said that the notchy feel is normal for mustangs and the occasional gear grind is normal for cold weather. He said we could switch to synthetic oil and that might help. I tried. It's documented now but I still don't believe that nothing is wrong. I'll keep an eye on it from here and if the car self-destructs, I'll probably take it somewhere else and have them invoice the Dealership.

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Ford Customer Service Rep Deysha,

Any word on the friction modifier fix?

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I spoke with a customer service rep today. She was helpful and explained that customer service will not be involved in the technical side of any repair. You won't have much luck getting any technical feedback from Deysha. Figuring out the issue is between engineering and the service centers. Customer service is there to make sure the dealerships are taking care of customers in the manner that they have been instructed by Ford to do so. PLEASE PM Deysha with your VIN# and the symptoms of the problem if you have not already done so and she will get a case number assigned to your complaint. From there you will be contacted by a regional service rep and by a corporate customer service rep. They'll put the heat on your dealership to make sure your case gets the proper attention. I told the corporate service rep what a widespread problem this seems to be developing into and begged her to push the engineers to get to a service center ASAP to conduct a teardown on one of these cases. Seems like I was able to get her attention, but if they don't see a lot of registered cases, it won't get engineering attention. I'm dropping my car off to the service center tomorrow and will post on how it goes.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed at Ford's response to my complaint thus far. Seems like its getting plenty of attention at both corporate and at my dealer. An issue with the new Mustang is a huge concern to Ford and I'm confident they're taking it very seriously. If they can take care of this quickly, I'll be very willing to put this behind me and enjoy the hell out of the new 5.0.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

There's obviously been a ton of posts here and a lot of vehicles going in and out of service centers with various attempts at a fix. Has anyone's MT82 rough shift problem actually been resolved? If so, can you post the name of your dealership and a service center contact? I'd like to have my service center call over if they don't seem to have an answer tomorrow.
Banned

My MT82 seems to be completely fixed.

Solution: added Ford Friction Modifier to transmission fluid.

Forntier Ford
Santa Clara, CA

Ask for Bryan in service.
Apprentice

Is there any reason why we all shouldn't go out and try this?

Is there any possibility a friction modifier would do harm to this tranny?
Banned

I'd bring it in and let them do it.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsidiousGT View Post
Is there any reason why we all shouldn't go out and try this?

Is there any possibility a friction modifier would do harm to this tranny?
i agree with jmatero, bring it in and let THEM put it in, JUST IN CASE cuz if for freak chance the trans blows after a few thousand more miles they will blame it on you putting in the friction modifier...

if this "friction modifier" is in fact "synchromesh" i know that it cant hurt a transmission if nothing else, fix your problems...and it is OKAY to put into a transmission that doesnt require it... but i honestly dont know how it reacts because i personally have never used it

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

JMatero,
Thanks for posting this info. I'm going to pass along to my dealership.

Brought the vehicle in this morning and they aluded to the pressure plate bolts this am but said they'd take three days to order from Detroit! Three days? Are they being delivered by bicycle? I don't know why the didn't order these ahead of time. Its not like they're expensive.

SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
My MT82 seems to be completely fixed.

Solution: added Ford Friction Modifier to transmission fluid.

Forntier Ford
Santa Clara, CA

Ask for Bryan in service.
Banned

According to my repair sheet, the part was FMC XL3. Which equates to Ford's Motorcraft XL3 Limited Slip Friction Modifier.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorcraft_XL3_1.jpg
Views:	2536
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	116755  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in