Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
According to my repair sheet, the part was FMC XL3. Which equates to Ford's Motorcraft XL3 Limited Slip Friction Modifier.
Thanks! I'll check into it.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
Ford Customer Service Rep Deysha,

Any word on the friction modifier fix?
Hi JimmyM,

SixteenWins is correct in stating that I'm not a technician or engineer and can not explain these types of specifications. In regards to this friction modifier, I could not say this is the fix for all transmission concerns being mentioned. While the symptoms may be similar, the vehicle must be diagnosed first at one of our dealerships so they can find the cause of the problem. They would be able to determine the appropriate fix according to the diagnosis. If your vehicle is having a concern, please feel free to pm me your VIN if you need any further assistance.

Deysha

Banned

I agree with Deysha. Remember, before I had the Friction Modifier added, I had the clutch/flywheel replaced. Every car is different. My solution actually came after 2 repairs. PM Deysha and bring those stangs in!

Rookie

Well I just got back from going to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara and setting up an appointment for next Tuesday to get my transmission looked at. I'm pretty optimistic that the transmission will get fixed because the dealer is going to put the same crew that worked on jmatero's on my car since they've seen this problem before. I'll keep you guys posted on what's going on and what they end up doing.

2011 Mustang GT base, Grabber Blue, 6M, 3:73, Brembo Pkg
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

JMatero is the Man!

By posting this info. my dealership in Baltimore was able to contact service tech in Santa Clara today to discuss the issue. That CA service center seems to really know Mustangs. Based on conversations with the Santa Clara service center, they ruled out the pressure plate issue. They went ahead an added the friction modifier and it seems to be making a world of difference. It felt like a whole new transmission on the way home from the dealer. The real test will be tomorrow morning when the transmission is cold. I'll post back on how that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
My MT82 seems to be completely fixed.

Solution: added Ford Friction Modifier to transmission fluid.

Forntier Ford
Santa Clara, CA

Ask for Bryan in service.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenWins View Post
JMatero is the Man!

By posting this info. my dealership in Baltimore was able to contact service tech in Santa Clara today to discuss the issue. That CA service center seems to really know Mustangs. Based on conversations with the Santa Clara service center, they ruled out the pressure plate issue. They went ahead an added the friction modifier and it seems to be making a world of difference. It felt like a whole new transmission on the way home from the dealer. The real test will be tomorrow morning when the transmission is cold. I'll post back on how that goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
keep us posted...
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

OK, so here's what I'm finding after 24 hrs with the friction modifier:
  • Sill experiencing rough shifting 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 when the transmssion is cold. It was about 35 degrees this morning. JMatero is in CA, so from his perspective its totaly fixed since he's not going to see temperatures this cold
  • When the gearbox warms up it shifts beautifully. I went for an hour drive through twisty country roads, doing a lot of shifting. The "intermittent" rough shifts are completely gone. Goes into 1st very smoothly.

Based on my initial experience with the friction modifier it seems to definitely offer a significant improvement when warm, but does not appear to be the silver bullet I had hoped it would be. If the rough shifting is killing all of your enjoyment of the car, I'd recommend having your service center contact JMatero's dealer in Santa Clara regarding the friction modifier. It will at least allow you to enjoy driving the car while Ford figures out a permanent fix for this issue. My service center is going to keep my case open until its fully resolved. The saga continues.....

SW
Rookie
S197 Member

This is the only thing I am not liking about this car. this is my first 6speed and I thought it would just take me awhile to get use to it .It makes me feel like I have never drove a stick before.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOS47 View Post
This is the only thing I am not liking about this car. this is my first 6speed and I thought it would just take me awhile to get use to it .It makes me feel like I have never drove a stick before.
Yeah, I felt the same way. I've been driving manuals for the last 9 years and I began to wonder "have I lost the touch?". Then the friction modifier was added and it made a huge improvement in the transmission feel. I can shift MUCH smoother. It could be just my mind playing games with me, but I swear the friction modifier somehow made the clutch engagement more linear (as opposed to on/off).
Banned

My clutch engagement seems better too... which I simply don't get.
J Orbit

I got my car back Friday after having the updated pressure plate bolts put in. Right away I noticed that 1st and 2nd were much improved. I've yet to feel locked out of gear and the engagement to 2nd is much better, no klanging noise and it feels solid at low and high RPMs. It's gotten colder here (mid 30s) and like other cars it's a bit kluncky until warm but I'm not expereincing any of the hard rough shifts anymore.
Given the other fix I've seen here I ordered some of the friction modifer, I think that will be the final nail in the coffin for the rough shifting.
Rookie
S197 Member

Has anyone in here has accidentally down shifted into a lower gear at a high rpm, and the engine cut off?
Does anybody here know if the gt has a engine cut off switch to protect your engine, in-case you over rev your engine?
Rookie

well i took it in earlier and they finally heard the rattle so they are gunna look at that tomorrow. They are also gunna put in the fiction modifier while its there.

over the weekend I had 1st lock out on me several times. Like another member said, you try to get it into gear a few times and finally it goes in. i dont know what the heck is wrong with it, it was warmed up too.
Apprentice

OK. I posted last week about issue with notchy shifting into 2nd. Deysha contacted me and with help from Yolanda at Ford Customer Service an appointment was setup at the dealer. (Nice work from FORD). I dropped it off last night and just got a call from the Service writer. He tells me he had three techs drive it and "could not duplicate the problem." I actually expected this response, unfortunately it is an unacceptable response. I was asked by the Service writer to come in and drive the car with the tech so they could observe. I'll post back tomorrow the results and conclusion. (But we already know what that will be? Don't we?). I will not be happy until at the very least the fluid is changed and the friction modifier added. It has been OKed by FORD with others and I see no reason why it should not be done with a fresh fluid change. Least they can do.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
Rookie
S197 Member

Should I go to the dealer to have this done(Friction Modifier)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page