Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOS47 View Post
Should I go to the dealer to have this done(Friction Modifier)?
There has yet to be a TSB or anything in reference to the friction modifier fix issued so most dealers aren't going to know about it yet.

You can try referring your dealer to the dealer in California where this fix was originated and they should be able to tell your dealer service manager about it.

Otherwise your dealer may tell you they can't do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Call Bryan at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara.

Apprentice

Angry

OK. I am updating the results of my visit with the local FORD dealer. As stated earlier they told me they could not replicate the issue and I was invited to drive it so they could observe. Drive I did and the first time I shifted into 2nd it clunked and chattered. His response was I was shifting it wrong! Ive been driving sticks for over 30 years and I am shifting it wrong!? He want on about some nonsense that with side pressure on the stick when pulling it back into 2nd, pressure is being exerted on the reverse gear and this is what you are experiencing. I thought reverse was push down and then up next to first? He also told me he and the other tech that drove the car also experienced this and that you just have to shift it RIGHT. Right! I told him that excuse was unacceptable. Afterward I chatted with the Service writer who sympathized and wanted to help. He offered to call FORD Eng support back and pressure them, which he did. I subsequently followed up with Customer Support. Bottom line... FORD at this time believes it a non issue and has logged the issue and will not add a friction modifier to the to the trans at this time. If the problem gets worse, bring it back. Case shelved for the moment. Disappointed. Questions? Comments?

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.

Banned

Have you contacted Deysha and been assigned a Ford Service Rep? That is how you'll get this resolved. The Ford rep's job is assure you are satisfied with your service at the dealer... Which you are not.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just go to the parts store and buy the friction modifier and add it yourself or get a shop to add it for you. Only costs a few bucks and Ford would never know or be able to tell if you ever had to get warranty work done later on. Add about 4 oz., you shouldn't even need to drain any of the lube out to add it.

Banned

I would not recommend doing it yourself. See my last post. Everyone of us who had the issue fixed with no stress did it this way.
J Orbit

Well I'm sorry to report that after 4 days the shifting has gotten noticeably rough again. It's not as bad as it was the day I took it in but it's getting there. bummer...
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions guys. To answer JMatero's question about Deysha...She initially contacted me on this thread (back a few pages) asking me to contact her privately which I did. She then assigned Yolanda as a Customer Service rep who helped me setup the appointment. Yolanda and I chatted today concerning the issue and she was not able to help any further. The FORD Engs decided not to have the friction modifier added as per my suggestion. I informed the Service writer and Yolanda of the issues seen with this trans and even printed out for them some of the highlights from this forum/thread. No dice. Bring it back if it gets worse was the answer. Everyone was polite, however I'm unhappy. Just picked it up and drove it home where she will sit till it warms up some. 28 degrees here in DC and those Pirelli P-Zeros are dangerous in the cold.

Cheers; JOE

2011 Sterling Grey GT Premium, 6MT, Brembo, 3:73, GT500 axlebacks, tint, Rousch white billiard ball shift knob, Stack Racing lower black billet grille.
Rookie

Well I took my car into Frontier Ford in Santa Clara this morning to have them look at the transmission because of hard shifting, especially when cold. I just got a call from the dealer about an hour ago and the technician working on my car said, "there is a definite grinding when going into 2nd gear". They told me that they were going to contact Ford engineers to see what they should do next and that they'll keep me posted. I'll keep you guys posted and let you know that's going on.

2011 Mustang GT base, Grabber Blue, 6M, 3:73, Brembo Pkg
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would think if the synchros are mashing, then metal should start showing up in the fluid. Anyone know for sure? If that's the case, I'm going to drive mine for a couple more weeks and have the dealer look for metal in the trans fluid. I don't know how this couldn't be causing damage to my transmission.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
Well I'm sorry to report that after 4 days the shifting has gotten noticeably rough again. It's not as bad as it was the day I took it in but it's getting there. bummer...
So you had new pressure plate bolts put in, but the problem is still there. I noticed you said that you also ordered the friction modifier. Have you tried adding that to see if that finally solves the issue as jmatero claims?

Keep us updated. Thanks.

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperJoe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. To answer JMatero's question about Deysha...She initially contacted me on this thread (back a few pages) asking me to contact her privately which I did. She then assigned Yolanda as a Customer Service rep who helped me setup the appointment. Yolanda and I chatted today concerning the issue and she was not able to help any further. The FORD Engs decided not to have the friction modifier added as per my suggestion. I informed the Service writer and Yolanda of the issues seen with this trans and even printed out for them some of the highlights from this forum/thread. No dice. Bring it back if it gets worse was the answer. Everyone was polite, however I'm unhappy. Just picked it up and drove it home where she will sit till it warms up some. 28 degrees here in DC and those Pirelli P-Zeros are dangerous in the cold.
Joe I'm in the same boat as you. I don't seem to have a pressure plate issue (yet). I still have the notchy feel with the grind into 2nd and 3rd. To me, it totally feels like the syncros don't quite make the proper alignment. My Dealership didn't see anything wrong with the notchy shifting or grinding. They said that's normal for Mustangs. They didn't even offer to add friction modifier. I even sent them the info. They found nothing and did even less. I also haven't heard from Ford or Deysha since this began. At any rate if the car explodes now, I have a recorded visit for this issue and they can replace everything then.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Rookie

It has been weeks since I have been onto the forum and I have to say I am glad to find out that I am not the oly one that has had this issue. This is the first MT I have owned and I was concerned I was doing something wrong and hurting the transmission (which may be happening but it is not my user error)

As the first video mentions, at a stop light I have difficulty getting into 1st but if I go back to N then back to first it is smooth.

I have noticed a considerable difference since I have begun shifting 1-2 at higher rpms (atleast 4000 rpm). I attributed this to the transmission wanting to use the skip shift even after the indicator on the dash goes away.

I do get a slight grind when going into 3rd that has been mentioned also.

It is disappointing this is happening but I am glad we can work together to bring some light to the situation.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
Joe I'm in the same boat as you. I don't seem to have a pressure plate issue (yet). I still have the notchy feel with the grind into 2nd and 3rd. To me, it totally feels like the syncros don't quite make the proper alignment. My Dealership didn't see anything wrong with the notchy shifting or grinding. They said that's normal for Mustangs. They didn't even offer to add friction modifier. I even sent them the info. They found nothing and did even less. I also haven't heard from Ford or Deysha since this began. At any rate if the car explodes now, I have a recorded visit for this issue and they can replace everything then.
Find another dealer! Notchy is one thing, but grinding Is Not normal. Mine was initially notchy and then started grinding. Dealership ended up replacing several synchros and associated parts. Work was completed a couple of weeks ago and it's still shifting good so far...keeping my fingers crossed.
I have requested a copy of the work order with a list of parts replaced. I will post-up when I get it.
In my case, Deysha and the customer service rep were very responsive and helpful.

I add 4oz last night and only got about 10 miles on it so far so can't say if its working yet or not. Warning to any one who does it them selves. It smells really bad! I got a little on my sweatshirt had to remove it and rap it up in towels I had in the truck. But the smell is still there a bit. I used a zoom oil bottle to add it

Black 2011 GT M6 Options: Rapid Spec. 401A, Electronics Package, Security Package, 3.73, Comfort Package, Brembo Brakes, Rear Video.

60' 2.083
1/8 8.503
MPH 85.43
1/4 13.071
MPH 108.77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page