Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems. - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing rough/notchy/stiff shifting with your MT82 6-Speed?
Yes, I am experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 263 71.27%
No, I am not experiencing rough, notchy, and stiff shifting 106 28.73%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
J Orbit

Official 2011-2014 MT-82 manual tranny shifting problems.

I think it would serve us all to have this information consolidated into one thread and made into a sticky. It can serve to help those experiencing the issue to be able to bring this information to the dealership to reinforce their claim.

This thread is ONLY for people that are having issues with the manual transmission and or clutch. The symptoms are rough shifting especially in 1st and 2nd, grinding and a general notchyness after warm-up. See video below:

VIDEO0010.mp4 video by product42 - Photobucket Unfortunately it's hard to hear all the clunking around.

Please post up you car's info including build date if possible.
Please describe the symptoms you're having and when they began to occur. Please also list the results of any dealership interaction including repair.

Let's keep all off-topic info elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
I know I keep posting the same thing on this thread, but the pages are just increasing by the minute. I just want to let all the new members know that I am here to help. Please visit your Ford dealer first and if you need further assistance, please message me with your mileage, VIN, contact info, and dealer. Thank you for your support guys!:yelpleased:

Deysha

Last edited by 5POINTO; 07-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

J Orbit

J Orbit
2011 Mustang V6, 6-speed manual
Built in June 2010

Car purchased with 50 miles on the ODO, problems started occuring within a few days. 1st gear resists going into gear from a stop. It got noticibly worse and spread to 2nd gear by 400 miles and at 1400 was taken to the dealership. Service advisor replicated the problem even adding that "you can hear it banging". He agreed that this did not feel normal. Car has been in the shop for diangnosis and paint repair since 11/15/10

Apprentice

clutch or trans issue

Dacam
6 sp manual
Build date: 08/10

I have 450 miles on the car, the notchiness or slight grind has always been there since I bought the car. 1st gear seems like it doesn't go all the way into gear, 2nd seem really notchy or a slight grind going in. Its bad when the trans is cold, it gets smoother as it starts to warm up. The rest of the gears seems fine.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0: Performance White: Brembos: 3.73: 6sp: GT/CS front fascia: Boss 302 splitter: Roush billet grill: Steeda Ultralites: Tokiko D-spec : GT500 strut mounts: UMI adj.panbar: Steeda Billet LCA: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter: Airaid CAI: SCT Tuner w/Bama custom tune: Roush axle back:

Rookie
V6 Member

My original issue:
when driving at any gear, if I go over 2500 rpm to about 3000 RPM and then let the car role in the same gear, when it gets back down to 2500 RPM the gear shift starts to vibrate very noticeable. To a point that you can hear the inside panels shake. Most noticeably in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Pressing the clutch and then putting the car back into the same gear helps.
Ford solution: Ford has an inside announcement about the vibration in the shifter, According to them it is normal. It is due to the dual mass transmission. This is isolated to the V6 2011 model with a MT82 transmission.
They also said the dual mass is the reason for the need to use a bit of force when putting the car in gear.
According to the mechanic the transmission is a sport transmission that was adopted from an aftermarket trany that was created for the 2006 – 2009 Mustang
Someone else suggested that this is a racing type transmission and double shifting should help.

Car was build in the end of July, V6 3.7 2011, with MT
Apprentice

Coyoteugly
6 speed Manual GT
Build date: 6/10

My car has 2,700 miles on it and is showing the same symptoms as dacam's mustang. Except sometimes even when warm is still has issues to go into 1st and 2nd, plus notchy

11' Mustang GT
98' F-150 4X4
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

cathead
'11 v6, MT82
1700 miles
built 7/10

Mine is worst when cold, very difficult from 1st to 2nd. Gradually smooths out till full operating temp, then all is well. But then, symptoms return (not as bad) if I stop for half hour or more or if I cruise in 6th for half hour or more. Also slight grind when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 3500 rpm or more, even after warmed up. Taking it in Monday - first adventure with this dealer's service.
Apprentice

TalonFyre
2011 V6 with Performance Package
~1800 miles
Build Date: 10/4/2010

Like cathead, mine is also worst when cold. The loud "thunk" going into 2nd gear only happens when I pull out of the garage in the morning. Every subsequent gear change into 2nd does not produce a thunk. I have no deceleration vibration at all as some have described. In normal/semi-slow day-to-day driving (short shift between 2k and 2.5k RPM), the shifting into gears feels clunky but gets slightly better as the car warms up. Revving higher before shifting also lessens the shifter notchiness to an extent.

Recently made a discovery: not just revving higher before shifting, but actually giving it 30% or more of throttle before shifting makes the gear change much much smoother. This is as opposed to just feathering the throttle, letting the revs hit 2k or so at a slow pace and then shifting. Increasing torque output before shift makes it better? This may reinforce the fact that this is a sport/race type transmission.

Taking it to the dealer next Friday for sanity check.

2011 Mustang V6 MCA PP Manual
PONY Member

JimmyM
2011 V6 Performance Package
Built 9/18

1st gear feels like it doesn't want to go all the way in. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is very rugged and often produces a CLUNK sound. Other gears feel fine.

About 400 miles on the odometer.

For those taking their cars to the dealer, please keep us updated.

2011 V6 PP -> 2012 5.0
Rookie

2011 V6 Performance Package

Hey guys,

First time poster. I'm glad I finally found other people with this same issue. I bought my car about 4 weeks ago. Still having trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd. Almost feels like I don't have the clutch pressed all the way. If I shift into 1st at a stoplight it will feel stiff but then I will back out into neutral and back into 1st and its very smooth again. Noticed the problem the entire time I've owned it, but it's my first manual car so I didn't think anything of it at first. The interesting thing is that it seems completely random. I cannot figure out any cause to this problem (ie: cold weather, pressing the clutch too long, jamming it into gear too hard). Almost like there is no rhyme or reason to each occurrence. I'm waiting to hear if anyone has solved this problem at the dealership yet before I take it in. Can anyone tell me if a solution has been reached with this? And if not, please keep us informed.
Thanks
Apprentice

I have it

H All,

I have the problem as well. Worse when cold and effects 1-2 primarily with a little bit 2-3. Gets better when car has been driven. Funny thing is that it does not seem to be ann issue at all when going down eg 3-2, 2-1 - only the upshifts. Going to shop on Wed. Car was built in June and has about 3200 miles on it.

2011 Mustang GT Coupe Premium
Kona Blue
Stone Interior
Security Package
HID
Brembo Brake Package
6 sp MT
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

guitarhurricane
2011 Mustang GT, 6-speed manual
Built in May 2010

Car purchased with about 90 miles on the ODO, the rough shifting has developed fairly recently. At the moment, it's only on the 1-2 shift, and it's absolutely lousy when cold, it feels like it's clunking into gear. Once it's warmed up, it feels much better.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
FordService

Hi guys,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I have been reading about the rough shifting on your Mustangs and it sounds upsetting. I would like to recommend you to please bring this up to your local dealerships attention so they can find the root cause of the concern. Also, I encourage anyone in the U.S. who has experienced this clutch issue on their 2011 Mustang to PM me your VIN and any relevant information so I can look into this further for you and get it properly documented in our systems. I would love to help.

Deysha
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadiaman View Post
H All,

I have the problem as well. Worse when cold and effects 1-2 primarily with a little bit 2-3. Gets better when car has been driven. Funny thing is that it does not seem to be ann issue at all when going down eg 3-2, 2-1 - only the upshifts. Going to shop on Wed. Car was built in June and has about 3200 miles on it.
You know what, you're right. Mine doesn't seem to have a problem downshifting, only up. Much, much worse when cold... and it's -20*C plus wind right now = -30*C. Since the troubles are from 1 to 2 and sometimes 3, I wonder if the Skip Shift is the root cause? Have you noticed that even at low speed and low RPM, the car stops you from putting the shifter into 1st? I've have been using Skip Shift on icy roads and it works very well for that. I will say with AdvanceTrac, ABS and winter tires, this car rocks in the winter!

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Has anyone who "tuned out" the Skip Shift feature with an after market tune, experienced the rough up-shifting in low gears? :?:

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

J Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
You know what, you're right. Mine doesn't seem to have a problem downshifting, only up. Much, much worse when cold... and it's -20*C plus wind right now = -30*C. Since the troubles are from 1 to 2 and sometimes 3, I wonder if the Skip Shift is the root cause? Have you noticed that even at low speed and low RPM, the car stops you from putting the shifter into 1st? I've have been using Skip Shift on icy roads and it works very well for that. I will say with AdvanceTrac, ABS and winter tires, this car rocks in the winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
Has anyone who "tuned out" the Skip Shift feature with an after market tune, experienced the rough up-shifting in low gears? :?:
I don't believe skip-shift was an option for the V6 cars and many V6ers are having shifting issues.

I got my car back from the dealer last week, it was getting some paint bubbles repaired and they attempted to diagnose the shifting issue. Long story short, they couldn't diagnose it at the time so I'm waiting to hear back after they coordinate with an engineer. Ford has been updating me regularly.

In the meantime the car still shifts rough; warmed up or cold. I've been shifting into 2nd at 3k RPMs which seems to make it less clunky but even at higher RPMs 1st to 2nd still doesn't feel right. It's hard to tell if it actually engages. 1st and 2nd just don't have that solid engaged feel as the other gears do so it's hard to tell if it actually is in 2nd. Starting from a dead stop is where it gets really annoying. When stopped at an intersection I sometimes will keep it in 1st with the clutch pushed so I don't have to try and fumble it into gear when the light changes. It's a workout on the knee for sure...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 , manual transmission , notchy , rough shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page