How to: Disable Skip Shift - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
Just to remind (as I have posted this before..):

The FSE stated there is absolutely, 100% no harm done when unplugging skip=shift.

Essentially, I would presume that there is nothing possible to fail with the feature turned off... even if the computer realizes it is unplugged, and unless it's shooting a check engine light code or something to annoy you, there should be nothing to be harmed in unplugging it.
Totally agree as there are no issues with my car and I have had it unplugged for about 3800 miles.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

With my 3.73 gears 99% of the time i will start my car from second gear so i have never run into skip shift except when i was trying to "find it".

PONY Member

Me too, i start my car in 2nd gear half the time. I got the car 3 months and i have yet to run into skip shift. I think it's the way i drive. I have 3.73 and my 'normal' shift point is 3500rpm.

My Junk POS MT82 and tens of thousand POS mt82 survived TWO winters. How can it be? It's suppose to whine and grind all winter!!!! I love troll myth
2012 GT Premium, Glass Roof, 3.73, MT82, HID+SEC, 401A, MGW shifter, Gt500 muffler, Clear bra, 3M tint

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
Hello. This is my first post to the forums and the reason for registering was specifically for the skip shifting.

For those who disabled the skip shifting, have you experienced any problems, warranty issues, warning lights, warning codes......basically anything negative, since you disconnected the plug?

I would appreciate any and all feedback from those who did this disable and can provide reassurance it's safe to do.

Thank you
I just ran a Vehicle Health report and got no warnings for the Engine, Transmission & Emission section, the section is green with a check mark and says "ok." Interesting though, I just ran the car in the driveway, car in neutral with the parking brake on and the Brakes and Suspension section has a warning to check the parking brake. I guess they assume the driver will request the health report during normal driving.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

PONY Member

Here is a screen capture of the Vehicle Health Report. As stated earlier, the warning in the Brakes & Suspension section is because I was parked in the driveway with the parking brake on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMR.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	138129  

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
Just to remind (as I have posted this before..):

The FSE stated there is absolutely, 100% no harm done when unplugging skip=shift.

Essentially, I would presume that there is nothing possible to fail with the feature turned off... even if the computer realizes it is unplugged, and unless it's shooting a check engine light code or something to annoy you, there should be nothing to be harmed in unplugging it.
Agreed. There is no harm that can be done. I was just pointed out that the service manual has a DTC code listed for it. Perhaps it only looks at it when the solenoid is connected, but it clearly is looking at voltage and capacitance in the circuit from the system diagram.

Basically, there is no harm it can do, The only harm would be it either triggers a code that is detected during an emissions check or a Tech looks for it similar to how they physically look to see if you have cats....

go ahead and unplug it.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Manual, Black, C&L Racer Intake w/ Bama Perf tune
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditgt View Post
Agreed. There is no harm that can be done. I was just pointed out that the service manual has a DTC code listed for it. Perhaps it only looks at it when the solenoid is connected, but it clearly is looking at voltage and capacitance in the circuit from the system diagram.

Basically, there is no harm it can do, The only harm would be it either triggers a code that is detected during an emissions check or a Tech looks for it similar to how they physically look to see if you have cats....

go ahead and unplug it.
Another user that just installed the FRPP pack with the K&N filter, the tune and the mufflers just confirmed that unplugging the solenoid caused a DTC code to be read when he went to install the tune. He had to plug it back up to clear the code.

In short, unplugging it will not do any damage, but it will eventually trigger a DTC code as indicated in the shop manual.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Manual, Black, C&L Racer Intake w/ Bama Perf tune
GT Member

I shift at 3500 to 4k every time i never noticed any skip shift...

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Apprentice

which vehicles have the skip shift? *scratching head*

2007 Mustang GT/CS Sponsored by Trufiber , Whiteline, Cipherauto, 3D HD Carcare, RJ Coatings, Alameda Park, San diego auto body and paint, San diego tire and wheel. President/Founder Of "HEADLESS HORSEMEN"
Apprentice

Disregard the previous post...i found this on another forum....

For the 3.7L V6 with 3.31 axle ratio, shift according to the following chart:
Upshifts when accelerating (recommended for best fuel economy)
Shift from:
1 - 2 13 mph (21 km/h)
2 - 3 26 mph (42 km/h)
3 - 4 37 mph (59 km/h)
4 - 5 43 mph (69 km/h)
5 - 6 59 mph (95 km/h)

For the 5.0L V8, shift according to the following chart:
Shift from (When not in skip shift mode):
1 - 2 17 mph (27 km/h)
2 - 3 25 mph (40 km/h)
3 - 4 40 mph (64 km/h)
4 - 5 45 mph (72 km/h)
5 - 6 50 mph (80 km/h)

Shift from (When skip shift mode active):
1-4 17 mph (27 km/h)
4-5 25 mph (40 km/h)
5-6 40 mph (64 km/h)

Skip Shift (if equipped) (V8 engines only)
This feature locks out 2 (Second) and 3 (Third) gears for improved fuel
economy. If the message center displays 1–> 4 SHIFT, shift the
transmission directly from 1 (First) to 4 (Fourth), otherwise you can
shift normally. Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster

2007 Mustang GT/CS Sponsored by Trufiber , Whiteline, Cipherauto, 3D HD Carcare, RJ Coatings, Alameda Park, San diego auto body and paint, San diego tire and wheel. President/Founder Of "HEADLESS HORSEMEN"
PONY Member

Arrow OK dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditgt View Post

go ahead and unplug it.
I just unplugged it on my LS. Will go grab a burger and see how it feels. The skip shift gets shut down with the red key anyways. Will get back to 'Ya. C- YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
PONY Member

Yhank-you Bros !

Thank you. ! I don't think I'll ever have a missed shift ever again. Skip shift disabled. It could be that the MT 82 is a decent tranny after all. AAAAND I am in no hurry to get a shifter now !! "Whooda guessed ?? LS rockin Like it 'shoulda the past 1,000 mi. Just hit 1,050 and things are grand !!
Apprentice

This is on my to-do list. I HATE SKIP SHIFT!

Mustang GT 2012 Kona Blue, MT82, Brembo, 401A, Security/Rear sensing, Spoiler delete, Bassani AB.
PONY Member

VERY easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberalized View Post
This is on my to-do list. I HATE SKIP SHIFT!
Dang right !! Give yourself a little present like I did. NOW I can actually toss the key to a friend and say try it , you'll like it !! Before the disable I would have been embarassed and probably be told that my LS is a piece 'O crap. :kooky:
PONY Member

Thumbs up Any corresponding RPM figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVER101 View Post
Disregard the previous post...i found this on another forum....

For the 3.7L V6 with 3.31 axle ratio, shift according to the following chart:
Shift from:
1 - 2 13 mph (21 km/h)
2 - 3 26 mph (42 km/h)
3 - 4 37 mph (59 km/h)
4 - 5 43 mph (69 km/h)
5 - 6 59 mph (95 km/h)

For the 5.0L V8, shift according to the following chart:
Shift from (When not in skip shift mode):
1 - 2 17 mph (27 km/h)
2 - 3 25 mph (40 km/h)
3 - 4 40 mph (64 km/h)
4 - 5 45 mph (72 km/h)
5 - 6 50 mph (80 km/h)

Shift from (When skip shift mode active):
1-4 17 mph (27 km/h)
4-5 25 mph (40 km/h)
5-6 40 mph (64 km/h)

Skip Shift (if equipped) (V8 engines only)
This feature locks out 2 (Second) and 3 (Third) gears for improved fuel
economy. If the message center displays 1> 4 SHIFT, shift the
transmission directly from 1 (First) to 4 (Fourth), otherwise you can
shift normally. Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster
It appears Ford is ALMOST encouraging us to slightly lug the engine. What a sweeet motor the 5.0 is. Power down low AND all the way up. Yours was the best explanation of the skip shift. Now I know exactly what I de-activated. And just in time for Grinchmas !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
disable skip shift , how to , skip shift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page