How to: Disable Skip Shift - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cool How to: Disable Skip Shift

If you are running the car without an aftermarket tune, but still want to get rid of the skip shift, all you have to do is disconnect the electrical connector going to the skip shift solenoid.

You can see exactly where it is, as shown on the following PDF:
Ford Service Manuals - IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

I haven't done this yet, I plan on doing it tomorrow.

Forum member Coyote5.0Ryder HAS done it, and has confirmed that the car will NOT throw a MIL.

When I do this tomorrow, I will take pictures showing the connector that must be unplugged.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Clever! But to be honest, it's pretty unobtrusive. I don't think the skip-shifty thing happened to me more than 4 times in the past 3k miles.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
Apprentice

Skip Shift.............

Nice!

Apprentice

I get rather annoyed by the skip shift at times. Will be something I might do...in about 5 minutes.

2011 GT MT82 - Boss I.M. - BBK LTH - Custom OR-X - Custom Exhaust - AED E85 Tune - FRPP 47lb/hr Injectors - UMI Adjustable Panhard - JPC Adjustable UCA - UMI LCA's - BMR LCA Relocation - Rear Seat X-Brace - Front STB - Anti Roll Bar - FRPP K Springs - Koni STR.T Struts - GT500 Strut Mounts - Strange Adjustable Shocks - MGW Shifter - JHR Clutch Line - Exedy Mach 600 Clutch - Billet Flywheel - Seperate Clutch Fluid Reservoir w/ Dot 5 Fluid - Nitto 555r 305/40R18 - Weight: 3380 w/ Driver
Apprentice

Awesome...thank goodness it can be done quickly and without throwing a code. I hate skip shift with a passion. For whatever reason, I always seem to get hit by it. Lately, I have been training myself to shift around it, but it still gets annoying when it occasionally actuates.

Current: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, 6mt, 401A (Cashmere), Security pkg., Brembo brake pkg., Comfort pkg., 3.73 gears, Electronics pkg.

Previous: 1967 Mustang Fastback, Aqua, 351W, C4 auto, pure unadulterated awesome
PONY Member

Please explain what the skip shift does. How can you tell it skip shifts?

2012 White Red Stripes GT500 540/522
-SW Full exhaust -2.8 Metco pulley
2004 White Lightning C&L CAI,exhaust,tuned
2011 Sterling Grey5.0 SOLD
3.73-M6-MGW-AED tuned-JBA Full exhaust-BMR Suspension-423/401
PONY Member
S197 Member

From 1st it goes to 4th when shifting at lower rpm. You'll feel it push the stick over and will lug a bit. If you shift above about 2500 you'll never know it exists.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Grabber Blue, 400A, MT82, 3.73, glass roof, acc pkg4, OTT white stripes, Roush Axlebacks
6/4 Order, 8/16 Build, 9/9 Arrived

1986 Mustang GT 5.0(sold)
1983 Capri RS 5.0(sold)
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Want to know how to disable skip shift forever? Easy:

Don't drive like a frigging grandma! It's a damn Mustang GT for crying out loud! Put your foot on the gas pedal and rev that badboy up. I've seen the skip shift light 2 times since purchasing the car. And that was only because I wanted to see if this feature actually worked. Otherwise I never see it pop up. Why do you ask? Because I drive my stang like it was meant to be driven!

Who's with me?!!!!!!!

P.S. - no offense to those that want to pamper and keep their driving under 2500 RPM. I'm just not one of those guys.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
-Sterling Grey, 3.73 Gears, 6 speed MT, 400A Spec, Accessory pkg 4, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Airaid CAI and Bama Custom Tunes. Wooo hoooo!!!!!
PONY Member

When creeping ahead in traffic, to make a left turn especially, I get the damn skip shift. It frosts my a$$! I can't wait to disable it. I'd love to to tromp it, but you can't in traffic. Well, I guess you could...once!
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTread View Post
When creeping ahead in traffic, to make a left turn especially, I get the damn skip shift. It frosts my a$$! I can't wait to disable it. I'd love to to tromp it, but you can't in traffic. Well, I guess you could...once!
Just give the guy in front of you a head start. Then stomp on it!!!

Wooo hoooo !!!!!!!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
-Sterling Grey, 3.73 Gears, 6 speed MT, 400A Spec, Accessory pkg 4, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Airaid CAI and Bama Custom Tunes. Wooo hoooo!!!!!
PONY Member
S197 Member

When in traffic I stay in first till 2600 rpm, which avoids it. It's still babying the engine and stays quiet enough even with the Roush.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Grabber Blue, 400A, MT82, 3.73, glass roof, acc pkg4, OTT white stripes, Roush Axlebacks
6/4 Order, 8/16 Build, 9/9 Arrived

1986 Mustang GT 5.0(sold)
1983 Capri RS 5.0(sold)
Rookie

Can anybody confirm this?
post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sorry I didn't get back to this early, I ended up having to work...but I can confirm that it works as advertised. No skip shift. No MIL. The skip shift message still comes up on the tach, but the shifter goes right into 2nd...no lockout.

I tried getting pictures, but with the solenoid and connector towards the top of the tranny, it was impossible. To locate the connector/solenoid, simply locate the fill bolt on the passenger's side of the tranny, and the connector/solenoid are directly above it.

You can see in the picture below, I taped and zip-tied the disconnected connector to a near bye wire. I taped the connector end itself to keep dirt and road grime out, so that if I should ever need to reconnect it, I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	4391
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	117246  

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGTguy View Post
Want to know how to disable skip shift forever? Easy:

Don't drive like a frigging grandma! It's a damn Mustang GT for crying out loud! Put your foot on the gas pedal and rev that badboy up. I've seen the skip shift light 2 times since purchasing the car. And that was only because I wanted to see if this feature actually worked. Otherwise I never see it pop up. Why do you ask? Because I drive my stang like it was meant to be driven!

Who's with me?!!!!!!!

P.S. - no offense to those that want to pamper and keep their driving under 2500 RPM. I'm just not one of those guys.
Guess you don't have any traffic in Tampa.

Not to mention, running the car hard when cold isn't a particularly intelligent thing to do.

GT Member

Maybe I'll try this. I hate the darn skip shift with a passion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
disable skip shift , how to , skip shift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page